Home Forums Movies Oscars 2018: What if "Big Little Lies" was a movie?

Oscars 2018: What if "Big Little Lies" was a movie?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Miles
J H
distain
  • AlexVieira
    Participant
    Topics:

I know that this probably sounds terribly stupid, but just consider that for a second. I watched Big Little Lies twice a couple of weeks ago and I just loved it so much – IT’S REALLY DAMN GOOD, no joke.

In which categories do you think it’d be competing? Do you think it’d win Best Picture? I believe that Nicole Kidman would just kill brutally Allison Janney (Supporting Actress category). What about Alexander Skarsgård? And the editing? – It’s so amazing!

So, what’re your thoughts?

• This topic was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  AlexVieira.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  AlexVieira.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  AlexVieira.
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t read the book so I don’t really know which parts they would keep for the movie but I think that if Nicole Kidman’s character was downsized for Reese Witherspoon’s arc then Nicole Kidman could win Supporting Actress. It probably would not win Picture but I think it would get nominated. Adapted Screenplay is ridiculously weak this year so it definitely would get nominated for that. Could Reese Witherspoon be nominated? I don’t know, would Meryl be snubbed? She definitely would have gotten in at the Globes over Michelle Williams and maybe SAG.

Nominations for Big Little Lies Movie:

Likely-
    Best Picture
    Best Supporting Actress- Nicole Kidman (win)
    Best Adapted Screenplay

Dark Horse-
    Best Actress- Reese Witherspoon
    Best Production Design

Longshots-
    Best Director- Jean-Marc Vallee
    Best Supporting Actor- Alexander Skarsgard
    Best Editing

ReplyCopy URL
    J H
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve always wondered this about Angels in America which won everything.

ReplyCopy URL
    Michael Norris
    Participant
    Topics:

Shailene Woodley would probably be unjustly snubbed for the fourth time.

ReplyCopy URL
    distain
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the only sure thing is that Nicole Kidman would sweep the Best Actress awards all the way up to the Oscars.

The way she effortlessly destroyed a field of competitors that included Reese Witherspoon, Jessica Lange, Felicity Huffman, Carrie Coon, Susan Sarandon and Laura Dern was kinda legendary. It’s one thing to sweep against so-so competition, but to wipe out some of the best actresses on the planet in peak form is something special.

ReplyCopy URL
    distain
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t read the book so I don’t really know which parts they would keep for the movie but I think that if Nicole Kidman’s character was downsized for Reese Witherspoon’s arc then Nicole Kidman could win Supporting Actress. It probably would not win Picture but I think it would get nominated. Adapted Screenplay is ridiculously weak this year so it definitely would get nominated for that. Could Reese Witherspoon be nominated? I don’t know, would Meryl be snubbed? She definitely would have gotten in at the Globes over Michelle Williams and maybe SAG.

Nominations for Big Little Lies Movie:

Likely-
    Best Picture
    Best Supporting Actress- Nicole Kidman (win)
    Best Adapted Screenplay

Dark Horse-
    Best Actress- Reese Witherspoon
    Best Production Design

Longshots-
    Best Director- Jean-Marc Vallee
    Best Supporting Actor- Alexander Skarsgard
    Best Editing

Why would Kidman’s arc be downsized for Witherspoon’s? Kidman’s arc is the crux of the show. Everything ultimately leads to her abusive relationship. Even the murder subplot. No way Kidman gets relegated to supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Kidman vs McDormand would be such an epic battle.

ReplyCopy URL
    J H
    Participant
    Topics:

Shailene Woodley would probably be unjustly snubbed for the fourth time.

i recall one time when she was justly snubbed.
    and no other time when she had any chance at all.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Kidman vs McDormand would be such an epic battle.

Both on their fifth nods and in Kidman’s case her fourth overall Best Actress bid.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

The quality displayed on the show is enough to believe this would’ve been a great film too. One does have to wonder what happens when they cut the story short, considering it was like an 8 hour show.

Considering that big “IF”, I think Nicole Kidman would’ve won easily over McDormand. Kidman being much more famous would’ve given her the edge, and the role goes perfectly with the #metoo movement, much more than McDormand who is not playing the actual victim.

Kidman, the actress, the idea of her second Oscar, would’ve gotten all of you excited and you would’ve abandoned everybody else for Kidman. I suspect the media and voters would’ve done the same.

Witherspoon gets her third nod. She didn’t get her deserved nods for Election or Legally Blonde, let her get one for the combination of the two perfomances. Laura Dern gets her third too and could win over Metcalf and/or Janney.

With this cast and again, the quality of the show, I think this would’ve been “a thing”, a big hit. And a hit with nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

I highly doubt Dern gets nominated. She already has limited screentime in the miniseries so I think her part would get majorly cut down in the movie. Also if Kidman is lead, I also don’t think that Witherspoon would also be nominated. That would be two spots in the already stacked Lead Actress race and that would mean Streep and possibly Robbie would be outed and I don’t see that happening.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

No way Witherspoon gets nominated if Kidman is lead. I do think Dern would probably be nominated though, as long as her performance is basically the same as the show.

ReplyCopy URL
    PerksofBeingGriff
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve always wondered this about Angels in America which won everything.

Mary Louise Parker would have won and had a much bigger film career like she deserves. I’ll never forget her in Fried Green Tomatoes.

Kidman and Witherspoon would have both been nominated at the Globes and Critics Choice, but Kidman being present at every awards show. Woodley and Dern would get in at the Globes and SAG, but Woodley would be snubbed. Supporting actress would be like 2008. Dern, Janney, Metcalf, and Manville all winning somewhere.

Big Little Lies would have won ensemble at SAG. Reese would be the person to give the speech.

I think 3 Billboards would be squashed by this film. I also imagined them going for a bigger name like Gyllenhaal to replace Skarsgard because it’s a film. He’d be a threat to Rockwell.

“Someone is staring at you in ‘Personal Growth’.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I know that this probably sounds terribly stupid, but just consider that for a second. I watched Big Little Lies twice a couple of weeks ago and I just loved it so much – IT’S REALLY DAMN GOOD, no joke.

In which categories do you think it’d be competing? Do you think it’d win Best Picture? I believe that Nicole Kidman would just kill brutally Allison Janney (Supporting Actress category). What about Alexander Skarsgård? And the editing? – It’s so amazing!

So, what’s your thoughts?

If O.J.: Made In America could be made eligible for the Oscars in spite of technically being a TV program with a running time of several hours, I think HBO should have done the same with Big Little Lies, considering how much the industry loved it. The show would be sweeping the big awards this year. The only major category I’m not sure it would win is Adapted Screenplay, both because it lost the Writing Award at the Emmys and because James Ivory is so overdue and Call Me By Your Name is so beloved.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

No way Witherspoon gets nominated if Kidman is lead. I do think Dern would probably be nominated though, as long as her performance is basically the same as the show.

Disagree. I think Witherspoon and Kidman both knock out Meryl Streep and, as painful as it for me to say this, Margot Robbie in I, Tonya, considering how much the latter film under-performed in nominations following its guild recognition at PGA, ACE Eddie (where it won), and WGA.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Oscars 2018: What if "Big Little Lies" was a movie?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.