Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

The Lumiere nominations usually come out in mid to late December; the Cesar nominations in late January. As a lover of French cinema I was curious to see what some of the French films are that are eligible.

Paul Verhoeven’s Elle is the French Best Foreign Language Film entry for 2016. Isabelle Huppert has won the Gotham Independent, New York Film Critics and Los Angeles Film Critics prizes (also for Things To Come). Laurent Lafittte, Anne Consigny, Charles Berling, Judith Magre and newcomer Jonas Bloquet all give terrific performances.

Mia Hanson-Love’s Things To Come is my favorite French film I have seen from 2016. Besides Huppert’s beautiful central perf., Andre Marcon, Roman Kolinka and Edith Scob are all superb.

Francois Ozon’s Frantz is in black-and-white. German actress Paula Beer co-stars with Pierre Niney.

Olivier Assayas’ Personal Shopper stars Kristen Stewart.

Divines (Director and Star Uda Bejamina) has gotten great reviews.

Stephanie DiGustio’s The Dancer is a biopic about Isadora Duncan. Lily-Rose Melody Depp plays Duncan, with supporting roles for Gaspard Ulliel, SoKo, and Melanie Thierry.

Xavier Dolan’s It’s Only the end of the World got lukewarm reviews here but was better liked in France.

Jerome Salle’s The Odyssey is a biopic about Jacques Cousteau. Lambert Wilson, Pierre Niney and Audrey Tatou.

Radu Mihaileanu’s english language The History of Love.

The Belgians, the Dardennes’ The Unknown Girl stars Adele Haenel and Jeremie Renier.

Bertrand Bonello’s Nocturama stars Vincent Rottiers and Finnegan Oldfield.

Heaven Will Wait has Clotilde Courau, Sandrine Bonnaire and newcomer Noemie Merlavet

Emmanuelle Bercot’s 150 Milligrams looks like a likely nominee. Last year’s supporting Cesar winners Sidse Babbett Knudsen and Benoit Magimel star.

Philippe Lioret’s A Kid (Le fils de Jean) stars one of my favorites, Pierre Deladonchamps.

Nicole Garcia’s From the Land of the Moon stars Marion Cotillard.

Sebastian Marnier’s Faultless stars Marina Fois and Jeremie Elkaim.

Berenice Bejo and Cedric Kahn star in After Love, whcih has garnered some good reviews.

Katell Quillevere’s Heal the Living stars Tahar Rahim, Emmanuelle Seigner and Anne Dorval

Juliette Binoche stars in Polina

These are the ones I have heard of so far…. Looking forward to learning about more of the potential nominees!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.