Home Forums Movies Question re Kate Winslet – Leading / Supporting 2008

Question re Kate Winslet – Leading / Supporting 2008

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
vozas
Gabriel
BrokenFan
  • dude93
    Topics:

Can someone explain why Kate Winslet was nominated for the Globe for supporting actress in 2008 for The Reader, and then won the Oscar for best leading actress for that movie…? I remember there being discussion on some of these forums in passing about Winslet’s hopping from one category to another… What was the deal with this? Why didn’t she go supporting for the Oscars? If she had done, was there someone else who may have won the best actress title that year, and would Winslet have won the supporting trophy anyway?

Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

It was a moment of sanity for Winslet to not get nominated in supporting for The Reader. Actors place actors where they want, and she had more votes in lead for The Reader than she did for Revolutionary Road.

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

I think because Revolutionary Road wasn’t going to be a big player at the Oscar so they switched her categories at the last minute to improve her chances, which worked because The Reader was a BP nominee (god knows why) and she finally won. If she was placed in supporting, I think lead would have went to Streep or Hathaway and yes, I think she would have beaten Penelope Cruz. The thirst was strong with that one. 

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

Was her role in The Reader truly a leading or supporting role though? Was it understandable for her to be petitioned in either category?

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

I think it was a supporting one, but she’s a female lead…technically so…and also you have to realize that The Reader was a Weinstein film so I’m pretty sure he was a factor in the switch between the categories. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

It was a joke that she was ever considered supporting for her role in The Reader. Who was she supporting? If you took her out of the film, you wouldn’t have a film.

Her performance in The Reader is criminally underrated on these boards. It is for me her second best performance to date after Eternal Sunshine. It’s true that the film is not that great. But Daldry, for all of his clear and present flaws, does wonders with his actors.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

The consensus is that the category fraud came more from her preference to (hopefully) win for the film from her then husband. In this case, Weinstein wasn’t the main factor – she was. The  TWC wanted the film to get as many nominations as possible, so pushed her for supporting, which was fraudulent.

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

Campaignwise she was lead in Revolutionary Road and supporting in The Reader. SAG rules oblige voters to follow the submitted category placements and the HFPA is very pro-Weinstein and didn’t object. Yes, it was Winslet’s choice to go lead for Revolutionary Road, which was a passion project for both her and Sam Mendes. And RR was expected to be huge with Oscar voters. The book has a cult following and Winslet was considered overdue (something I don’t get, don’t blame me, but I don’t think that she’s delivered one performance that was clearly the best of the year). I believe that The Reader was supposed to be a 2009 release, but Harvey pushed it to 2008 (which led to a lot of negative press that he somehow managed to overcome).

In the end Winslet’s lead placement for The Reader has more to do with the Academy not liking RR while they liked The Reader. It’s not just about Harvey. The real proof of passion was the directing nomination. They liked the film. And I guess RR made them uncomfortable. To me it has many flaws, but it’s the better film of the two and while I don’t think that Winslet should have won in 2008, I consider her performance in RR worthy of a nomination, while her work in The Reader didn’t impress me. And to me she was totally miscast.

Had she stayed in supporting at the Oscars, I guess that she could have been a lead actress nominee, but actually could have been snubbed as well. Then Streep would have taken lead and Kate supporting.

But I’ve always wondered how close she was to being snubbed that year. Theoretically it’s possible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jackson Powell
    Participant
    Topics:

I do think that Kate will win again.  she’s really beloved, myself included.  However I did think Hilary was just as deserving for Million Dollar Baby as Kate was for Eternal Sunshine

ReplyCopy URL
    vozas
    Topics:

Winslet is one of my favorite actresses, but I think she’s just OK in The Reader. I think she did the best she could with a character which is by default an empty shell of a human being, and I think she was perfectly cast for this. The first choice was Nicole Kidman, whom I adore but don’t think could’ve pulled it off, as Hanna does have an earthy quality to her that really isn’t like any of the characters whom Nicole tends to play.

Still, I thought she was better in The Reader than in Revolutionary Road, a quite terrible film with a direction that stupidly put all of its chips on a would-be chemistry between its too leads which never really catches fire given how out of control they seem to be from beginning to end.

Ultimately my favorite performances from Kate never really stood a chance. She’s fucking dynamite in Heavenly Creatures and absolute perfection in Eternal Sunshines of the Spotless Mind. I never bought her campaign as lead for that movie. She’s supporting. It’s all about Jim Carrey and to a certain extent Charlie Kaufman being so obsessed with Clementine the character. Had she gone supporting that year she really would have had a shot against Blanchett. There was a lot of passion behind Winslet’s performance that year and none of the nominees in Supp Actress were that inspiring (maybe Madsen but that was never gonna happen).

ReplyCopy URL
    vozas
    Topics:

I do think that Kate will win again.  she’s really beloved, myself included.  However I did think Hilary was just as deserving for Million Dollar Baby as Kate was for Eternal Sunshine

Imelda Staunton is still my pick for that year, easily. And as I said in my post above I’ve always had Winslet in Supporting for ESOTSM in my personal ballots.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll never understand why Academy voters placed her in lead…only to ignore even worse category frauds thereafter.

ReplyCopy URL
    vozas
    Topics:

Yes they should’ve intervened in these frauds more often but it’s good that they did it there. Penélope really deserved that Oscar. Plus the best actress winner would’ve probably been Meryl for that razzie-worthy turn in Doubt. Seriously she’s like fucking godzilla rampaging through Tokyo in that movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Milo Kunis
    Participant
    Topics:

I may dodge a few bullets for this one, but:

I think Winslet is the most overrated actress of her generation. I have yet to see a performance of hers that I thought truly deserved an Academy Award.

I was strangely happy when she won in 2009, as I knew she would continue to be nominated for one snoozy performance after another until she did. Had she stayed in Supporting at the Oscars, she would have easily won. Best Actress would have probably gone to Anne Hathaway, hopefully, as I strongly disliked Streep’s performance in Doubt. Regardless, I always preferred her performance in Revoluntionary Road, and the film as a whole over The Reader.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

I like Winslet, but I also think she is overrated as an actress. For me, her American accent can be off at times, and she has a tendency to overact at times too.

The Reader was awful Oscar bait crap that shouldn’t have been nominated for anything. Anne Hathaway should have won easily that year (and this is coming from someone who isn’t a Hathaway fan – I think she geuinely gave the better performance).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
Reply To: Question re Kate Winslet – Leading / Supporting 2008

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.