Home Forums Movies Ranking The 2016 Acting Winners

Ranking The 2016 Acting Winners

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Here is how I would rank the acting winners from this year:

1. Brie Larson- The best in her field that deservingly swept up the Best Actress race. She also finally gets the true breakthrough she’s been deserving of for quite some time.

2. Mark Rylance- An amazing upset win for a refined, understated performance (quite rare, I might add).

3. Alicia Vikander- Fraud and terrible film aside, Vikander really was terrific in TDG and I like to think she not only won for her performance in this but also for Testament Of Youth and Ex Machina.

4. Leonardo DiCaprio- Even if it wasn’t his absolute best performance, DiCaprio was really good as always and it was about time he took home the trophy.  

How about you guys? 

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Brie Larson – Room
    2. Leonardo DiCaprio – The Revenant
    3. Mark Rylance – Bridge of Spies
    4. Alicia Vikander – The Danish Girl 

Larson, DiCaprio and Rylance all made my personal top five in their respective categories. Vikander was in my Supporting Actress 5, but for Ex Machina. Larson was my personal winner for Best Actress.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Kevin Jacobsen
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Brie Larson – Room
    A career-defining performance by an actress I’ve been following for years. Even outside of my bias, she really blew me away, and as you said, deservedly swept.

2. Mark Rylance – Bridge of Spies
    Such a quiet, restrained performance that was easily the best part of Bridge of Spies. The rare actor who can be at his most powerful in his quiet moments.

3. Leonardo DiCaprio – The Revenant
    Obviously he gave it his all for this role and it was nice to see a different side of him. But this isn’t anywhere close to being his best performance.

4. Alicia Vikander – The Danish Girl
    Still baffled that this performance gained enough traction to win over such clearly better performances. It’s just fulfills the “suffering wife” stereotype and I don’t think she added anything more. This win will easily be forgotten as early as a year from now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Monty
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Mark Rylance
    2. Brie Larson
    3. Alicia Vikander
    4. Leonardo Dicaprio

Rylance as Abel is so magnetic. His part is not baity at all but he single-handedly transformed him into a vivid, compelling character. My indistinct told me Larson gave a better performance than Rylance because her role is so much more baity. I think all the acting winners this year are very deserved. (Last year I was underwhelmed by Moore and Arquette’s performance).

ReplyCopy URL
    Mitchell Plah
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Vikander – Great performance but I’m pretty sure she was rewarded for her body of work last year. 7 films? Wow. I actually had her in 2nd place in my personal top 5 in that category since I thought Mara was simply amazing.

2. Rylance – Wonderful and subtle performance. I’m more glad that Stallone lost tbh. Never understood his hype. Also had him 2nd in my personal Top 5 (Hardy 1st)

3. Brie – Along with Leo the most predictable award of the night. Had her 3rd after Rampling and Ronan who both were spectacular imo

4. Leo – Great performance in a really, really weak year for Lead actor. Had him 2nd after Fassbender. 

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Rylance – More is not always more, and while his win wasn’t as nice of a moment as Stallone’s might have been he still gave the most layered performance in his category.

2. Larson – She finds her way into a nearly impossible to imagine circumstance intelligently and counter-intuitively to many actresses who might have been inclined to take it in a cheaper, louder route.

3. Vikander – Even setting her stellar body of work this year aside, she anchored her film with stunning grace and dignity. I probably do prefer this performance to Larson’s, but in ranking the winners she loses points with me by virtue of category fraudulence (which I blame the voters for, more). 

4. DiCaprio – Lots of effort with little substance gained in the end. It’s his trademark furrowed-brow intensity in the snow, which has been utilized to more interesting use in several other films. But it’s hard to complain too much when actual good work by lead actors gets overlooked by the Academy — Géza Röhrig, Michael B. Jordan, Tom Courtenay, Andrew Garfield, Paul Dano, Abraham Attah, Jacob Tremblay, Jason Segel, and Christopher Abbott just to name a few. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Rooney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

1-Mark Rylance(Only one who would also make my list.)
    2-Brie Larson(Good but not great)

3-Leonardo DiCaprio

(Wage+age gap between men and women in Holywood)
    4-Alicia Vikander. Can’t stand cheating. Her having more screentime and being more focus of her movie than both her lead co-star and this years Lead Actress winner shows how fucked up this system is. You don’t think you are strong enough to win in Lead? No problem.Just shift to supporting and steal another person’s trophy. Would have said the same thing if Mara won. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Brie Larson (marvelous work, even if Tremblay’s better)
    2. Leonardo DiCaprio (not quite DiCaprio’s finest turn, but still a commanding, thrilling, engaging performance)
    3. Alicia Vikander (a solid performance that particularly stands out in a lackluster picture)
    4. Mark Rylance (a sleepy, one-note performance, not even one of the best parts of a film that’s merely “pretty good”)

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Rylance (the only one who I might give the win) > Vikander (great performance but should have been in a lead) > Di Caprio (Was impressed by him but Fassbender should have beaten him easily) > Brie Larson ( the only one of the four I don’t consider Oscar worthy at all- a good performance but Tremblay outshone her and people like Smith, Blanchett, Vikander should have won here instead)

ReplyCopy URL
    shart
    Topics:

1.  Leonardo Dicaprio.  A new phase of his career with The Revenant.  For one, he really fits into this performance extremely well.  He looks and acts like he could be the father of his nearly grown son, a first for him.  He also carries an air of someone who is wary and taciturn, and that’s also something new from him.  It’s a nearly silent performance but it also convinces that this is a man who might be able to survive all the incredible things he does.  The moment at the end when it’s clear to him that he’s lost everything and the way his hint of a smile fades away.  Maybe not his greatest performance but certainly good enough and his other work makes up for any real deficiencies (which I think are indeed few).
    2. Brie Larson, the story of the year in terms of not quite known talent.  A great performance.
    3. Mark Rylance, another big story in that he has been everywhere this year, if somewhat subdued — Wolf Hall, Broadway, and Bridge of Spies and seems to have scored something everywhere.  A subdued but dynamite performance in Bridge of Spies, stealing his scenes from Tom Hanks, another well known scene stealer.
    4. Alicia Vikander, scoring 2 fine performances in the same year and her leading man in a possible other one coming up soon (lucky girl).

ReplyCopy URL
    benutty
    Keymaster
    Topics:

1 – 3: tie
    4. Brie Larson 

ReplyCopy URL
    TerenceFletcher
    Participant
    Topics:

Haven’t seen Vikander but:

1. Larson
    2. DiCaprio
    3. Rylance 

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Larson 2. Vikander 3. DiCaprio 4. Rylance

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Mark Rylance
    2. Brie Larson – she was good but that was “old racist bitch” Oscar
    3. Leonardo DiCaprio – his weakest nominated performance to date but he was so oh overdue

1000. Alicia Vikander – she actually gave the best performance out of those winners but I fucking despise category fraud so for me she’s second worst winner ever in this particular category

ReplyCopy URL
    sturnc
    Participant
    Topics:

If I pretend Vikander won for Ex Machina:
    1. Vikander
    2. Larson
    3. Rylance
    4. DiCaprio
    If I accept reality:
    1. Larson
    2. Rylance
    3. Vikander
    4. DiCaprio 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.