Home Forums Movies Suite française (2014)

Suite française (2014)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
K-Hole
Gabriel
TomHardys
  • AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

Director: Saul Dibb (The Duchess)

Starring: Michelle Williams (Brokeback Mountain, Blue Valentine, My Week with Marylin, Matthias Schoenaerts (Rust and Bone),Kristin Scott Thomas (The English Patient, Gosford Park, Only God Forgives), Sam Riley (On the Road), Ruth Wilson (Anna Karenina,The Lone Ranger), Margot Robbie (The Wolf of Wall Street, About Time)  

Screenplay: 
    Matt Charman,  Saul Dibb
    Composer:  Alexandre Desplat

Producers: Romain Bremond, Andrea Cornwell, Michael Kuhn,
    Xavier Marchand 

Co-financed by Alliance Films, Qwerty Films, Scope Pictures, TF1 Droits Audiovisuels, BBC Films
    $20 million budget
    Distributer
    : TF1 Droits Audiovisuels, Entertainment One, The Weinstein Company and BBC FilmsA24,

Set in 1940s France and based on the international best-selling work of Irène Némirovsky, SUITE FRANÇAISE. In Nazi-occupied France, Lucile Angellier awaits news from her husband, a prisoner of war, while leading a stifled existence with her domineering mother-in-law. When Parisian refugees pour into their small town, soon followed by a regiment of German soldiers who take up residence in the villagers’ homes, her life is turned upside down. Lucille tries to ignore Bruno, the German commander who has been posted at her house, but she soon falls in love with him.

Principal photography started 24 June 2013 until late August, spending eight weeks shooting in Belgium and eight days in France.
    Filming also took place in the village of Marville in the Meuse department. Principal photography was completed on 2 September 2013.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/first-images-from-suite-francaise-starring-michelle-williams-matthias-schoenaerts-plus-directors-statement-20130830
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/first-look-michelle-williams-suite-619342

AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

AMAZING novel. Probably one of the most under-appreciated works out there.
    So I am extremely excited for this film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Münster
    Participant
    Topics:

Kinda looking forward to this, because the novel is so good. It bothers me that all the anticipation seems to be about Williams’ latest Weinstein Oscar vehicle. Make no mistake people, Lucile Angellier is no Hanna Schmitz. This is a character so boring voters will have a hard time coming up with a reason to stand behind come awards season. But who knows, maybe they’ll botch the novel and give her something to do just for the awards prospect.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

More WWII era Oscar bait set in Europe with English speaking actors! Yay!

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Kinda looking forward to this, because the novel is so good. It bothers me that all the anticipation seems to be about Williams’ latest Weinstein Oscar vehicle. Make no mistake people, Lucile Angellier is no Hanna Schmitz. This is a character so boring voters will have a hard time coming up with a reason to stand behind come awards season. But who knows, maybe they’ll botch the novel and give her something to do just for the awards prospect.

It suits Michelle perfectly then.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stardust
    Participant
    Topics:

^ Lol.

Now whenever I see Robbie cast I think of the great Debicki (potentially the next Blanchett if given the opportunities) and her lack of notable film roles.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Will this be Kristin Scott Thomas’s final film? She’s recently announced she’s done with film acting.

ReplyCopy URL
    K-Hole
    Participant
    Topics:

Michelle Williams? Can she do a French accent? Or will all the Parisian characters speak with an American accent?

Don’t have anything personally against her, but still feel she (and/or Viola Davis, who probably belonged in supporting) stole a nomination from Tilda Swinton and Rachel Weisz in 2012.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

I bet all the french people will speak with english accents.

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Michelle Williams? Can she do a French accent? Or will all the Parisian characters speak with an American accent?

Don’t have anything personally against her, but still feel she (and/or Viola Davis, who probably belonged in supporting) stole a nomination from Tilda Swinton and Rachel Weisz in 2012.

True. My Personal Best Actress Line-Up that year was: Meryl Streep, Tilda Swinton, Kirsten Dunst, Rooney Mara and Viola Davis.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you mean Rachel Weisz for The Deep Blue Sea? Wasn’t eligilble that year as it hadn’t been released in US, though it’s a pity BAFTA ignored it. I agree that both her and Swinton were deserving of a nomination, even a win – far more than the last two winners.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

This sounds like it could be a huge BP contender but could also be a huge, huge disappointment.

Michelle Williams seems miscast among all of the other French talent. I’m surprised they didn’t go for a Marion Cotillard, Berenice Bejo or Melanie Laurent.

Is Saul Dibb reliable, or does material like this need somebody with a stronger track record?

ReplyCopy URL
    K-Hole
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Thespian”]Michelle Williams? Can she do a French accent? Or will all the Parisian characters speak with an American accent?

True. My Personal Best Actress Line-Up that year was: Meryl Streep, Tilda Swinton, Kirsten Dunst, Rooney Mara and Viola Davis.[/quote]

Agreed, except I thought that Ms Davis belonged in supporting, because the real protagonist of that film was the “Skeeter” character played by Emma Stone. I suppose some might say that the Davis character was co-lead but she sure didn’t seem to have any more screentime than Octavia Spencer.

ReplyCopy URL
    K-Hole
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Thespian”]Michelle Williams? Can she do a French accent? Or will all the Parisian characters speak with an American accent?

Do you mean Rachel Weisz for The Deep Blue Sea? Wasn’t eligilble that year as it hadn’t been released in US, though it’s a pity BAFTA ignored it. I agree that both her and Swinton were deserving of a nomination, even a win – far more than the last two winners.

[/quote]

Yes. I was unaware that The Deep Blue Sea did not qualify (no qualifying run in Los Angeles?) for the Academy Awards. That is a tragic and unforgivable oversight on somebody’s part. Weisz surely would have deserved an Oscar nomination for that tour-de-force performance, as did Tilda Swinton for delivering one of the most harrowing performances in years for We Need to Talk about Kevin…

ReplyCopy URL
    K-Hole
    Participant
    Topics:

Michelle Williams seems miscast among all of the other French talent. I’m surprised they didn’t go for a Marion Cotillard, Berenice Bejo or Melanie Laurent.

All good suggestions, and I think any one of them would have been good casting. I think Ms Cotillard is especially phenomenal, and that Ms Laurent was the ONLY good thing about Inglourious Basterds

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Suite française (2014)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.