Home Forums Movies SUNDANCE 2012

SUNDANCE 2012

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
6 years ago
Last Reply
6 years ago
replies
views
users
  • babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Sundance 2012: New Films From Jonathan Kasdan, Kirby Dick to Debut

Published: November 30, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

By Steve Pond

New films from directors Jonathan Kasdan, Todd Louiso and Kirby Dick will debut at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival, along with works starring John Hawkes, William H. Macy, Olivia Thirlby, Paul Dano and Jena Malone and written by Lena Dunham and Antonio Campos.

The Sundance Institute selected 110 films out of more than 4,000 feature-length submissions. Films screening in the U.S. and World Cinema Dramatic and Documentary competitions were announced on Wednesday; additional programming will be announced in coming days.

The lineup is a typical Sundance smorgasbord of low-budget indies and unknown films hoping to be breakouts on the level with past festival successes like “Winter’s Bone,” “An Education” and last year’s “Like Crazy” and “Martha Marcy May Marlene.”

“We are, and always have been, a festival about the filmmakers,” said Sundance founder Robert Redford in a press release announcing the lineup. “So what are they doing? What are they saying? They are making statements about the changing world we are living in. Some are straight-forward, some novel and some offbeat but always interesting. One can never predict. We know only at the end, and I love that.”

Films in the U.S. Dramatic competition include the hip-hop drama “Filly Brown” (photo), with Lou Diamond Phillips; Kasdan’s “The First Time,” about high schoolers; “For Ellen,” writer-director So Young Kim’s story of a musician fighting for custody of his daughter; “Hello, I Must Be Going,” from director Louiso, with Melanie Lynskey and Blythe Danner; and “Nobody Walks,” a drama directed and co-written by Ry Russo-Young and co-written by Dunham.

Oscar nominee Kirby Dick’s “The Invisible War” is an entry in the U.S. Documentary competition, along with films about Chinese activist Ai Weiwei (“Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry”), the collapse of Detroit (“Detropia”) and the war on drugs (“The House I Live In”).

The international entries include “Violeta Went to Heaven,” Chile’s entry into this year’s foreign-language category at the Oscars.

The 2012 Sundance Film Festival will take place from January 19 to 29 in Park City, Utah.

Films at last year’s festival included Drake Doremus’s “Like Crazy,” Vera Farmiga’s “Higher Ground,” Sean Durkin’s “Martha Marcy May Marlene,” Jeff Nichols’s “Take Shelter,” Dee Rees’ “Pariah” and the documentaries “Being Elmo: A Puppeteer’s Journey,” “Page One” and the Oscar shortlist entries “Buck,” “If a Tree Falls,” “Sing Your Song” and “We Were Here.”

The selections, from the Sundance press release:

U.S. DRAMATIC COMPETITION
    The world premieres of 16 American narrative feature films.

Beasts of the Southern Wild / U.S.A. (Director: Benh Zeitlin, Screenwriters: Benh Zeitlin, Lucy Alibar) — Waters gonna rise up, wild animals gonna rerun from the grave, and everything south of the levee is goin’ under, in this tale of a six year old named Hushpuppy, who lives with her daddy at the edge of the world.

PaulHJR
    Topics:

Yay for Kristen Bell!  She’s in Safety Not Guaranteed, but inexplicably left off the acting credits.  Ditto for Mary Lynn Rajskub. Now I’ve got a film to root for (Dopamine was the last one I rooted for) at Sundance 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Breaking: Sundance announces premiere lineup
    Los Angeles Times | Dec. 5, 2011 1 p.m.

The Sundance Film Festival has announced the narrative and documentary premieres for 2012, with new works starring Richard Gere, Kirsten Dunst, Bruce Willis, Elizabeth Olsen and Bradley Cooper.

For more, go to latimes.com/24Frames.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

REPORT FROM SUNDANCE

Spike Lee’s Sundance Tirade: ‘Hollywood Execs Know Nothing About Black People’

Published: January 23, 2012 @ 12:43 am

By Steve Pond

Spike Lee opted not to introduce his film “Red Hook Summer” before its Sundance premiere on Sunday, but he sure knew how to finish the screening with a bang.

In an expletive-laced Q&A, the veteran filmmaker said that Hollywood executives know nothing about black people and that he wanted the audience to spread the word that the film “is not a mother f—ing sequel to ‘Do the Right Thing.'”

(It is set in the same Brooklyn neighborhood as that film, and includes Lee reprising his role as Moozie, a pizza delivery guy who services the Red Hook projects.)

Also read: The New Normal at Sundance — Strong Films, Cautious but Steady Buying

Lee also looked into the audience and said, “Is Brooklyn in the house? We doubled the black population of Utah, maybe tripled it, up in this room!”

African-American faces in the Eccles Theatre included Cuba Gooding Jr., Chris Rock and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder.

And it was Rock who set Lee off on the night’s biggest fireworks. After Lee talked about how the movie had been shot in 19 days within a 10-block area of Brooklyn, the comedian and actor stood up and asked a question.

“OK, so you did it. You spent your own money, right?” he said. “What would you have done differently if you’d actually gotten a bunch of studio money? What else would have happened? Would you have blown up some shit?”

Lee immediately jumped on the question, insisting that he already told Rock in a private conversation why he had no interest in asking for studio financing.

“We never went to the studios with this film, Chris,” he said. “I told you, we’re gonna do this motherf—ing film ourselves! The plan was to make the film, bring it to Sundance, and … “

He stopped, looked over at Sundance chief John Cooper and quickly corrected himself. “Sorry, John, we were gonna show it to you first,” he said, backtracking from the implication that Sundance would have taken anything Lee gave them.

And then he waded back into the fray. “I didn’t want to hear no motherf—ing notes from the studio telling me … about what a young 13-year-old boy and girl would do in Red Hook. F— no.

“They know nothing about black people. Nothing!

After a few more minutes of ranting that included slaps at Universal Pictures for not green-lighting the sequel to “Inside Man,” he stopped. “Sorry for that motherf—ing tirade,” he said.

In truth, though, the tirade was more focused and powerful than the film. “Red Hook Summer” is confounding, divisive and messy. It’s a lament disguised as a comedy that turns into a brutal drama and ends up as an epic.

Its best moments are laced with a profound sorrow over the state of the country, but it also bogs down in endless monologues and sermons and awkward scenes between two teenage actors.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

‘Beasts of the Southern Wild,’ ‘The House I Live In’ Win Sundance Awards

Published: January 28, 2012 @ 7:52 pm

By Steve Pond

The dramatic feature “Beasts of the Southern Wild” and the documentary “The House I Live In” and the dramatic feature won the top jury prizes at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival.

Kirby Dick’s documentary “The Invisible War” and Ben Lewin’s John Hawkes/Helen Hurt drama “The Surrogate” won the top audience awards.

The winners:

Grand Jury Prize, Documentary: “The House I Live In”
    World Cinema Jury Prize, Dramatic: “Beasts of the Southern Wild”
    World Cinema Jury Prize, Dramatic: “Violeta Went to Heaven”
    World Cinema Jury Prize, Documentary: “The Law in These Parts”

Audience Award, Documentary: “The Invisible War”
    Audience Award, Dramatic: “The Surrogate”
    World Cinema Audience Award, Documentary: “Searching for Sugar Man”
    World Cinema Audience Award, Dramatic: “Valley of Saints”

Best of NEXT Award: “Sleepwalk With Me”
    Directing Award, Documentary: Lauren Greenfield, “The Queen of Versailles”
    Directing Award, Dramatic: Ana DuVernay, “Middle of Nowhere”
    World Cinema Directing Award, Documentary: Emad Burnat and Guy Davidi, “5 Broken Cameras”
    World Cinema Directing Award, Dramatic: Mads Matthiesen, “Teddy Bear”

Waldo Salt Screengwriting Award: Derek Connolly, “Safety Not Guaranteed”
    World Cinema Screenwriting Award: Marialy Rivas, Camila Gutierrez, Pedro Peirano and Sebastian Sepulveda, “Young and Wild”
    Documentary Editing Award: “Detropia”
    World Cinema Documentary Editing Award: “Indie Game: The Movie”
    Excellence in Cinematography Award, Documentary: “Putin’s Kiss”
    Excellence in Cinematography Award, Dramatic: “Beasts of the Southern Wild”
    World Cinema Cinematography Award, Documentary:
    World Cinema Cinematography Award, Dramatic: “My Brother the Devil”
    World Cinema Special Jury Prize, Dramatic: “CAN”
    World Cinema Special Jury Prize, Documentary: “Searching for Sugar Man”
    Special Jury Prize, Documentary: “Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry” and “Love Free or Die”
    Special Jury Prize,  Dramatic: Andrea Sperling and Jonathan Schwartz, “Smashed” and “Nobody Walks”

Shorts Audience Award: “The Debutante Hunters”

From The Wrap

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: SUNDANCE 2012

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.