Home Forums Movies SXSW 2017

SXSW 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
AMG
Macca
Bee
  • AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Updates from the festival with the latest reactions to premiering films as and when I can be arsed.

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Song To Song Reactions

Erik Davis: SONG TO SONG gorgeous, poetic & chaotic. A film about how love floats through our lives like songs. We need it until we don’t want it

Josh L Dickey: Like, I am actually angry. SONG TO SONG is such gibbering nonsense, such flatulent indulgence that I think I got some kind of soul poisoning

Eric Kohn: Sometimes the movies and the parties at a film festival are indistinguishable. SONG TO SONG is an epic embodiment of this phenomenon.

Jacob Knight: SONG TO SONG: bury my heart at ACL. A love letter to lost love and a city losing its soul. Malick’s strongest since TREE OF LIFE.

David Ehrlich: SONG 2 SONG: Malick’s twirling horndog phase climaxes with an exasperating whimper, but story about the inertia of drifting suits his style.

Little White Lies: It’s a majestic and profound film in which human beings waltz with one another and occasionally swap partners.

Hollywood Reporter: suffice to say that Song to Song is not designed to win back onetime admirers who felt Malick’s To the Wonder and Knight of Cups drowned in their own navels.

Variety: It pains me to say it, but Malick might want to consider another lengthy hiatus.

Preston Barta: SONG TO SONG has a cool concept, but it’s ultimately ‘weightless’. Features a scene where Ryan Gosling gives his best minute of acting, ever

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Thank you for this!! Apparently there MIGHT be a GoT trailer dropping sometime because of the showrunner panel.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Song to Song is very mixed as expected. I have seen raves and yawns.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Quite fascinating to watch videos of Malick discussing his craft with Linklater at this festival

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Baby Driver Reactions

Eric Kohn: If you thought LA LA LAND rejuvenated the movie musical, wait until BABY DRIVER, which is like Busby Berkeley’s GRAND THEFT AUTO.

Jen Yamato: BABY DRIVER is everything I never knew I needed. SXSW  audience losing their minds for it and it earns every bit of the love. Elgort is great. Hamm is great. Spacey is great. Foxx is great. James is great. Already loved BABY DRIVER *before* the ATL Twins cameo

Mark Olsen: Edgar Wright’s BABY DRIVER really is like nothing else, a gangster heist romance car musical. Energy at #sxsw  premiere just through the roof

Kristy Puchko: Baby Driver is a wild ride and a hell of a good time. Drive + La La Land – pretension = Baby Driver

Devindra Hardawar: Baby Driver is exactly what you’d imagine an Edgar Wright Fast & Furious to be. A pure blast. And if you’re a fan of Edgar Wright’s long takes and music choices, Baby Driver will basically be your crack. Like a musical chase film

Neil Miller: BABY DRIVER: it’s both the most and best Edgar Wright film. It’s a flat-out brilliant, rip-roaring action musical. Loved it.

Erik Davis: BABY DRIVER is fantastic, an adrenaline fueled music-driven gem that gets faster & greater as it rides. The last quarter is tremendous

Eric Vespe: Baby Driver is fuckin’ awesome. Edgar Wright made his own version of a movie musical except the choreography is car stunts and violence.

Jasonosia: BABY DRIVER: Lots and I mean LOTS to love, yet frustratingly imperfect. Character motivations & intelligence vanish towards a sour end. Wright once again refreshingly deconstructs movie musical numbers, and reconfigures thru these extremely spectacularly crafted getaway chases

Scott Mantz: BABY DRIVER: A really fun, kick-ass, wild ride! Edgar Wright fans will go crazy! Awesome cast, amazing soundtrack, great car chases!  

Harry Knowles: Edgar Wright’s BABY DRIVER is a film that matches the pulse of the best day you’ve ever lived! Incredible

Marlow Stern: Jon Hamm gives far and away his best film performance in Edgar Wright’s ‘Baby Driver,’ which is pretty damn fun

Will Goss: Baby Driver: I’ll let you know how immensely I enjoyed Edgar Wright’s latest once the ringing in my ears stops.

Matt Dentler: BABY DRIVER is essentially a jukebox musical by way of Steve McQueen. BABY DRIVER is also a reminder that Edgar Wright is one of the most refreshing directors working today.

Jason Bailey: BABY DRIVER is all flash, which is a bit of a step backwards in EW’s evolution after THE WORLD’S END. But it is mighty good flash.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Lots of love for The Disaster Artist from last night! One of my most anticipated movies of the year in so happy it has great notices!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: SXSW 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.