Home Forums Movies SXSW 2018

SXSW 2018

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
AMG
Kwame
GusCruz
  • AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Just somewhere to log all the goings on for SXSW!

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

A Quiet Place First Reactions

Alicia Malone: Holy moly what a ride! I now suspect John Krasinski to be a cruel human, because he absolutely tortures the audience… albeit in a wonderful, terrifying & emotional way. I barely breathed throughout the whole film

Meredith Borders:  Holy shit, A QUIET PLACE is for real. John Krasinski made a horror movie that’s wholly original and, btw, really, REALLY scary.

Jamie Broadnax: A Quiet Place had me jerking in my seat throughout the whole movie. A lot of jumpy moments, incredibly executed performances and a well crafted story of a family trying to survive. This movie was bananas!

Scott Weinburg: Hoooly shit. A Quiet Place is a kick-ass horror flick. Masterful use of sound design. Audience went pretty nuts for this one.

Neil Miller: Here’s the thing… Audible horror is my kryptonite. A QUIET PLACE is the MOST audible horror movie I’ve ever seen. Emotionally, I’m spent. Intellectually, I recognize that this movie fucking rules. Krasinski, Blunt, the kids, all top notch.

Scott Mantz: Fantastic horror thriller brilliantly directed by John Krasinski! Really clever & unique! Terrifying, riveting, beyond intense! Great edge-of-your-seat fun! It’s gonna be a HIT! Emily Blunt is amazing! Silence is GOLDEN! 

Jason Bailey: Ruthlessly efficient and brutally effective stuff. Krasinski knows how to move his camera, and how to build bomb-under-the-table suspense. Went in skeptical; an excellent surprise.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Any news on Galveston?

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Any news on Galveston?

It’s premiering this morning. Screening ends at 1:15pm local time according to the website.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gain
    Participant
    Topics:

Surprised by the good review of A Quiet Place. I thought it was gonna flop, like most actors’ directorial attempts do.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Galveston First Reactions

Nick Robinson: I am over the moon for GALVESTON. Loved this movie in ways I have not loved a movie for a little bit. Spectacular storytelling, incredible direction, amazing performances. Best film I’ve seen at a fest in quite some time. Enamored.

Brian Tallerico: Pitch Black, brutal story of lost souls anchored by great Ben Foster and Elle Fanning performances and gorgeous cinematography. Although something’s a bit off in the storytelling, there’s enough to like here.

Ryan Scott: Holy shit. Galveston is gonna blow people away. Powerhouse performances from Ben Foster and Elle Fanning.

Jacob Knight: more stoic macho poet nonsense from Pizzolatto, only without the trashy cryptic oddness of TRUE DETECTIVE. Never really rises above being a pulp curio, while Fanning is woefully underutilized. Like the Repo Man, Foster is always intense.

Mike Shutt: Laurent knows how to capture space and movement very well and gets dynamite work from her actors. The script could’ve used a bit of work, though the issues could be inherent to Nic Pizzolatto’s book.

Marcelo Pico: Director Mélanie Laurent’s crime thriller has some of the best work from both Ben Foster and Elle Fanning. It also perfectly captures the American Gulf Coast, which I’m always happy to see onscreen.

Cody Villafana: Elle Fanning is fantastic and Ben Foster is, once again, transcendent. The narrative is taut, raw, and unpredictable in a very fresh way. Melanie Laurent makes so many great directorial decisions and is an incredible storyteller. Watch out for this one.

Andrew Eaton: GALVESTON is another sordid, booze-soaked redemption tale from Nic Pizzolatto (adapted from his book). Laurent’s direction has enough bite in its action scenes and grace in its small moments to keep it fresh. Recommended for fans of the Jeremy Saulnier/Macon Blair movies.

Adrian Torres: Melanie Laurent brings the goods w/ GALVESTON. Can’t wait to see her next film. There’s some wonky bits in the storytelling that don’t fully connect but there’s too many good bits to fully dismiss it. It also made me wonder why we don’t seem to talk about Ben Foster enough

ReplyCopy URL
    Kwame
    Participant
    Topics:

Always here for Ben Foster raves. Still maintain he should’ve been the supporting actor pick for Hell or High water instead of Bridges

ReplyCopy URL
    Kwame
    Participant
    Topics:

Surprised by the good review of A Quiet Place. I thought it was gonna flop, like most actors’ directorial attempts do.

It’s his third movie as director. He’s clearly gotten better at it

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

A Vigilante First Reactions

Jessica Toomer: Olivia Wilde in A Vigilante is the kind of real, kickass heroine tailor-made for the #MeToo era. Watching her beat up abusive assholes has breathed life into my sweat-drenched self at SXSW

Jason Bailey: A tough sit that may not be worth the trouble, but Wilde is PHENOMENAL 

Adrian Torres: Olivia Wilde goes for broke & gives her best performance in a brutal, searing look at domestic abuse in a film that moves at an unsustainable pace. People will for sure be talking about it. 

Joanna Robinson: Olivia Wilde is positively brilliant in A VIGILANTE which also happens to be an excruciatingly hard sit.

Brian Tallerico: Olivia Wilde is fearless in the best performance of her career in this brutal look at trauma, domestic violence, and vengeance.

Jacob Knight: raw, focused transmutation of trauma into acts of righteous justice. Will make for a decent B-Side to Ramsay’s YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE, but comes nowhere close to that picture’s greatness. Wilde is an exposed, oozing wound. Worth it for her alone.

Robert Saucedo: a leaner, meaner Lifetime Original Movie made by a female filmmaker who loves ’70 and ’80s exploitation films but didn’t feel the need to do constant homages. Olivia Wilde is outstanding. If I had seen ENOUGH, I think this movie would have reminded me of it.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Blockers First Reactions

Joanna Robinson: I’ve seen TRAINWRECK, SPY and many many many more comedies debut in this theater and Blockers blows them allllllll away.

David Fear: BLOCKERS is literally every raunchcom of the last 10 years in a blender. And it will make a billion dollars. And win John Cena an Oscar. And be called the female Superbad. (Kidding. It will make 2 billion dollars.)

Jamie Broadnax: Blockers was pretty funny. Love the toilet humor and pretty wild. The laughter in the theater was loud and audience seemed to love it!

Nicole Sterling: I’m totally here for Blockers, Leslie Mann’s bonkers physical comedy and the message for teenage girls to encourage them to have agency over their sexuality. 

Erik Davis: Blockers just destroyed at SXSW  – wild raunchy teen sex comedy with lots of big laughs, adorable moments, and John Cena bare ass. The trailers do not do this one justice – really fun time.

Isaac Feldberg: Kay Cannon knocked this thing out of the park. a winning, progressive take on a concept that only gains in heart and hilarity as it goes. bruising laughs delivered with a deft touch

Eric Vespe: Blockers has some great moments and a nice foundation of being a non-toxic teen sex comedy. A bit inconsistent, but its heart is in the right place. John Cena once again shows he’s a funny motherfucker.

Trace Thurman: Blockers is a HILARIOUS raunchy sex comedy that has non-stop laughs and handles teen sexuality SO WELL. Bravo Kay Cannon! John Cena is my new celebrity crush. Leslie Mann is perfect as always. Holy balls see it with a crowd.

Eric Kohn: I could’ve used more subtitles for the BLOCKERS screening at SXSW, but that’s just proof this gleefully raunchy comedy hits its marks. Leslie Mann sneaking around a hotel room is slapstick gold.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Prospect First Reactions

Heather Wilson: So Prospect is an intriguing and scrappy sci-fi western that so ambitiously shoots for the stars, I couldn’t help but fall in love. Sophie Thatcher is incredible. As are Jay Duplass and Pedro Pascal. 

Ed Travis: Gorgeous, Small-stakes, grimy frontier sci-fi populated by a magnificent cast. It’s low key, but filled with ideas & clever execution. Dug it.

Aaron B Kootz: Unlikely duo fight to survive in a SciFi masterclass of escalating conflict amidst breathtaking visuals & production design

Chris Hartwell:  Chris Weitz, a huge congrats on Prospect! Sincerely, one of the best films I’ve had the privilege of seeing at SXSW !

Christopher Webster: PROSPECT is my new obsession. Lean, handmade sci-fi that’s like the art of Dan McPharlin come to life. I haven’t been this impressed with a newcomer since MOON. Sophie Thatcher shines brightly.

Tim Canton: PROSPECT is everything I love about the creative process when filmmakers come together to create some unique and entertaining. The costume design and general aesthetic were fantastic!

Kristin Sheppard: Sci-fi is not really my thang but I saw Prospect and really enjoyed it. The key to SXSW is remaining flexible and open-minded. That’s when you stumble on rewarding surprises.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Fast Color First Reactions

Jamie Broadnax: Fast Color is a beautiful blessing of a film centered around three generations of Black women. Stunning performances, gorgeous visuals, a riveting story and literal Black Girl Magic!!

Joanna Robinson: Everyone clamoring for a Storm X-Men solo movie. I just saw it at SXSW with Gugu Mbatha-Raw. FINALLY a 2018 movie that knows how use her. I gotta say, if CHRONICLE can launch Landis and Trank into massive budget projects, then Julia Hart MORE than deserves the same treatment for Fast Color

Kristy Puchko: Those craving a solo Storm movie, seek out Julia Hart’s Fast Color. Gugu Mbatha-Raw is a literal and metaphorical force of nature as a human earthquake.

Tasha Robinson: FAST COLOR is to Storm what LOGAN was to Wolverine. What a tender, melancholy, emotional movie. Gugu Mbatha-Raw is so well used, but the whole cast is perfect.

Jen Yamato: FAST COLOR…What a special film. It will move and inspire and mean so much to so many. Such beauty and power to behold on a big screen. Julia Hart, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Lorraine Toussaint, Saniyya Sidney and Justin Horowitz, you have my tears and my sword

Kimberly Bryant: First SXSW film screening for me this year was Fast Color and it was absolutely beautiful! It’s a must see futuristic journey centering the power of women/Black women and mothers. Cried generously through this one.

Erik Davis: Imagine the indie version of a Storm origin story and this is it. Beautiful film about mothers & daughters understanding each other while figuring out how to use their mysterious powers to save a dying world & heal their own relationships

Jason Bailey: FAST COLOR is GLORIOUS. Holy cow, this movie melted me. Tip-top performances, sure-handed direction, and a perfect ending.

Matthew Monagle: A movie as much about the things we hand down – from mother to daughter, generation to generation – as it is about its characters’ gifts. The cast radiates empathy. I really liked it!

Brian Tallerico: Emotionally resonant story that’s as much about doubt and fear as it is power. We all have all of it in within us. Some truly striking imagery and great performances but it’s the emotional core that makes it connect. A true, powerful original.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Very good first reactions for Ready Player One

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Not surprised by the positive reactions for A Quiet Place and Ready Player One, as they’ve had phenomenal trailers so far. I’m quite surprised for the positive reaction for Blockers. That movie’s trailer has been garbage, especially with the whole butt-chugging part. Then again, raunchy comedies are my least favorite type of film, so I’m always very hesitant. Usually, I can sense when they’re going to be awful, such as Dirty Grandpa and Fist Fight, but occasionally I’ve been surprised, such as with Neighbors and Trainwreck. Hopefully Blockers falls into the latter category.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: SXSW 2018

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.