Home Forums Movies Tangerine Thread 2015

Tangerine Thread 2015

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

So it was just announced that the micro-indie Tangerine that stars two transgendered actresses, Mya Taylor and Kitana Kiki Rodriguez, and is executive produced by the Duplass Brothers, will be given a historic Oscar campaign, especially for the two actresses. While it is quite a longshot given the small scope of the film, if they give it a strong push, then it could put up a good fight. The Duplasses have become quite influential producers and with the whole controversy surrounding cis actors like Eddie Redmayne and Jared Leto playing transgendered, then recognizing actual trans actresses would easily help them avoid that.

What do you guys think? 

Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

I really enjoyed the film, so I’m happy that it’s being given some more promotion. Both actresses were pretty fantastic at balancing the humor and angst in their characters’ situations.

At the very least, I’d love to see it recognized with some Independent Spirit nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I have Mya Taylor in my supporting lineup right now, she would be a great choice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfunyay
    Participant
    Topics:

I just watched this – AMAZING! Really hope something can come through for Mya Taylor. Happy Caitlyn Jenner is campaigning for this to help the buzz. 

This is on netflix, watch it! Hilarious and dramatic and visuall interesting film. Loved the funny and raw moments of life on the street, along with the beautiful coloring through the bright sun of Hollywood.  

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I liked this movie and am glad it did well at the Spirits. I hope people check it out on Netflix and I hope Mya gets more work. I thought Kitiana was a bit over the top but she showed moments of hope for the future if she continues to act. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

It was a noble experiment with the iPhone 5s hook, but most of the film kind of plodded along until the conclusion. Kitana Kiki Rodriguez is so amateur hour that it lessened my enjoyment of the film severly. Maybe a stronger director could have done a bit more with her here. Thankfully Mya Taylor is a natural and helped hold the rest of the plot together. It was cool to see James Ransone in this as the elusive Chester. Trans actors being able to participate in their own cinematic stories like this instead of the usual norm of straight white male actors being “brave” and winning awards is a great thing. I applaud the trans tipping point, but acting is still a craft that not just anyone off the street is effective at accomplishing. Nevertheless, it’s short and readily available on Netflix. It’s something to see despite its glaring flaws.

ReplyCopy URL
    KubrickFan98
    Participant
    Topics:

It was a noble experiment with the iPhone 5s hook, but most of the film kind of plodded along until the conclusion. Kitana Kiki Rodriguez is so amateur hour that it lessened my enjoyment of the film severly. Maybe a stronger director could have done a bit more with her here. Thankfully Mya Taylor is a natural and helped hold the rest of the plot together. It was cool to see James Ransone in this as the elusive Chester. Trans actors being able to participate in their own cinematic stories like this instead of the usual norm of straight white male actors being “brave” and winning awards is a great thing. I applaud the trans tipping point, but acting is still a craft that not just anyone off the street is effective at accomplishing. Nevertheless, it’s short and readily available on Netflix. It’s something to see despite its glaring flaws.

My thoughts exactly. While I give the film an 8/10, it was still a bit dragging and, at times, obnoxious. Rodriguez especially gave off really whiny vibes, while Taylor’s performance was an actual performance. The idea of using iPhones to film everything was a very indie concept, a failed one at that, as the film is hard to look at when it doesn’t stand still. When it does, it manages to deliver some amazing shots, especially the ending, which is one of my favorite film moments of 2015. I don’t think it’ll get any Oscar nods, but I wouldn’t be mad if it did.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.