The Crazy Year 2000

Home // Forums // Movies // The Crazy Year 2000

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Beau S.
    Topics:

The year 2000 was a crazy year for the Oscars.

Best Actor was a toss-up between all of the men (except maybe Geoffrey Rush)
    Best Supporting Actor contained the category-confused Benicio del Toro
    Best Supporting Actress featured the (in)famous Marcia Gay Harden upset.
    Only Best Actress was a sure bet with Julia Roberts sweeping the circuit for Erin Brockovich.

Precursors were all over the place that year and there was no clear indicator as to which film the Academy supported the most (TRAFFIC won everything it was nominated for…except Best Picture).

What did you think of this year? Who should’ve won the races? Who was outright snubbed?

Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved 2000, I was at the edge of my seat throughout a lot of races. Ditto for 2002, where even Supporting Actress seemed like it could sway away from Zeta-Jones and into Julianne Moore or Meryl Streep’s lap. Best Actress was a toss up between Zellweger, Moore and Kidman with Zellweger getting last minute heat with the SAG win; Best Actor was glorious as I knew Brody would take it in the end, even though Day-Lewis and Nicholson were very competitive; Director was up in the air; and to an extent, Best Picture seemed like The Pianist almost made it. 

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Dancer in the Dark got SNUBBED in everything except best song.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Julia Roberts did NOT deserve that Oscar. That’s was Ellen Burstyn’s. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

With the exception of Croutching Tiger, Traffic, and Erin Brockovich, 2000 to me was a very blah year in films and nominations. Gladiator as the BP winner couldn’t be worse, and I am baffled to how such a mediocre film like Chocolat got as many nominations as it did. With that said though, I do love who they picked for the acting categories. Julia Roberts will always be one of my favorite Best Actress winners. Her performance may not have been showy or anything like the others, but she really made the film what it was and was very well established. Marcia Gay Harden’s upset is one of my favorites as well. That was a time where they truly gave it to the best performance, regardless of the politics. I liked del Toro’s win, and I really didn’t mind Crowe’s win either. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

2000 was definitely a missed opportunity to honor some strong films in Best Picture and they snubbed several films and nominated drek like Chocolat and Gladiator and the decent Erin Brokovich.

The Best Actor race was indeed a mess. It shouldn’t be shocking that Russell Crowe won but it should’ve gone to Tom Hanks or Ed Harris….or even Javier Bardem. Michael Douglas and Jamie Bell and Patrick Fugit were all deserving of nominations (Fugit is debatable).

Actress should’ve been Burstyn.

Supporting Actor was spot on, though I am not passionate about it.

Supporting Actress ended up perfect and Marcia Gay Harden still remains among the top wins in any acting category ever.    

ReplyCopy URL
    MiMicMick
    Participant
    Topics:

For best actor, I pick Ed Harris.

For best actress, which I think is one of the worst Oscar robberies of all time, the Oscar trophy should have gone to great Ellen Burstyn, who gave a emotionally shattering and memorable performance in “Requiem for a Dream’, one of my all-time favorites.

For best supporting actor, I know Benicio Del Toro is good and all, but personally I think that he was better in 21 Grams. Therefore, I give this Oscar to unlucky Joaquin Phoenix.

For best supporting actress, marcia gay harden is great in “Pollock”, but I think I will give the Oscar to Julie Walters.

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

This definitely was an interesting year.  I don’t mind Gladiator’s win, as I think it’s an entertaining movie (much more entertaining than I thought it would be when I went to see it).  My pick for the best picture of the year, though, would have gone to Billy Elliot or Dancer in the Dark.

And I thought Ellen Burstyn was robbed as well… until I saw Dancer in the Dark.  Bjork… now THERE’s an actress who was truly robbed. 

ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

This year could be similar.

LINCOLN  could win actor, director and even adapted screenplay
    and ARGO  can be best picture in the end…

burstyn far superior over roberts
    ed harris much better than russell crowe
    the thought of hanks having 3 so quickly was fun..

the best part of 2000
    was marcia gay harden’s surprise win for her brilliant performance
    and not kate hudson, that terrible wannabe…ewww.. cant stand her.

chocolat’s nominations were ridiculous especially binoche who
    actually did nothing but speak with a french accent which she does
    very well…

jamie bell shouldve been in supporting and he might have won’
    for BILLY ELLIOTT, my favorite film of that year…followed by
    REQUIEM FOR A DREAM…. both superior to everything else..

ReplyCopy URL
    unsunganthem
    Participant
    Topics:

How 2000 should have gone IMO:

BEST PICTURE: TRAFFIC
    BEST ACTOR: Michael Douglas, WONDER BOYS
    BEST ACTRESS: Joan Allen, THE CONTENDER
    SUPPORTING ACTOR: Benicio del Toro, TRAFFIC 
    SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Julie Walters, BILLY ELLIOTT
    DIRECTOR: Steven Soderbergh, TRAFFIC (I say this knowing that Ang Lee wins for BROKEBACK)

I agree with the people who say DANCER IN THE DARK was snubbed; deserved an Actress nod at least. Jamie Bell should’ve been nominated for BILLY ELLIOTT. Charles Durning should have gotten some consideration for OH BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? AMERICAN PSYCHO deserved a nod for Adapted Screenplay. BEST IN SHOW deserved a nod in Original Screenplay. I would have given zero nominations to that awful CHOCOLAT mess. 

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

My favorite film of 2000 was at the time and remains “Almost Famous” so in some ways I was out of the main Oscar races. I was not a fan of “Gladiator” and thought the film got very and dull and clumsy whenever it left the colosseum. Russell Crowe transformed  from respected actor to movie star in that role but still not deserving of a best actor Oscar. I was mainly watching the Oscars to hope against hope that “Gladiator” and Russell Crowe would somehow lose and worried the film might pick up a truly undeserving best director prize. At the time I was rooting for “Traffic” amongst the best picture nominees and was excited as it seemed it just may pick up top prize after sweeping its other nominated categories. “Traffic” has not held up that well for me so at this point my top film amongst the nominees for best picture and director would be “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” though I am still satisfied by Benicio Del Toro’s win… and do not think there is any shadiness about it as the screentime is split amongst so many characters. Always thought Ellen Burstyn was too over the top, and yes the film itself is over the top but still, so I have always been fine with Julia Roberts’ movie star performance win. If not her I would have been rooting for Laura Linney rather than Ellen Burstyn. People seem to remember Ellen Burstyn winning awards for her work in “Dream” but she actually won nothing major except for the Spirit Award. The major critics’ awards were split between Roberts and Linney.

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

I still can’t forget this brutal, simple snub:

But we had the best supporting actress of the decade, so…

ReplyCopy URL
    Graeme O’Neil
    Topics:

Julia Roberts did NOT deserve that Oscar. That’s was Ellen Burstyn’s. 

That was an incredible year for Best Actress. Ellen Burstyn was fantastic, and so was Laura Linney. Linney was phenomenal in You Can Count On Me…but it’s hard to deny Roberts. She was a movie star worthy of an Oscar win, and that wasn’t just an Oscar-bait role. She absolutely nailed that role and it felt like an Oscar-winning performance. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Graeme O’Neil
    Topics:

By the way, I just happened to be thinking the other day…I wonder what would have happened if Catherine Zeta-Jones got in for Traffic. I still don’t get how she was snubbed. I would have given her the Oscar, let alone a nomination.  Clearly the Academy loved Traffic when it came to voting for the winner, so maybe she should have won Best Supporting Actress?
    I wonder if that would have affected her winning for Chicago 2 years later. She absolutely totally deserved to win for Chicago (as good as Julianne Moore and Meryl Streep were). Her Velma Kelly was a blazing performance that also felt like an Oscar-winning performance as you watched it. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

Any combination of Hudson, McDormand, Dench, or Walters should’ve been knocked out in supporting actress in favor for other deserving candidates such as; Jennifer Connelly (Requiem For a Dream), Zeta-Jones (Traffic), and Zhang Ziyi (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: The Crazy Year 2000

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.