Home Forums Movies The First Quarter of 2014 is Over. Any Oscar Contenders?

The First Quarter of 2014 is Over. Any Oscar Contenders?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
Morgan Henard
Scottferguson
Jack Cox
  • Morgan Henard
    Topics:

Talk about a slooooooow first quarter. Here’s what we’ve got, numbers-wise:

Top Highest Grossing 2014-Released Films as of 04/01/14 (all still in active release):
    1. The Lego Movie – $248.2m
    2. Ride Along – $133.7m
    3. 300: Rise of an Empire – $101.1m 
    4. Mr. Peabody & Sherman – $94.5m
    5. Divergent – $94.4m
    6. Non-Stop – $85.1m
    7. The Monuments Men – $76.6m
    8. The Nut Job – $63.1m
    9. Son of God – $57.9m
    10. RoboCop – $57.3m

Source: Box Office Mojo

I have seen, literally, two good films this year: The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Lunchbox. If there is any justice, the former will be nominated in Original Screenplay and the latter will be nominated in Foreign Language Film. [Having not seen The Lego Movie yet] These are the only two 2014 releases that are actual great movies. I’ve seen Divergent (good, not great), Non-Stop (Julianne, STOPPIT!), and The Monuments Men (what a joke). I’m looking forward to Noah which also released in the first quarter.

I would say there is only one likely and realistic candidate to survive all the way to Oscar season:

Best Animated Film: The Lego Movie

And now, onto the second quarter. Hopefully April, May and June brings us a better crop than this first quarter.    

Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Haven’t even had motivation to see anything this year, Oscar season always does that to me. I see all of the films  that are Oscar contenders and then when it ends, there just seems to be nothing good out.  

I do want to see The Grand Budapest Hotel though.   Hopefully, I’ll shake off my laziness enough to see it, lol. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Morgan Henard
    Topics:

Haven’t even had motivation to see anything this year, Oscar season always does that to me. I see all of the films  that are Oscar contenders and then when it ends, there just seems to be nothing good out.  

I do want to see The Grand Budapest Hotel though.   Hopefully, I’ll shake off my laziness enough to see it, lol. 

Trust me. It and The Lunchbox are the only two films worth your time and money. You will walk out of each film thinking it’s Oscar season; they’re both that excellent.  

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

PICTURE, DIRECTOR, ORIG. SCREENPLAY, ACTOR, COSTUMES, ART DIRECTION, ORIG. SCORE
    are all possibilities…

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I can only think of three:

1)The Grand Budapest Hotel (so many nominations are possible)
    2) Bad Words (script was awesome)
    3)The Monuments Men (the set design was out of this world awesome)    

ReplyCopy URL
    Cheshire
    Participant
    Topics:

“We’re Doing a Sequel” from Muppets Most Wanted for Best Original Song

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

The Lego movie is definitely going to be a contender for animated film. Grand Budapest won’t have momentum, but I could still see it getting a few nominations. Production design should be obvious, screenplay would be perfectly warranted and I would be amazed if there are 5 performances that are better than Fiennes’. Other than that, I don’t think there are major contenders. But looking at past years that’s not surprising. Major contenders come out in the summer at the earliest.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Grand Budapest could go either way for BP/BD, but I’d be shocked if it isn’t better than at most 2 or 3 of the eventual nominees.

On the other hand, it will make a greater profit from going early in the year even if it is snubbed (because it is thriving with less competition and the marketing costs are lower). 

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

The Lego Movie for Animated Feature is really the only sure contender. The Grand Budapest Hotel should be up for major awards but likely won’t, we can probably still hope for Original Screenply, though. Other than those two, the only other great film so far is Noah. And that will get no traction.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

The Grand Budapest Hotel deserves nods across the board (just saw it- will post my reax later). My guess is it ends up with no more than 4 nominations, and that’s probably pushing it.

The Lego Movie. If it were up to me the animated feature race would be over already.

Muppets Most Wanted- this film could already have 2 of the original song slots (We’re Doing a Sequel and The Interrogation Song), and possibly more depending on how the field plays out

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

And maybe Noah for some categories, though I haven’t seen it yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

‘The Lego Movie’ is the best film of the early year so far, but I also really liked ‘Nymphomaniac’ and ‘Noah’. I would consider all three for several nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Gloria, Stranger by the Lake, Omar, Grand Budapest Hotel, Nymphomaniac (maybe, just saw Vol 2 yesterday, haven’t made up my mind yet) are early contenders for my 2014 ten best list

ReplyCopy URL
    Morgan Henard
    Topics:

Gloria, Stranger by the Lake, Omar, Grand Budapest Hotel, Nymphomaniac (maybe, just saw Vol 2 yesterday, haven’t made up my mind yet) are early contenders for my 2014 ten best list

I thought Gloria had a limited release in 2013, which would make it now ineligible? Am I mistaken, and it’s actually a 2014 release? The trailer has made me really anticipate it, for sure. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Gloria is a bifurcated film – it apparently had an obscure 1 week run in LA Co, but unlike most of these, received no reviews. My guess is will show up prominently in US critics 2014 lists. 

Roadside also took no advertising for it. I had to pressure their publicist to confirm that it had actually qualified.

The only thing it seems not be qualify for 2014 will be the Oscars. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: The First Quarter of 2014 is Over. Any Oscar Contenders?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.