Home Forums Movies THE MASTER Thread (10.12.12)

THE MASTER Thread (10.12.12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 173 total)
Created
6 years ago
Last Reply
6 years ago
replies
views
users
Scottferguson
babypook
Logan
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

The Master
    Written & Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson
    Cast: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, Laura Dern, Jesse Plemons, and Rami Malek
    Produced by: Paul Thomas Anderson, Megan Ellison, Daniel Lupi, and JoAnne Sellar
    Cinematography by: Mihai Malaimare Jr
    Music by: Jonny Greenwood

A charismatic intellectual (Hoffman) launches a faith-based organization following World War II. A drifter (Phoenix) becomes his right-hand man but as the faith begins to gain a fervent following, the drifter finds himself questioning the belief system and his mentor. 

First teaser has been posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oZDKFoCqAw&feature=player_embedded&hd=1

Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

Can’t tell too much from the trailer, but Phoenix looks like he could be a big contender (somewhat reminiscent of his performance in Two Lovers).

ReplyCopy URL
    Trent
    Topics:

Anxiously awaiting this one. Current prediction for Best Picture. Can’t tell much from the trailer, though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

Joaquin Phoenix looks great from that teaser, very intense, and I’m just happy to see him working again. I love Paul Thomas Anderson’s work, so I’m definitely looking forward to ‘The Master’.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

At least he’s back from his 3-year bender of whatever the eff he was doing.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

He was working on the movie as well as waiting to find financing.

When you make a movie not based on comic books and appeal to adults, it’s tougher to get financing.

I suppose any director who has made movies even better than anything Christopher Nolan has ever done PaulH feels the need to slander him.   

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

Wow Joaquin Phoenix looks FAN. TASTIC. in this.  Hoffman is the first name listed, but I’m assuming he and Phoenix are co-leads?  So he would be a contender for lead?

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

^They sure make it seem that way, don’t they? I always thought Hoffman was lead too and Phoenix supporting. Maybe it’s the other way around or co-leads as you’ve suggested.

ReplyCopy URL
    rockstitution
    Topics:

Phoenix looks fan FUCKING tastic. Anderson looks like he tapped into the same madness he got from DDL.

Hoffman seems to have the showier role (he is the title character) but this is Phoenix’s story. I could see either of them getting pushed for Lead maybe even both. 

I could see the scenario where Hoffman is pushed Lead as he has the flashier and titular role, Phoenix pushed supporting a la Hathaway in Prada, McAvoy in Last King of Scotland. But Phoenix looks like he’s no slouch in the flash department either.

I think they end up pushing Phoenix, a former two-time nominee in Lead, while pushing Hoffman who already has an Oscar plus is aperennial supporting nominee in Supporting where he’ll have an easier time winning number 2.

However, if Harvey turns this into the BP/BD frontrunner then I could see both being pushed Lead. 

ReplyCopy URL
    rockstitution
    Topics:

The teaser is pretty reminiscent of the There Will Be Blood teaser
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHYrpXKda94 

Also, Jonny Greenwood’s score is just  Hopefully, he doesn’t get disqualified this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    rockstitution
    Topics:

Early word from Cannes:

From 
    http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl…playbook-40911

“The Master” seems destined for controversy. Paul Thomas Anderson has written a tale that is loosely inspired on the life of L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology. The short piece shown was enough to suggest that Anderson (“Magnolia,” “There Will Be Blood”) has again taken on an epic subject and will face it down fearlessly. 

Philip Seymour Hoffman, in moustache and suspenders, plays The Master, the Hubbard-like leader of what is referred to as The Cause. Amy Adams, in fierce dramatic scenes, plays his headstrong wife.

Also read: Paul Thomas Anderson’s ‘The Master’ Trailer Debuts with Creepy Joaquin Phoenix and Crazy Music

Joaquin Phoenix (right) is the center of the story as a postwar drifter, searching for a path and racked by anguish or mental illness or both.

In one scene, The Master demands: “Is your life a struggle? Is your behavior erratic?”

It looks ambitious and exciting, though no frogs appear to fall. Remains to be seen what the never-shy Church of Scientology will have to say about this portrayal, however fictionalized.

From Sasha Stone at AwardsDaily:

The first reel they showed was from Paul Thomas Anderson’s The Master. We saw a lot more than could be shown in the trailer, naturally, as there were tits, masturbation and more violence. I couldn’t really get a read on what it’s about exactly except that people kept talking about Joaquin Phoenix like he was a madman. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams both great in what they have to do but it’s Phoenix’s show. If you’re looking for your possible acting nods, you have three potential ones right there.

I like it that it flies in the face of recent Academy tradition of safe, sappy fare. It throws down gasoline and lights it on fire. The music — Johnny Cash, Phoenix – completely out of his mind jerking off on the beach with people nearby. And there will be blood, sex, sweat and tears. Anderson is a ferocious, creative mind at work — this is a deepening for him, not a detour.

A few more reactions from Cannes:

TwitchFilm: THE MASTER looks late 40s-50s period through & through. Amy Adams delivers some powerful stuff.Teaser lacks same emotion as 4 mins. #Cannes 

@FirstShowing: The Master footage looks phenomenal, of course. Joaquin looks crazy, like totally insane. And PS Hoffman looks amazing as ‘Master’. #Cannes 

@LoganHill33: The Master footage was major too–More Joaquin than expected. Great to see him again. Looking great. #cannes 

@JamesRocchi: Also, the Johnny Greenwood score over THE MASTER footage we saw is the percussion-laden sound of paranoia rattling in your head. 

@Jake_Howell: THE MASTER looks actually very good – a 2012 film with a 90s film aesthetic (watch AMERICAN BEAUTY and you will understand) #Cannes

ReplyCopy URL
    uncreativename
    Topics:

This is one of the films I am most excited for this summer and the trailer didn’t let me down. While it didn’t show very much it does show how intense/dark the movie is going to be.

I’m also hoping that Laura Dern is given a decent amount to do.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t think Joaquin Phoenix could do that. Wow. Both unnerving and hypnotic. I can’t stop watching it, and that snippet of Jonny Greenwood’s score is so good. Can’t wait to see more footage of this. PTA is back!

ReplyCopy URL
    Spenser Davis
    Participant
    Topics:

I had no idea what this was about when I watched the teaser, and after the teaser, I still wasn’t quite sure. The IMDb logline also leaves much to the imagination.

But there is something so hypnotic about Phoenix in that trailer. I have no idea what. He doesn’t quite look like himself, almost Brando-esque.

It is now one of my most anticipated films of the year, and I have no clue why.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

The teaser is pretty reminiscent of the There Will Be Blood teaserhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHYrpXKda94 

Also, Jonny Greenwood’s score is just  Hopefully, he doesn’t get disqualified this year.

O well. I’ll be watching this one ASAP regardless. Lol.
    Poetic justice for Jonny!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 173 total)
Reply To: THE MASTER Thread (10.12.12)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.