Home Forums Movies The Milagro Beanfield War Best Score 1988? WTF

The Milagro Beanfield War Best Score 1988? WTF

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Was the score any good? How did an obscure movie like that beat the heavy hitters in the category.

I was just listening to Dangerous Liasons a bit while posting in another thread. That music is pretty incredible.  

Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiL-DPmx9z4
    I’ve never seen the film and I don’t know how the music goes with the film.
    I usually hate it when Oscar voters don’t pay much attention to how the music contributes to the film as a whole. The music branch nominates the same score again and again and then voters usually go for the one with the most buzz or the one that’s easiest to remember. To me The Social Network is a perfect example of what a music winner should be — compositions that really somehow contribute to the mood of the film and contribute to its power. Most of the winners are mere illustrations.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Whoa! Imo Milagro is a smart, whimsical, politically conscience film and one which reflects Redford’s very liberal sensibilities. The score is full of that “whimsy” and fits the film.

Grusin was in tough that year with luminaries such as Zimmer, Jarre, Fenton and Williams.

Great score and I’m glad it won, especially in retrospect. Grusin deserves the Oscar, certainly after his ‘miss’ for On Golden Pond, and The Fabulous Baker Boys, et al.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t seen the film, but there’s no way that it was an obscure film at the time. I just listened to the score, and it is unusual, but Grusin was nominated 4 times prior to this win, and three times after. Robert Redford directed it, so the film had his prestige behind it, and had a decent showing at the box office.

It doesn’t seem like it was the kind of film with general appeal for the academy, but it was likely nominated for the reasons above, and won because it sounds really different from the rest. I actually want to watch this movie based on this score and babypook’s review of it. Once I do, I’ll post my comments here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Rain Man’s score was better.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Haven’t seen MBW but Fenton’s score for Dangerous Liaisons was very fine, balancing baroque-style perfectly with a darker, lush romanticism. Some of those harmonies made the hairs stand on the back of my neck. 

Also why was Alan Silvestri’s score for Who Framed Roger Rabbit not nominated? Was it ineligible or something? It’s miles better than the one he was later nominated for, Forrest Gump.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t think that this was a real movie, but sure enough, it is lol. HBO is randomly playing it in a few hours. It’s a comedy/drama (hmmm) starring Sonia Braga.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jose Manuel Garcia
    Participant
    Topics:

My favorite score of the year was not even nominated, “Willow”.
    The others who were nominated, welll, i definately vote for Grusin.
    The film was a very important one. dealing with an important issue.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

My favorite score of the year was not even nominated, “Willow”.
    The others who were nominated, welll, i definately vote for Grusin.
    The film was a very important one. dealing with an important issue.

I adore Willow. One of my favorites. And the score is truly great. James Horner is so very good at what he does.

I’d love to see Val Kilmer’s career resurrected. Nice call Jose.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.