Home Forums Movies The Official IN SECRET Thread (2/21/14; Film receives mixed reviews; Lange receives raves.)

The Official IN SECRET Thread (2/21/14; Film receives mixed reviews; Lange receives raves.)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Phoenix LOVE.
    Topics:
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Just be happy, and let the professionals do their work. They have Lange’s best interests at heart and know what they are doing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

When LD was going to release the film themselves (they handled Killer Joe and other films, to little success), they had announced this as the date months ago. It would appear some places haven’t updated their records. I just checked their website (HRep) and in a list of partial release dates (for which Therese would qualify as important enough) they don’t show it under 9/27 (which they do for Don Jon for example).The NYTimes today lists every film opening between now and end of Nov in NY and it isn’t mentioned. One of the producers and my source at Roadside both told me after the acquisition that it was a likely 2014 release. The Roadside website lists 3 2013 films under “coming soon”, but not Therese. There is no trailer or theatrical poster that I am aware of, unlike virtually every other awards contender coming out in the next two months,

It is remotely possible based on Toronto response that they could turn on a dime. But I see no official word that this is still opening 9/27.

One of the reasons it makes sense to delay is that Oscar Isaac (Inside Llewyn Davis) costars, and he is an unknown now but could be a bigger draw next year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

The problem is that the top exclusive theaters in NY & LA – essential to play at, unless Roadside were to go for a one week qualifying run in early Dec (as they did on Albert Nobbs two years ago) are over booked, and are more likely to make room for Focus or SPC or Weinstein or Searchlight if they pick up new films, which could happen. And seriously, unless Elizabeth Olsen has a shot as a best actress nomination – sorry, but Jessica Lange being nominated for supporting actress as the sole nomination will add virtually nothing to the film’s commercial appeal – it makes no sense to go. And how in the world is Olsen going to get into the best actress race this year? There are already a dozen candidates who won’t get in that might have some other year.

Hope all you want – I assume it’s because you want to see the film sooner rather than later – but don’t be surprised if its 6-7 months before it sees the light of day.

Roadside has never picked up a film as late as August and still released it the same year. Last year they acquired Mud, Stories We Tell and Emperor around this time, and they were all 2013 releases. Mud in particularly could have been an awards contender last year – instead it won’t be, but it went on to gross $21 million. They made the right choice, and that experience will be part of their decision on what to do with Therese.

The best way for this to go – and it might happen – is for this to show up and Sundance next January like Mud did after earlier showings at Cannes and New York, and then for it to be released March-April.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Did you miss where he wrote it is being released in 2014?

Crash, The Hurt Locker, Away With Her and Beginners all showed at Toronto in the year before they were released, two years before they won. Why should awards writers not refer to films they see that could be in the mix for the following year? I don’t get that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

As I said, the goal for Roadside is for this movie to be a financial success. Pushing every film for maximum Oscar wins is quite often not the way to do this. They had Mud this year – a real success – which if they had released it at the end of last year maybe could have gotten a supporting nom for McConaughey and screenplay. And almost certainly the film would have grossed less (it did well playing with far less competition) and their marketing expense would have been far higher – possibly keeping them from showing a profit. Same thing for Place Beyond the Pines and Focus. Oscars should be for distribs a means to an end – making a film profitable – not the end in itself, particularly when it could lead to financial loss.

I know you’d love Lange to win another Oscar. And yes, going in the first half of next year reduces that chances. But the correct response from Roadside and the producers is, so what? It’s not important. And they are right.

If Roadsidetweets wasn’t an officlal twitter account, I’d assume they’d make sure people knew that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

I truly regret passing along the idea that there was a snowball’s chance of hell that this could be released this year. My bad.

Feinberg’s article explains why it would make no sense to be released this year- it would only get a costume nomination. He is HRep’s awards writer. There is absolutely no reason for him not to judge a film’s awards chances for this year, or next, in his writing. It’s his job.

I’m done with this. I’ve tried to answer your questions, but you seem to be unreachable and impossible to satisfy,

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Anything that doesn’t suggest that Therese should be released this year to allow Lange win an Oscar makes no sense to you. I am not being mean-spirit remotely – I have just lost patience after repeatedly explaining the logic behind waiting, and why it would be distribution malpractice to release this year based on all the facts on the table, most of which I’ve painstakingly explained to you, but you refuse to accept or digest.

I’ve explained the logic to Feinberg’s writing, which you again distort to have a meaning it doesn’t have. He stated as a fact that this is a 2014 release. Period. Done. End of story,

I wish on a selfish level that this did come out this year, so this discussion would end early in 2014 rather than 2015. And as much as I admire Lange, part of me wishes now that she never makes another movie. And it’s because of your posts. Not trying to be mean-spirited, but you potentially make people turn against Lange because of your incessant posting about her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

At best mixed Variety review

September 9, 2013 | 10:25AM PT
    This serviceable but uninspired Zola adaptation is unlikely to win more than middling arthouse B.O.

Related Stories

Serviceable but uninspired, this latest version of Emile Zola’s much-adapted 1867 novel “Therese Raquin” sends its characters to their doom on schedule without stirring much sense of tragedy or emotional involvement. Admittedly, the author called his own scheming-lover characters “brutes,” but writer-director Charlie Stratton hasn’t made them compelling enough anywhere on the scale from likability to villainy, and Elizabeth Olsen’s turn in the title role reps a speed bump in her rise to stardom. Already sold to numerous territories, this otherwise well-cast picture will find a berth in most markets friendly toward classic-lit costume dramas, but is unlikely to win more than middling arthouse B.O.

Get Toronto Film Festival News and alerts free to your inbox

Her mother unknown, little Therese is dumped as a child by her seafaring father on the rural doorstep of his only living relative, a sister. The widowed Madame Raquin (Jessica Lange) endlessly dotes on her sickly son — with whom the new arrival must share a bed — yet is markedly cooler toward Therese, who is treated just slightly better than a servant and expected to be grateful for it. Upon reaching adulthood, frail Camille (Tom Felton) announces he’s landed a job in Paris, while Madame announces his marriage to dismayed Therese, who has little choice in the matter, her father having meanwhile died in a shipwreck.

The trio move to a Paree far less “gay” than dreary and dirty (perhaps abetted by the pic’s having actually been shot in Serbia and Hungary). There, Camille slaves at his clerkship while Therese, no happier a wife than expected, assists in Madame’s fabric store. Camille is thrilled to discover that a onetime hometown playmate works at the same firm; strapping, swarthy Laurent (Oscar Isaac) is in turn thrilled to find this milquetoast has a pretty wife who blushes crimson at the least off-color remark.

Soon Laurent and Therese are trysting secretly, frequently and far more graphically than Zola ever detailed. It dawns that they can only truly, openly be together if Camille were to suffer a fatal “accident.” This is duly arranged in due course. But even after Madame gives her consent for widowed Therese to marry the obvious replacement choice — Laurent, who’s carefully played the part of devoted, selfless family friend — the conspirators find no peace. They never imagined the extent to which tormenting guilt might poison the love they risked so much for. Zola’s clever plot mechanics drum up some suspense in the late going, as Madame Raquin, having lost powers of speech and movement from a hysterical-grief-triggered stroke, struggles to communicate the ugly truth she uncovers about her son’s death.

Felton and Isaac do good work, while Lange (who also starred in another so-so Zola adaptation, 1998′s “Cousin Bette”) relishes what becomes the most dramatically potent role, at least in this incarnation. Shirley Henderson provides some muted comic spark as a nosy member of the family’s dismal Paris social circle. Wide-eyed Olsen, however, strikes a petulant note too early to draw us into Therese’s plight, making for a central figure that never really centers the film. It’s not a bad performance, just not an interesting or involving one.

Making his first theatrical feature after stage and TV work, Stratton does a competent job, but fails to lend the pic any strong personal, stylistic or atmospheric stamp beyond the gloom induced by so many scenes set in dank, underlit rooms. Tech/design contributions are pro.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lone Pirate
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh, the horror of a studio/distributor being more concerned about ROI than shiny trinkets for the mantle. Where is the Change.org petition for us to sign so we can adequately express our outrage over this travesty?

ReplyCopy URL
    Smileynate
    Participant
    Topics:

Isn’t this pretty much the exact same thread as the Jessica Lange thread?  I mean I love her as an actress, but now I feel like I open Goldderby and there’s this, there’s the JL thread and then all of these are also reposted in the Best Supporting Actress thread.  Perhaps a limit on how many times the same posts can be put in multiple threads is in order?  Or maybe just a little more self control?  LOL.

ReplyCopy URL
    Smileynate
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s all good- that’s why I added the LOL.  It was just overwhelming- it might be the HUGE meme of her at the bottom of every post haha!  And like I said, I think she’s fantastic so it was meant to be more good-natured. 

ReplyCopy URL
    RGLeBlanc
    Topics:

First off, i’ve literally watched the new trailer for Horror Story at least 20 times, as well as have MANY of my Face Book friends who have all gushed about how great it is.  Each video/picture is also a chance for me to further push Therese, and several new friends are very much on the bandwagon with it!  Jessica clearly looks 1/2 her age, and Kathy Bates/Angela Bassett are NOT fooling around this season!  Onto the Therese review… I have to say i’m a tad shocked at how scathing this recent review has been.  Does anyone personally know this man or know his past reviews to be 100% accurate on any level?  I often wonder if things like this are written with a personal intent/vendetta.  The other reviews I have read have been rather pleasant, positive, and praised noteworthy performances.  I will have to see this movie for myself to be able to give an accurate review, and I have no problem being accurate putting my ”fanboy” tendencies aside, but I just can’t see it being as bad as this latest review.  I watched the 10 minute video from TIFF where Olsen stated she didn’t like to see herself on the big screen infront of a huge crowd being judged, and for that matter, Jessica has said that for years.  If this movie didn’t turn out as planned, I don’t believe we would see Jessica being as positive as she has been on film and through statements.  She has CLEARLY never has a problem before saying some movies were shit, like “Hush” and “A Thousand Acres.”  For the record, “A Thousand Acres” had ALL of the potential in the world, but had the worst editing job in history leaving a fantastic story very unfinished, rushed, and leaving me overall upset at the final product.  Okay, BRING ON THE NEXT REVIEW FELLAS !!!

ReplyCopy URL
    RGLeBlanc
    Topics:

You got it buddy!  Today has just been so exciting for me that i’m bursting at the seams.  I’ll be anxiously awaiting the next post/review with my lips sealed 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Oh another legitimate site’s review, from Indiewire:
    ‘Therese,’ Starring Elizabeth Olsen, Oscar Isaac and Jessica Lange, Fails On Every Level

Olsen plays Therese with a face so sour they should name a whisky cocktail in her honor…it’s really the face of someone who must be wondering how her agent allowed her to take on such a role.
    Not only are the accents wrong, the backdrop looks like it has been borrowed from Roman Polanki’s “Oliver Twist.”
    The triangle just keeps on being hit with a monotonous wand…It takes a special talent to turn the romantic lyricism of Zola and turn it into chick-lit. Stratton approaches these scenes with all the poise of a fish out of water.
    Criticwire gradeF 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
Reply To: The Official IN SECRET Thread (2/21/14; Film receives mixed reviews; Lange receives raves.)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.