Home Forums Movies The Official THERESE Thread (Release Date: 9/27/2013)

The Official THERESE Thread (Release Date: 9/27/2013)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Deadline just released this news –

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/therese-movie-elizabeth-olsen-release-date-september-27-ld-entertainment/

EXCLUSIVE: Producer-distributor LD Entertainment is planning a fall festival run and a September 27, 2013 release for Therese, directed and written by Charlie Stratton and starring Elizabeth Olsen, Tom Felton, Jessica Lange and Oscar Isaac. An Oscar campaign is also planned for the romantic thriller based on the Emile Zola novel Therese Raquin, which
    is set in the lower depths of 1860s Paris. Therese (Olsen) is a
    sexually repressed woman trapped into a loveless marriage to her sickly
    cousin Camille (Felton) by her domineering aunt, Madame Raquin (Lange).
    After she meets her husband’s alluring friend, Laurent (Isaac), she
    embarks on an illicit affair that leads to tragic consequences. Shirley
    Henderson, John Kavanagh, Mackenzie Crook and Matt Lucas co-star. LD’s
    Mickey Liddell and Pete Shilaimon produced the pic with William Horberg.
    Exclusive Media is repping international rights.

i cannot wait to see this film.  It marks two important events for me:
    Jessica Lange’s film comeback and getting to see Lange work opposite the
    brilliant Elizabeth
    Olsen.  I hope and have a feeling this film will garner both of these ladies many noms and accolades.

Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I adore Elizabeth Olsen, and it’ll be great seeing Lange back on the big screen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

^ Yeah, I’m excited for this film all around.  I also like that it hasn’t been overhyped.  it’s been just under the industry’s radar, though not off of it.  I really think it’s going to surprise a lot of people.  I cannot wait for some Lange and Olsen!

ReplyCopy URL
    black30
    Topics:

Please make sure to keep the main Lange thread going no matter what.

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

LD Entertainment? I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Please make sure to keep the main Lange thread going no matter what.

Of course.  I’ll always promote Legend and as long as Tom O’Neil and the other moderators are nice enough to put up with me, I will carefully use the portion of this wonderful forum that has been given to me for free, i.e. my account and its priveleges, to promulgate Legend’s perfection.

Again, nothing will keep me from promoting her.  Not even an evil bastard who’s starting to resemble a bald, blue-eyed, grey turtle…

This one’s just missing the blue eyes, but the glare is perfect…

LD Entertainment? I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Yeah, because they were so unsuccessful with this?

http://www.ldentertainment.com/#!LD/films/now_available:albert_nobbs

Seriously…

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

“Albert Nobbs” was released by Roadside Attractions which managed to get big nominations for “Winter’s Bone” and “Biutiful”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

”Albert Nobbs” was released by Roadside Attractions which managed to get big nominations for “Winter’s Bone” and “Biutiful”.

LD Entertainment was the US distributor for both “Albert Nobbs” (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1602098/companycredits?ref_=tt_dt_co) and “Biutiful” (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1164999/companycredits?ref_=tt_dt_co).  However, they have no connection to “Winter’s Bone” as far as I can tell.

Still, both films were campaigned for in the US by LD Entertainment.  I know I’m not as savvy as all of you are when it comes to the industry/business, but…

In an effort to maintain a high degree of fairness and dignity in the
    process by which film studios, producers, distributors, marketers and
    others
    (collectively referred to as “film companies”) promote films
    eligible for Academy Awards® to Academy members…

[url]http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/regulations.html[/url]

Seems like I qualify as “others”, though I’m not affiliated with any film companies.  (To quote Angelina Jolie in “Gia”: “I’m just some dumb girl from Philly.”  Really, I’m from the Bronx.  And I’m a male.)   LD was definitely the US distributor for both films.   I’m assuming more than one distributor can campaign for a film at a time and I’m assuming this is what happened with both – LD campaigned and was successful.  I may be wrong.

Either way, I don’t mean to be snarky, it’s just – people online have been pinching and slapping my ass all day over trying to get word out about this film, Olsen and Lange.

I can take it, though…

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Have you seen every single Jessica Lange movie?

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

Obviously I will reserve judgement until I actually see the film, but Elizabeth Olsen seems miscast. I studied the book in college, and from what I know about the novel, I just don’t feel like Olsen has the physicality to pull it off. Firstly, she’s too good-looking for the role, not to mention her character is, if I recall correctly, supposed to be half African (or at least part? I forget).So there’s some racebending going on there. And on top of all of that, the characters are supposed to all be French. The film is gonna require suspension of disbelief, for me.

Anyway, i enjoyed reading the novel; the story is hella entertaining and a fascinating study of the two leads. Oscar Issac’s character is the far more interesting and baity role, imo. I feel like the title “Therese” is inaccurate to the narrative; it should be called “Therese and Laurent”, because Issac’s character, at least in the novel, completely dominates the story as soon as he enters it. In fact, I would even argue that it focuses on him slightly more. Therese, at least in the novel, is too passive and hardly ever says or does much. She communicates more with facial expressions and her body language; which is why I don’t think Olsen has the physicality for the role, because it requires a lot of subtlety and restraint. But we’ll see.

I look forward to watching the film, nonetheless. I hope they do the novel justice.

ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

I am going to reserve judgement as well,
    but from what i am hearing here in New York by a few industry
    insiders…
    ALL IS LOVE  will be a very unhappy person come sept 27th.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Have you seen every single Jessica Lange movie?

Actually…

I know people are going to laugh their asses off, but I’ve never seen “All That Jazz” from start to finish.  I haven’t even seen all of Lange’s scenes.  I’ve always caught bits and pieces of the film, though I could always tell I would probably love it.  I blame it on not enough Lange to get me to come back, so yeah…

I look forward to watching the film, nonetheless. I hope they do the novel justice.

I should send you the script.  It’s a fine read.  The most interesting parts are Olsen, Lange and Isaac’s, in that order.

I am going to reserve judgement as well, but from what i am hearing here in New York by a few industry insiders…  ALL IS LOVE  will be a very unhappy person come sept 27th.

::sigh:: Why not share what you’ve heard, lol?  I mean, if it’s going to change things so drastically to the point of my unhappiness, why not just spill it?  Look, I’m definitely hoping and feeling that Lange and Olsen will get recognition – especially Lange, who has the respect and career narrative to warrant an Oscar nomination – for their work in this film.  If it doesn’t pan out, then it wasn’t meant to.  I’m not going to die, or hurt someone or lose my mind behind it.

Still, this is probably a more accurate quote:

I want ALL IS LOVE  to be a very unhappy person come sept 27th.

And this is probably a better response from me to you and “the others”…

ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

I am one of the few posters here that has NO animosity towards you and your threads..although
    your obsession is a bit funny to me..since you just admitted that you have NOT seen all of Lange’s
    films….and some just bits and pieces of her scenes.
    I dont want her or the film to fail…..I , too enjoy Jessica Lange..and she would be welcomed in
    my top 5 of supporting or lead actress for a worthy performance..

What i have heard is that the film is stale and quite slow moving…and a bit of a DANGEROUS LIAISONS
    rip off…if a Sept release is the studios choice, unfortunately this could be putting a nail in the coffin
    of a film which might get a few critically good reviews, but i dont see any box office here…if it becomes
    an indy cult film…it might be safe to say that Olson and Lange will both not figure in the oscar race..

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I am one of the few posters here that has NO animosity towards you and your threads..although
    your obsession is a bit funny to me..since you just admitted that you have NOT seen all of Lange’s
    films….and some just bits and pieces of her scenes.
    I dont want her or the film to fail…..I , too enjoy Jessica Lange..and she would be welcomed in
    my top 5 of supporting or lead actress for a worthy performance..

What i have heard is that the film is stale and quite slow moving…and a bit of a DANGEROUS LIAISONS
    rip off…if a Sept release is the studios choice, unfortunately this could be putting a nail in the coffin
    of a film which might get a few critically good reviews, but i dont see any box office here…if it becomes
    an indy cult film…it might be safe to say that Olson and Lange will both not figure in the oscar race..

I’ll give your post the benefit of the doubt so as not to perpetuate the negativity…

As for what you’ve heard, even if the film is slow-moving and rips a bit off of “Dangeorus Liaisons” – neither of which I believe to be true – the most important aspects of this film are still Olsen and Lange.  Both are respected in the industry, with one being an established star and the other being an exciting up-and-coming actress who was lauded for her breakout role in one of the best films of 2011.  Some believe, including me, that Olsen was snubbed which only helps her chances.  As for  Lange, she’s a legend and she alone could pull this off (hello, she’s doing it – getting awards and lots and lots of nominations – with “American Horror Story” and that’s a lot harder and riskier), but she won’t have to here.  Olsen will be phenomenal, along with the rest of the lauded cast and Oscar-nominated and -winning production team..

As I’ve already expressed, I read the script and the roles for both ladies are there, on the page.  Still, all Lange needs to do is show Hollywood she stopped fvcking with her face for this one and turn in a riveting performance, which she almost always does, and the nomination is easily hers for the taking.  Even if it is a very good year in the Supporting Actress category, all Lange has to do further to push her over the edge is some light campaigning, which she never really does, and the nod is hers.

Again, Lange deserves a nomination because:

1) her performance will be that good.
    2) so will the reviews (let me not dig up the RAVES she got for her nothing moment in an empty blockbuster, “The Vow”).
    3) because she’s a legend who has gone from the upper echelons of Hollywood down to the very bottom and back again, more times than most could endure.  Also, if people like Jacki Weaver, who was great but not really Oscar-worthy, can get a nod to celebrate one of the most successful films of the year, Lange can get one to celebrate both her return to film, however big or small, and to celebrate her hugely successful career in general. 

Still, I think her performance and the film itself will be good enough to get deserved nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

^Lange pretty much dominates that clip, and she looks great as always. Can’t wait to see more. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.