The Oscars 2015. Since When???

Home // Forums // Movies // The Oscars 2015. Since When???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

PEDANT ALERT!!!

This is really bugging me. On the Academy’s website these nominations are announced as ‘The Oscars 2015’.

WAH???

When did they start doing that? These aren’t The Oscars 2015. They are the 87th Annual Academy Awards celebrating the films of 2014. The ceremony just happens to take place in 2015.

I’ve been doing this for 30 years now and the rule has always been that you refer to the year in which the ceremony is for not the year in which it takes place. Going by this there must be a year when no awards where given out at all.

’12 Years A Slave’ is the 2013 Best Picture winner. ‘Boyhood will probably be the Best Picture or 2014. The Academy themselves stating otherwise is incredibly confusing. We now officially have the Best Film of 2014 being awarded at The Oscars 2015. Why don’t they just stick with the chronological title that they’ve always given it?

ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Agreed, they should fix that. It’s ludicrously confusing.

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

Yeah, I hate that, too.  These are the 2014 nominations, dammit!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Glad I’m not alone.

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, that’s just weird. I know Chris Beachum is quick to chide anyone here who makes that mistake, and it’s weird to think the Academy would do it. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

I hate it. I remeber when I was first on this forum a decade or so ago it used to be one of the rules that you always referred to the year that someone won for not in.

That has stayed pretty consistent ever since, but how can that now be the case if the Academy are saying otherwise?

ReplyCopy URL
    That Don Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Since when does AMPAS even list a year?  Isn’t it always “The #th Annual Academy Awards”?

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

Hate it when people do that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

I hate it. I remeber when I was first on this forum a decade or so ago it used to be one of the rules that you always referred to the year that someone won for not in.

That has stayed pretty consistent ever since, but how can that now be the case if the Academy are saying otherwise?

It still happens quite a lot, and the primary culprit is IMDB, which uses the ceremony year (aka, the wrong one) instead of the one being celebrated.  At least AMPAS and Wiki do it right.  And even if this is just the Academy in a branding exercise, there’s no reason to think that the actual awards database it has will change. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve tweeted the Academy telling the to #SortItOut.

I think you should all do the same.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s even more confusing this year. The main page calls them the…………..

2016 Oscar Nominations

But when you click on the link they suddenly becomes the………..

2015 Oscar Nominees

#SortItOut

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Yep, ha ha. 

ReplyCopy URL
    R. Brittain
    Participant
    Topics:

The confusion has been there for decades. Official Academy records treat the 88th Academy Awards as for 2015, the calendar year of the films in consideration. However, many outside sources — including ABC, the longtime Oscar broadcaster — go by the year in which the ceremony is held, 2016; that sometimes causes even the Academy to get confused. (Wikipedia uses the year-of-films rule; IMDb the year-of-ceremony rule.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

And while we’re at that, can’t they really give up on the idiotic The Oscars?!
    The mediocre producers of the last few shows came up with that and explained that the Grammys use that. But the Oscars are the ultimate showbiz award. They shouldn’t care about the Grammys. Other award shows try and imitate the Oscars.

So the Academy should focus on tradition and keep The 88th Annual Academy Awards. It matters. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

THIS^^^

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: The Oscars 2015. Since When???

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.