TIFF 2017

Home // Forums // Movies // TIFF 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
7 hours ago
replies
views
users
  • ereyethirn
    Participant
    Topics:

The reviews of Mudbound and CMBYN are great. I’m skeptical about Netflix, but I think Mudbound will get a big push from critics and award pundits.

I don’t know what to do with Downsizing. The reviews, for the movie and the performances, are very very mixed. Dave Karger saw it today and thinks it should get it for pic, actor, screenplay, and supporting actress.

I’m really struggling with it too, most pundits seem to rate it’s chances quite well but the reaction to it seems very mixed and with the field already looking quite strong I’m skeptical.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I suspect Downsizing will be lucky to land nods in Supporting Actress and Original Screenplay, given how polarizing it’s proven thus far.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Nicholson at the Oscars (1981) – Reds

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I only have Downsizing in supporting actress at the moment, though I’ve heard good things about its production design so that could also be a possibility. Original Screenplay is looking very tough, and I’m wondering if this will be another case of a famous auteur being snubbed in this category for less divisive work, like PT Anderson for The Master and Tarantino for The Hateful Eight.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Stronger First Reactions

Benjamin Lee: A moving, humane drama with a standout peformance from Jake Gyllenhaal – Oscar worthy.

Eric Kohn: STRONGER is pretty straightforward, but has some of DGG’s most emotional filmmaking since SNOW ANGELS. Gyllenhaal sells it.

Kristopher Tapley: Jake Gyllenhaal is superb once again in “Stronger.” Tatiana Maslany does quite a lot with her own familiar role as well.

Kate Erbland: STRONGER: We really don’t talk enough about how damn good Jake Gyllenhaal is.

Tyrell Lisson: STRONGER: fantastic work from Jake Gyllenhaal. Emotional and warm-hearted.

Joe Utichi: Jake Gyllenhaal is on top form with Stronger, about Jeff Bauman. A rousing, emotional story. Tatiana Maslany brilliant.

Rodrigo Perez: a serviceable, but unremarkable drama. Features respectable performances by its two leads Jake Gyllenhaal and Tatiana Maslany.

Eric Grode: STRONGER: No false notes to speak of, without a particularly truthful second in it either. Nice to have Miranda Richardson back.

Rachael Glassman: Stronger: a decent film with a few interesting set pieces. Worth a cry.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Tempted to predict Gyllenhaal for the Globes now. Can’t see anything more though.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Molly’s Game First Reactions

David Ehrlich: MOLLY’S GAME is *phenomenal,* an Erin Brockovich-level crowd destroyer. Also it’s the first good poker movie ever. Wasn’t sure we’d get one.

Kristopher Tapley: Molly’s Game: I kind of loved it. Assured transition from Sorkin. Jessica Chastain is [THREE FIRE EMOJIS]

Scott Mantz: MOLLY’S GAME: Exhilarating directorial debut by Aaron Sorkin! Tour-de-force performance by Jessica Chastain! It’s a female Goodfellas!

Erik Davis: MOLLY’S GAME is SO good; powering at a frenetic pace w/ whip-smart dialogue & killer performances from Jessica Chastain & Idris Elba

Richard Lawson: Wow, MOLLY’S GAME is an absolute blast. Chastain and Elba are terrific and Sorkin avoids most of his worst impulses. Fun!!

Mike Ryan: Sorkin’s MOLLY’S GAME. Phenomenal. And it’s the Jessica Chastain movie I’ve been waiting for since ZDT.

Alison Willmore: MOLLY’S GAME: Such fun at first the reminder Sorkin only conceives of women in relation to men in their lives more crushing than usual

Benjamin Lee: Watching Molly’s Game is like being told a really long rambling story by an over caffeinated cocaine addict. Not a fan

Steven Zeitchik: Molly’s Game is maximum Sorkin, The Social Network but with poker and feminism. Also, God-level Chastain/Elba

Josh Horowitz: I can now talk about MOLLY’S GAME! One of my favorites of the year. Everyone in it is awesome Chastain, Elba, Costner, Cera and on

Anne Thompson: Kevin Costner & Jessica Chastain are explosive in Molly’s Game.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

I, Tonya First Reactions

E. Oliver Whitney: Completely loved I, Tonya. Takes a darkly hilarious approach that works surprisingly well. Robbie is stellar. Janney total dynamite

Jeff Sneider: Lot of parallels between I, TONYA & MOLLY’S GAME, surprisingly. Margot is excellent, but Allison Janney is the real Oscar shoo-in as Mrs H.

Matt Jacobs: I, Tonya is a kooky, darkly comedic treat. Allison Janney is an absolute showstopper as a Tonya Harding’s blistering mommy dearest.

Rebecca Ford: I, Tonya gets a 5.9 from me which if you know anything about skating is really great. Loved it.

Scott Menzel: I, Tonya was a real surprise. A fascinating and funny look into the life of Tonya Harding. Robbie is terrific as is Janney.

Brian Tallerico: I, TONYA: Takes Coenesque dark comedy approach to a story you think you know and nails it. Robbie is phenomenal. Biggest surprise so far.

Adam Chitwood: ‘I, Tonya’: A hilarious and surprisingly emotional take on Tonya Harding. Margot Robbie’s incredible. GREAT script.

Alison Willmore: I, TONYA: Duelling narrators, class rage, Margot Robbie crushing a cig out with a skate — over-obvious soundtrack aside, a total bop

Steven Weintraub: Seriously I’m floored by I, Tonya. I’ve seen a lot of the TIFF 2017 films and this is one of the best.

Benjamin Lee: I, Tonya is a cartoonish mess at times but there’s a lot of fun to be had and a towering, monstrous performance from Allison Janney

Kevin Polowy: I, TONYA: way funnier than any Tonya Harding bio has the right to be, even if uneven. Margot Robbie is great, but Allison Janney is a force.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

Once I, Tonya finds distributor I hope they wait with releasing the movie till next year’s August or September.

ReplyCopy URL
    unbb24
    Participant
    Topics:

It looks like Jessica Chastain and Allison Janney could be Oscar contenders

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Professor Marston & The Wonder Women First Reactions

Angie J Han: Professor Marston is fantastic: smart and sexy and sweet, with a next level performance by Rebecca Hall. The year of Wonder Woman continues!

Andrea Mandela: PROFESSOR MARSTON is a slow burn but (wo)man, does it pay off

Matt Jacobs: Calling all Connie Britton hair enthusiasts: Her prissy 1940s bouffant in Professor Marston and the Wonder Women is TIFFs scene-stealer.

Alicia Malone: PROFESSOR MARSTON & THE WONDER WOMAN: fascinating story & companion piece to WW. Appreciated the feminine touch on taboo subjects

Jared Mobarak: Professor Marston: great biopic wherein what’s given context is the creation born from the lives depicted, not creators. Hall excels

Chris Evangelista: PROFESSOR MARSTON & THE WONDER WOMEN: a bit biopic-y, but funny, sexy and charming. Rebecca Hall is INCREDIBLE.

Erik Davis: Rebecca Hall continues to crush every single performance she gives. Professor Marston & the Wonder Women may be her best yet

Adam Lubitow: PROFESSOR MARSTON: Biggest surprise of the festival so far. It’s fantastic: smart, funny, sexy w/ three fantastic lead performances.

Adam B Vary: Really respected how PROFESSOR MARSTON & THE WONDER WOMEN *goes there* exploring Wonder Woman’s sub/dom, polyamorous origins.

Peter Bradshaw: A tone of forced sweetness and celebratory earnestness, where something more savoury would have been better

Jordan Hoffman: PROF MARSTON + THE WW is a frustrating film. First half is GREAT! 2nd…not so much.

ReplyCopy URL
    Julia Spencer
    Participant
    Topics:

Oscar nomination for Rebecca Hall!!! She should have allready one for Christine.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Hall should’ve won an Oscar for Christine. Like that film, unfortunately, I suspect this one will also be too small and get lost in the shuffle.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Nicholson at the Oscars (1981) – Reds

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

Another rave for Thompson, this time from Screendaily. It seems she’s to be this year’s version of Rachel Weisz in Denial last year: a brilliant, acclaimed performance in too small and simple a film.

ReplyCopy URL
    PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

Sheesh seems like every movie is a hit

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
Reply To: TIFF 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.