Home Forums Movies TIFF 2017

TIFF 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
  • Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m here. Got 28 films booked in over the 10 days.

CMBYN is the inevitable, annual ‘masterpiece’ that I have major reservations about. Just didn’t buy the central relationship at all or the cryptic dialogue spoken by everyone throughout. It’s saved by a wonderful last 20 mins in which Stulbarg becomes a Supporting frontrunner if Hammer’s blatant category fraud doesn’t cannibalise his votes.

Thompson is great in The Children Act but what starts out as an interesting legal/moral/marital drama becomes some preposterous stalker nonsense. Classy BBC Sunday night TV movie which looks risible on the big screen.

Suburbicon is a grade A clusterfuck.

Seeing Novitiate and Roman J. Israel Esq this eve.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Baby Clyde.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Miles Allen
    Participant
    Topics:

The Current War got mixed reviews. Finally, a fall festival casuality. It was starting to seem like every movie was an Oscar contender which is overwhelming when you’re trying to predict.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles Allen
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m here. Got 28 films booked in over the 10 days.

CMBYN is the inevitable, annual ‘masterpiece’ that I have major reservations about. Just didn’t buy the central relationship at all or the cryptic dialogue spoken by everyone throughout. It’s saved by a wonderful last 20 mins in which Stulbarg becomes a Supporting frontrunner if Hammer’s blatant category fraud doesn’t cannibalise his votes.

People seem to be raving about Stuhlbarg in this film and I would love for him to be nominated, especially since he also has The Post and The Shape of Water this year. However, it’s hard for me to imagine a scenario in which he and Hammer get nominated in the same category since they seem to have a heavy screentime imbalance. It seems weird to me. Right now I am predicting Chalamet and Hammer in lead and supporting, respectively, but if Stuhlbarg is really great I could see him getting nominated in supporting and the other two snubbed.

Thompson is great in The Children Act but what starts out as an interesting legal/moral/marital drama becomes some preposterous stalker nonsense. Classy BBC Sunday night TV movie which looks risible on the big screen.

Suburbicon is a grade A clusterfuck.

Seeing Novitiate and Reuben J. Israel Esq this eve.

I am predicting Roman J. Israel, Esq. In Picture, Actor, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress so depending on how things go tonight, my predictions could change drastically.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure CMBYN is as Academy friendly as people are anticipating. It’s a REALLY slow burn that looks lovely but the emotional pay off is extremely subtle as are the performances.          

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d tentatively had The Current War in my predictions for Picture and Actor just because it was Weinstein’s only apparent contender this year, though I became sceptical after the first trailer, which looked weirdly superficially glossy. I thought I might as well leave the predictions in until the first reviews came; now that they have, those predictions for The Current War have gone in the bin.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d tentatively had The Current War in my predictions for Picture and Actor just because it was Weinstein’s only apparent contender this year, though I became sceptical after the first trailer, which looked weirdly superficially glossy. I thought I might as well leave the predictions in until the first reviews came; now that they have, those predictions for The Current War have gone in the bin.

i believe wind river is also with the Weinstein company? But current war has been getting meh reviews

ReplyCopy URL
    salvador
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure CMBYN is as Academy friendly as people are anticipating. It’s a REALLY slow burn that looks lovely but the emotional pay off is extremely subtle as are the performances.

Please tell me it’s not as subtle (i.e. inexistent) as it was in Carol. Because if it’s like that it won’t make the book justice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

The Current War may not be netting the greatest of notices but I still wouldn’t count out Shannon or its hopes in a couple of the tech categories. Weinstein will still push hard.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Nicholson at the Oscars (1981) – Reds

ReplyCopy URL
    PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

Finally a flop! Reactions from Roman J Israel Esq are mixed at best.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    Kwame
    Participant
    Topics:

finally? there’ve been quite a few movies with similar meh reactions.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

That means zero for him to secure a nomination. Flight only received two nods. And Fences was no juggernaut despite have all the prestige in the world on paper.

ReplyCopy URL
    pksacrtic
    Participant
    Topics:

The Current War may not be netting the greatest of notices but I still wouldn’t count out Shannon or its hopes in a couple of the tech categories. Weinstein will still push hard.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Nicholson at the Oscars (1981) – Reds

Shannon already has The Shape of Water. He’s not gonna need this flop Current War anymore.

ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Just when one thought the Best Actor field couldn’t get any weaker 😀 I guess Gyllenhaal might be in after all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ron Loyola
    Participant
    Topics:

Jason Clarke is receiving glowing reviews as Ted Kennedy in “Chappaquidick. Film has been acquired for $20M. Might be a contender.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.