Home Forums Movies TIFF 2017

TIFF 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
  • M
    Participant
    Topics:

Jason Clarke is receiving glowing reviews as Ted Kennedy in “Chappaquidick. Film has been acquired for $20M. Might be a contender.

Sounds like they overspent for that one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure CMBYN is as Academy friendly as people are anticipating. It’s a REALLY slow burn that looks lovely but the emotional pay off is extremely subtle as are the performances.

Please tell me it’s not as subtle (i.e. inexistent) as it was in Carol. Because if it’s like that it won’t make the book justice.

Very similar if you ask me. Takes forever to get to the relationship and when it does coyly pans away from any sex scenes and crops out any nudity. Quite how they ever get together is a mystery and they only speak to each other in riddles. All very frustrating.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Finally a flop! Reactions from Roman J Israel Esq are mixed at best.

It’s pretty bad. Starts out an interesting legal drama/character study but tries to take on so many issues and follow so many plot points that it sinks under the weight. There’s a taught thriller in their somewhere but wouldn’t know how to describe it by the end. It’s a muddled, unfocused dud.

Having said that Denzel shouldn’t be totally counted out in such a weak field as he’s really good and does lots of ACTING!!! Which the Academy love.

Novitiate is really strong but don’t see it going over particularly well with the Academy apart from Leo who knocks it out the park. She gives a towering performance humanising what could easily have been a cliched, evil Mother Superior role. She’s in unless something goes horribly wrong.

I’m off to mother! now.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Baby Clyde.
    ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Going to catch up on my updates from the festival:

My favourite film so far is Stronger, which is bolstered by strong performances but also feels so real and emotional that it is gripping throughout. I think that Maslany will be this film’s horse in the race,
    Low end nomination comp: The Sessions, High end nominations: The Fighter

The Upside may not be really in the Oscar race, but as a huge fan of the original, I was very pleased with the adaptation, and particularly by the performance from Kevin Hart. A big surprise from him, and it’s too bad he couldn’t get an earlier release for this one.

Speaking of strong performances, Emma Thompson is also quite good in The Children Act, which gives enough to carry the film. I don’t think the other performances are strong enough to do anything, but especially given her popularity within the academy, her name could be in the conversation for a solo nod. Though that race is TIGHT.

Downsizing, as many others said, is a bit of a letdown. I enjoyed it, but I was left feeling that it could have been a lot better. I did love the performance by Hong Chau, so that buzz should be believed, but the screenplay is not up to his usual standard. I don’t know what to think about its chances, because it is such an original film but seems to under-serve its concept.

Finally, last night I had the chance to see the Best Actor winner for this year in Darkest Hour. I thought Gary Oldman’s career best work was in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I was wrong. I got very strong Lincoln vibes from this, in the sense that I missed seeing Oldman as I felt that Churchill himself was on screen. Like Lincoln though, the film itself will be a bit of a bore at times for any non-history buffs, which limits its chances outside of the central performance.

I’ve seen all my major ones now I think, as the rest of my schedule is based around smaller films that I like seeing in TIFF. But if anyone wanted to know anything else about any of these films, let me know!

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

My favourite film so far is Stronger, which is bolstered by strong performances but also feels so real and emotional that it is gripping throughout. I think that Maslany will be this film’s horse in the race,

Thoughts on Gyllenhaal and his chances?

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Early notices suggest career-best work by Glenn Close in The Wife – will a distributor bite for 2017?

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Nicholson at the Oscars (1981) – Reds

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Even if it does, the Best Actress race is already getting very crowded. There’s going to be some inevitable snubs in January.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pretty surprised so many people like Stronger as much as they did because I thought it was the worst of the movies I’ve seen at TIFF, though Breathe has beaten that for worst at this point.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Maslany a lead or supporting in Stronger?

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Maslany a lead or supporting in Stronger?

supporting

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Thoughts on Gyllenhaal and his chances?

I currently have him in my 4th/5th slot, behind Oldman, Day-Lewis and Washington, and about level with Jackman and Hanks without really knowing what to expect from those movies/performances. The academy has ignored Gyllenhaal enough times that I’m not as confident as I might otherwise have been after seeing his performance. I expect he will be on the fringe all season, but we need to see some other contenders drop off if he’s going to make it into the final lineup.

ReplyCopy URL
    BigJay2012
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m interested to hear about Halle Berry’s “Kings”

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Same here. We might get a few surprises. I really just e
    Want to see the film though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles Allen
    Participant
    Topics:

Without seeing either of the films and just watching the trailer, Breathe = British Stronger.

ReplyCopy URL
    BigJay2012
    Participant
    Topics:

Same here. We might get a few surprises. I really just e
    Want to see the film though.

Me too. On paper it sounds like a great role for her

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.