Home Forums Movies Tom O’Neil’s Fearless, Peerless, 100% Accurate Golden Globe Predictions

Tom O’Neil’s Fearless, Peerless, 100% Accurate Golden Globe Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Tom O’Neil
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I realize that this title usually gets me big trouble, but it’s now a tradition. Whatcha thank of my picks?

http://www.goldderby.com/news/8176/golden-globes-predictions-entertainment-13579086-story.html

http://shar.es/1HNcX6

Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Ooh, boy. Thanks for the insight as always, Tom.

The Screenplay award is interesting. You mention that voters loved Birdman, which seems to be true, but they also really loved The Grand Budapest Hotel. If they’re really going to give Birdman awards for Picture, Director, and Actor, wouldn’t Screenplay be uncharacteristically overkill for the HFPA? I think they’re going to try to reward Anderson.

That Kevin Spacey controversy is interesting. Have you heard any other bits of insight on what that might entail? Could be enough to sway me on some last second switches in Drama Series and Drama Actor.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan Lapierre
    Participant
    Topics:

Man this article made me switch to Clive Owen. And I promised my self to not make any changes.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting. I do like your song pick. Anything but “Glory” please.

ReplyCopy URL
    Colin Powis
    Topics:

TOM ..I watched your podcast with Tarik Khan and then the podcast with the other Editors and you made a wise and  convincing case for INNARRITU winning best director …Boomer was also quite convincing …here in England LINKLARER Is 1-6 on with the Bookies and INarritu 5-1 against ; I think it could go either way but with those kinds of odds it’s well worth the risk ; if you are correct I will be both  impressed and grateful

Furthermore , your reasoning why the Globe voters will chose Inarritu sounds very plauseable ; they really do love their movie stars and prefer their movies to be all glamour and excitment ; a movie such as boyhood seems too tedious and maudlin , whereas Birdman seems like just their cup of tea

I never actually managed to endure Boyhood for 2 looong hours as it seemed like 12 Years a bore

ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I agree with almost all of Tom’s predictions, but I agree with Halo_Insider about Grand Budapest for Screenplay.

I also don’t see Amy Adams winning for Big Eyes. I saw the film and really enjoyed it, but it has truly disappointed at the box office and flown so far under the radar that I doubt she picks up a win (unlike American Hustle, which was a real awards contender, critically-acclaimed, and certainly popular). I have Emily Blunt winning for Into the Woods. The Golden Globes love musical films so much, and I’m not predicting it to win over Birdman, so I think Blunt is where they will award the film. I have Meryl in a strong second-place behind Arquette.  

Formerly known in the forums as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    Colin Powis
    Topics:

I think Tom is incorrect with his prediction for AMY ADAMS ; if she hadn’t won last year , then maybe yes , but it just seems to me to be an easy win for EMILY BLUNT

ReplyCopy URL
    Sagand
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree with others that Budapest seems the more likely screenplay winner, in recent years it has gone to the film with the most unique voice. No one but Jonze could have writen ‘Her’, or Tarantino ‘Django’ or Allen ‘Midnight in Paris’. Wes Anderson fits that mold perfectly. Plus giving it to Birdman is overkill if they are giving it director.

‘How to Train Your Dragon 2’ Vs ‘Lego Movie’ is giving me a ‘Brave’ Vs ‘Wreck It Ralph’ feel. There just might be too many cultural references for Lego Movie to resonate with the HFPA in the same way as it does Americans.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

All I can say is: I hope not! I will be “booing” loudly whenever the over-rated pretentious drivel “Birdman” wins anything. I get that mine is a minority opinion, but the film is SO pretentious, poorly directed, superficially written & terribly acted (exceptions: Norton, Watts and Duncan), esp. by Keaton and Stone (MY OPINION). I get that it somehow offends people that I don’t choose to “like” this movie, but others say bad things about movies I love all the time on here, and it’s o.k. with me.

I hope a real comedy film wins – The Grand Budapest Hotel and Ralph Fiennes. I hate the category fraud (Big Eyes and Birdman are both dramas in my opinion, not comedies). TGBH has dramatic moments but it’s still a comedy. Into The Woods was  a disappointment for me, and I wanted to love it but didn’t.

I haven’t seen Jennifer Aniston and Julianne Moore’s performances but I am still hoping that one of them wins for Drama. Leaning towards Aniston but either is fine with me. I actually love Helen Mirren’s performance in The Hundred-Foot Journey more than the other two performances I have seen in the Comedy/Musical Actress category (Amy Adams – hers is a dramatic performance; and Emily Blunt, I’ve seen better actresses in the role of the Baker’s Wife and Blunt pales in comparison).

I want Boyhood to win the most awards: Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, and Screenplay! (: (Predicting it will win at least 3, perhaps 4, with J.K. Simmons winning for Whiplash).

I don’t watch enough television – hoping for wins for The Normal Heart and Downton Abbey…. not expecting it though….

ReplyCopy URL
    Tom O’Neil
    Keymaster
    Topics:

yes, those of you picking Budapest for screenplay may very well turn out to be right. I’ve probably gone overboad on Birdman. Globes don’t usually reward one film too many awards, but I did that because voters seem to adore it so much. Hell, believe it or not Emma Stone could actually win supporting actress! I’m not kidding!

Re the Song, I’m actually picking Glory, as my text noted, but I put the X next to the wrong song. Sorry! Fixed now.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

All I can say is: I hope not! I will be “booing” loudly whenever the over-rated pretentious drivel “Birdman” wins anything. I get that mine is a minority opinion, but the film is SO pretentious, poorly directed, superficially written & terribly acted (exceptions: Norton, Watts and Duncan), esp. by Keaton and Stone (MY OPINION). I get that it somehow offends people that I don’t choose to “like” this movie, but others say bad things about movies I love all the time on here, and it’s o.k. with me.

I hope a real comedy film wins – The Grand Budapest Hotel and Ralph Fiennes. I hate the category fraud (Big Eyes and Birdman are both dramas in my opinion, not comedies). TGBH has dramatic moments but it’s still a comedy. Into The Woods was  a disappointment for me, and I wanted to love it but didn’t.

That’s how I feel about The Grand Budapest Hotel (just over the top and obnoxious dialogue, no laughs, and a wasted cast).

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

yes, those of you picking Budapest for screenplay may very well turn out to be right. I’ve probably gone overboad on Birdman. Globes don’t usually reward one film too many awards, but I did that because voters seem to adore it so much. Hell, believe it or not Emma Stone could actually win supporting actress! I’m not kidding!

Re the Song, I’m actually picking Glory, as my text noted, but I put the X next to the wrong song. Sorry! Fixed now.

Emma Stone could very weel be this year’s JLaw! I agree with you!

ReplyCopy URL
    travis112096
    Participant
    Topics:

inarittu did win a golden globe as a producer of babel

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s funny, because I’ll be cheering incredibly loud when the beautifully made masterpiece “Birdman” wins Best Motion Picture – Musical/Comedy and Michael Keaton wins Best Actor: Motion Picture – Musical/Comedy, because I think it is so wonderfully made and probably the best film of the year, especially with performances from Michael Keaton, Emma Stone, Naomi Watts, Edward Norton and Zach Galifianakis. It is going to be wonderful to see Michael Keaton give a roaringly humble and triumphant speech that will hopefully solidify his Oscar win 

Emma Stone could very weel be this year’s JLaw! I agree with you!

Oh please let this happen. Emma gives an absolutely superb performance, and I must say that reactions from detractors that said that Emma was barely in the film really made me lose hope with her chances until I finally saw the movie and was beyond pleasantly surprised to see while she did have the big scene, she had many other awesome scenes where her character is sexy, mysterious, funny, dramatic, dark, adorable and very human. She would be an absolutely awesome winner, and if Arquette is indeed going to win the Oscar, I hope they go against the grain for the Golden Globes and give it to Emma Stone, just as some recognition for her performance. 

I have a lingering feeling Edward Norton might win tonight. Nothing against the marvelous and brilliant J.K. Simmons, but Norton seems like one of those patented surprising Golden Globe upsets, and he’s done it before. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Damm you were right Tom!  Adams winning surprised me, I thought Blunt would  beat her out.  Could Into The Woods go empty handed?  Or it could win the GG for Best Motion Picture-  Musical or Comedy?    Not too shocked though about Birdman winning over Budapest though-  the script was very deserving,  glad that it won.  I don’t know it it’ll repeat at the Oscars though, since Boyhood or Grand Budapest could beat it.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.