October 8, 2014 at 4:18 pm #163339
About three weeks ago, toptenz.net posted a list of films and actors who they felt didn’t deserve to win Razzies in their respective categories and what they felt should’ve awared to. Link: http://www.toptenz.net/10-undeserved-razzie-winners.php
Their picks are:
1. Mommie Dearest (Worst Picture, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Screenplay and Worst Film of the 1980s)
2. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel)
3. Jaws: The Revenge (Worst Visual Effects)
4. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 (Worst Picture, Director, Actress, Supporting Actor, Screen Couple, Ensemble, Sequel)
5. The Love Guru (Worst Picture, Actor, Screenplay)
6. Cocktail (Worst Picture, Screenplay)
7. Hudson Hawk (Worst Picture, Director, Screenplay)
8. The Blair Witch Project (Worst Actress)
9. Lady in the Water (Worst Director, Supporting Actor)
10. Fahrenheit 9/11 (Worst Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Screen Couple)October 8, 2014 at 4:34 pm #163341
The Shining getting all those nominations during the 1st Razzie year.
I can agree on Fahrenheit 9/11, Indiana Jones and The Blair Witch Project, but they thought Twilight, The Love Guru and Lady in the Water were undeserved? Really?October 8, 2014 at 5:22 pm #163342
I’m kind of surprised that anyone would think Jaws: The Revenge as being a movie above any sort of reproach. Then again, I looked at the films it was nominated against, and I suppose The Garbage Pail Kids Movie does make it look like Blade Runner in comparison.October 8, 2014 at 6:16 pm #163343
I think they are pointing out that of all Twilight films they rewarded arguably the best of the series especially when That’s My Boy was nominated against it but Actress, Screen Couple, was well deserved. I’ve never understood why they nominate documentary figures for acting categories and Indiana Jones didn’t deserve worst sequelOctober 8, 2014 at 6:26 pm #163344
It seems silly to say Madonna was undeserving but worst supporting actress for Die Another Day? I know worst actress was close and ended in a tie between Madonna and spears but that security vote to make sure she won a razzie personally went too far!
Maybe Heavens Gate didn’t win because the one in theaters in 1981 was an hour shorter and had a clarifying narration (but was still critically derided) and therefore couldn’t beat Mommie Dearest.October 8, 2014 at 9:47 pm #163345
Some of those I agree with, I suppose. Mommie Dearest is a camp-fest if there ever was one, but there were certainly worse films that year. The Blair Witch Project also seems undeserved. Indiana Jones and the Kingodom of the Crystal Skull was the subject of mostly unjust backlash for not being Raiders of the Lost Ark. Some of those, however, really are bad films. The Love Guru, Hudson Hawk, and Jaws: The Revenge are all thoroughly terrible movies. Of course, many of the wins are more “political,” so to speak, than due to merit–or rather, lack thereof.October 8, 2014 at 10:08 pm #163346
So, winners? Then I’m skipping on the undeserving nominees.
1. Estelle Getty. One of the funniest performances I’ve seen. Yes, she was annoying. But it’s because she needed to be annoying for the part of the momma.
2. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 was actually okay. It didn’t deserve those stupid Razzies.
3. Sandra Bullock is entertaining. Even in a bad movie. We all know why she won for “All About Steve”. They just needed someone to show up.
4. Movie 43. Hollywood couldn’t handle a movie about the society and it sickness.
5. Jonas Brothers. Okay, come on! We all it’s all about hating the boy band. It was a freaking concert movie.
6. Kim Cattrall, Cynthia Nixon and Kristin Davis. I don’t care about SJP, but these women were not Razzie-worthy in the second Sex and the City movie.
7. Heather Donahue. I don’t get the Blair Witch hate. It was one of the most significant horror revolutions I’ve seen.
8. Madonna (“Four Rooms”).October 9, 2014 at 8:14 am #163347
Elaine May’s direction of Ishtar and anything from Showgirls. Watch the birds sequence in Ishtar and if you don’t think it’s funny, you should probably see a doctor.October 13, 2014 at 5:08 pm #163348
I would agree with Farenheit 9/11 and The Blair Witch Project but the others…they deserved their wins.October 15, 2014 at 3:50 am #163349
Cher for Burlesque!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.