Home Forums Movies Toronto Film Festival 2013

Toronto Film Festival 2013

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s that time again!  Here’s the full line-up.

Full story at TheWrap.

Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

For the record, as the headline of the Wrap article says, this is not  the full line up. It is only the lineup so far They have released the names of about 160 of the 260 films they will play, so there are a lot more to come.

Curiously, with the Galas and Specials announced, it looks like there is a chance that Inside Llewyn Davis, Nebraska and other significant films will not play. If so, it won’t be because Toronto didn’t want them, but because the producers/distributors decided that the circus-like press atmosphere around the festival, with instant twitters about Oscar chances (looking at you Jeff Wells) have become counterproductive. (Both films might yet end up in the unannounced Masters section).  

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Another festival lineup that does not include FOXCATCHER.

Seeming more and more likely that Sony will wait until 2014 to release it. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Toronto is not showing a lot of major films – it seems to be a trend (too many films with Oscar interest, some being drowned out by bigger titles, better to show up later elsewhere).
    Foxcatcher though just seems like a film that isn’t done yet. I don’t take its non-appearance as any sign it won’t go this year. We just don’t know yet.

They added a handful of other categories – they basically have the very important Masters and interesting Discovery still to announce.   

ReplyCopy URL
    AroundU
    Topics:

Do T.V shows usually show up on the line-up?

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

High end cable from top directors show at festivals – Top of the Lake at Sundance, Beneath the Candelabra and others at Cannes, the new Agnieszka Holland miniseries from HBO at Toronto. Carlos played several festivals.

ReplyCopy URL
    AroundU
    Topics:

Interesting, I loved Top of the Lake! I noticed Southcliffe on there so was just wondering. Its on here in the UK atm, its brilliant.

Back to films, this list reminded me of a lot of films i’m looking forward to, Devils Knot and Parkland stand out.

Is this Eleanor Rigby His/Hers thing, one film or two films? It seems more logical having one film with the His/Her thing back to back. I know some people want Chastain to happen but i don’t see it with the 2 seperate parts.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

In a few years, most of Toronto and other major film fests will be substantially cable product. That’s where quality fillmaking is going (along with VOD), Oscars be damned (unless they change rules for qualifying).

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

The NYFF lineup is out (sorry, no link).

Its 35 main films include four prominent Cannes films NOT (at least as of now) in Toronto – Nebraska, All is Lost, The Immigrant and Inside Llewyn Davis

In past years all would have been automatically in Toronto (who likely was denied them). It is possible that all four will be in Telluride.

NY also has three other potential awards contenders premiering that are not in Toronto – Her, Secret Life of Walter Mitty and Saving Mr Banks

August Osage Co is NOT in NY (most likely Weinstein’s decision, although NY in the past has turned down major films that their committee just doesn’t care for).

It is possible that NY this year might, with far fewer films, have a higher # of Oscar nominations than Toronto.           

ReplyCopy URL
    Ethel Charles
    Topics:

I finally locked down my TIFF schedule after several frightful attempts. The website tossed me out after I made about 50% of my selections more than once. Have you ever heard an old lady curse and cry at the same time? It was heinous!

I’ll pop in from time to time to regale you with tales of glittering stars and cinema. Here’s what I’m seeing. 

Thurs Sept 5
    Blue is the Warmest Color (for my lesbian fix)

Fri Sept 6
    Hateship Loveship (for my Kristen fix)
    Twelve Years a Slave (for my Fassbender fix)
    Abuse of Weakness

Sat Sep 7
    The Past
    Enough Said
    Labor Day
    Mission Congo

Sun Sep 8
    Dallas Buyers Club
    Spike Jonze, in conversation
    Gravity

Mon Sep 9
    Devil’s Knot
    Night Moves (for my Kelly Reichardt fix)
    The Double
    Third Person

Tues Sep 10
    The Unknown Known
    Under the Skin
    Don Jon
    Bastards (for my Clare Denis fix)

Wed Sep 11
    Omar
    Stranger by the Lake (for my gay fix)

Thurs Sep 12
    The Railway Man
    A Touch of Sin

Fri Sep 13
    Prisoners
    The Dark Matter of Love

Sat Sep 14
    The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby (for my Chastain fix)
    Child of God
    Belle

Sun Sep 15
    Ida
    Attile Marcel
    The Last of the Unjust

What I’m not seeing is August: Osage County, blast! I’m a sliver patron and even at that level, it had sold out. Another patron & I were thinking that a big corporate buy meant the bourgeosie and homeless will mostly be excluded. Another opportunity to blow kisses at Streep dashed! 

From what I could tell based on requests, etc. biggest buzz films this year are Augst, 12 Years a Slave and Gravity. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Yay Ethel. And GoBlue? Will you guys be meeting up? Looking forward to feedback.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ethel Charles
    Topics:

Dearheart we are most certainly meeting up. We’re now TIFF BFFs. She’s staying at my newly renovated home. Seeing several flics together including Blue, Slave, Congo, Dalls Buyers Club, Gravity, etc. Should be a blast!

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Toasting you both!

ReplyCopy URL
    CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Damn, A:OC is sold out already?

I have a pretty good randomized time (early on the 28th) but am unsure if I’ll be able to screen any of these movies… For those with more TIFF experience, any chance of being able to watch:

Fifth Estate
    12 Years A Slave
    Gravity

Those are the three I’m the most hyped about… and I believe they all have more screenings than A:OC. I’m going to check out Labor Day and You Are Here (Matthew Weiner’s directorial debut!) as well… hopefully. 

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

Ethel, you’re so lucky….I am no where near Canada at the moment =[

Can one of you veterans answer a question or two? Can anyone just attend the festival or do you have to be an “industry professional”? and  how much is it and do you pay per movie?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
Reply To: Toronto Film Festival 2013

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.