Home Forums Movies Two French actresses who deserve Best Actress of 2016 Oscar nominations

Two French actresses who deserve Best Actress of 2016 Oscar nominations

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I have recently seen two performances by French actresses in French language films that absolutely deserve Oscar nominations this year: last year’s Cesar award winner Catherine Frot in Marguerite – similarly themed version of Florence Foster Jenkins, Frot is even better than Streep! It’s a dazzling performance! IDK whether it will be released widely enough for consideration, but she deserves a slot!

And I doubt there will be a better more mesmerizing performance this year than Isabelle Huppert’s work in Paul Verhoeven’s Elle. She is at her very best – which is saying a great deal from this always amazing actress! Again, IDK how well this film will be distributed but I am hoping the critics will help her by giving her deserved prizes for her mesmerizing one-of-a-kind performance in this taut psychological thriller. She always amazes me! (:

I’m sure there will be other great performances that will come out at the end of the year. Meryl Streep is the only actress who I think has delivered a performance that might get nominated (she will def. get a Golden Globe nomination for Florence Foster Jenkins). But these are two perfs that I do believe should be on the list of considered performances.

GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m 100% behind Huppert finally being nominated, but The Academy is too dumb to “get” this Verhoeven.

ReplyCopy URL
    clay bryce
    Participant
    Topics:

It doesn’t matter how brilliant Isabelle Huppert is in Elle. There is no way, in this day & age of Nate Parker, no way, that the Academy will embrace, in any way, a comedy about rape.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Paul Verhoeven is a director who will kick the audience in the teeth, sometimes without their realizing it, and then sit back and watch what happen$.
    I’ve long admired him, because his films go places which are challenging, and yet, commercially viable. Audiences either love, or detest his work. At least, most of the time.
    Mayonnaise and cheerios, he is not.
    I’m not so sure that Hollywood will EVER embrace him. But I’ll make sure I see this one asap.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Not to sound harsh and I do think Huppert is overdue, but French actresses AT LEAST are nominated sometimes by the Academy. What about other nations? It’s always American, British or French.

ReplyCopy URL
    jjjmoss
    Participant
    Topics:

I believe that in my lifetime we’ll have an East Asian Best Actress nominee for the first time.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s always American, British or French.

Let’s be fair: they also like aussies. And, sometimes, Canadians.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

It doesn’t matter how brilliant Isabelle Huppert is in Elle. There is no way, in this day & age of Nate Parker, no way, that the Academy will embrace, in any way, a comedy about rape.

The Academy as a whole may not embrace the film, but all Huppert would need for a nom is strong enough #1 passion votes from a certain number of members in the actors branch. So general queasiness around the subject matter and tone of the film may or may not be an issue for Huppert alone, although there are plenty of other reasons why she might not have a real shot. It’s possible the movie might just not be on the Oscar radar, but we’ll see.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Not to sound harsh and I do think Huppert is overdue, but French actresses AT LEAST are nominated sometimes by the Academy. What about other nations? It’s always American, British or French.

Stop it. White people then everyone else. That’s the protocol.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m 100% behind Huppert finally being nominated, but The Academy is too dumb to “get” this Verhoeven.

He’s not an obstacle for her receiving a nomination. Her character’s response to being a rape victim is where Academy reluctance will kick in.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

He’s not an obstacle for her receiving a nomination. Her character’s response to being a rape victim is where Academy reluctance will kick in.

Well, they aren’t just dumb, they’re also cowards.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.