Home Forums Movies Venice 2016

Venice 2016

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 87 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Following in the footsteps of Gravity, Birdman and, erm, Everest(…..), the opener for the 2016 Venice Film Festival has been revealed as….. LA LA LAND!

Chazelle’s latest will open the festival on August 31. The film will be in competition at the fest, which finishes on September 10.

FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

I was surprised when I found out it would be the opening film of the festival. I figured it’d be Nocturnal Animals for some reason. But it shows how strong La La Land might be as of right now. It is in competition.

ReplyCopy URL
    twenty
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not that excited about La La Land, mostly because its a musical. But Emma Stone-Ryan Gosling as couple would be delicious !!

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Plan of what’s on when, and what days we’ll get those first reactions!

31st August: La La Land (aka the day the Oscar race both begins and ends)

1st September: The Light Between Oceans
    1st September: Arrival

2nd September: Nocturnal Animals

4th September: Hacksaw Ridge

7th September: Jackie
    7th September: The Journey

10th September: The Magnificent Seven

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  AMG.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Volcarocka
    Participant
    Topics:

Rooting heavily for La La Land to do well. Early buzz is fantastic. Also hoping for success for Arrival and Nocturnal Animals (I’m a big Amy Adams fan)

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t have the time to do my usual snapshot of first reactions in detail.

But the reviews and first reactions I have seen for La La Land are falling in love with this film

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

This looks like Best Picture material to me based on the reactions I’m reading. The Artist of 2016?

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

This looks like Best Picture material to me based on the reactions I’m reading. The Artist of 2016?

Maybe. Hopefully it’s better than it. I recently watched Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench and it impressed me much more than Whiplash.

ReplyCopy URL
    Volcarocka
    Participant
    Topics:

La La Land is shooting to the front of the Oscar conversation while Light Between Oceans has fallen completely out. I honestly can’t wait to see this film, currently sitting at the top of my “most anticipated” list (when you’re beating out a Star Wars movie in my list, you know you’re good)

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

La La Land First Reactions

Peter Bradshaw: Wonderfully sweet, sad, smart – and Emma Stone has never been better

CineVue: the fizziness, most achingly romantic of movies. Chazelle does for musicals what Tarantino did for guns

Kate Muir: Loved Gosling & Stone in La La Land: heavenly and earthily comic musical

Nicholas Barber: Chazelle’s romantic tribute to old movies and jazz; La La Land is as sweet, sumptuous and colourful as an ice cream sundae

The Studio Exec: La La Land made me cry with joy. I’m in love with Gosling and Stone

Jason Solomons: I think La La Land might just be my new favourite movie. Utterly adorable, enchanting and so very cool

Robbie Collin: I’m honestly crying with happiness. That film no one makes any more? Damien Chazelle just made it.

Jessica Kiang: Unreservedly adored La La Land. A film of such unalloyed pleasures it might yet rescue 2016

David Ehrlich: La La Land is sensational. Jacques Demy for the digital age, Singin’ In The Rain for the gap between romance and reality. 1st shot = all timer.

Guy Lodge: So precious it’s *actually* precious: LA Valentine via Cherbourg and New York, New York. Iridescent design, tinderbox stars. We’re talking peak Gosling dreamboatiness here. Thank you, Mary Zophres.

Eric Kohn: It’s not on the same level as the great musicals that inspired it, but La La Land is pretty fun

ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Not that it’s always reliable, particularly when aggregating reviews from a festival premiere, but La La Land currently sits at 91 on Metacritic from 9 reviews.

For reference, Spotlight ended up at 93 from a total of 45 reviews.

I am thinking Picture, Stone and Chazelle are pretty safe for nominations at this point with Gosling looking strong depending on the makeup of the rest of his category. It would be a shame if he were left out once again while his co-star of a two-hander makes it in (i.e. Michelle Williams in Blue Valentine).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  jacob121.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Jalal Haddad
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m eager to hear what the reactions to Nocturnal Animals will be. I really liked Tom Ford’s first film and I am hoping Nocturnal Animals can be a big contender especially for actors like Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal.

ReplyCopy URL
    twenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Fingers Crossed for Nocturnal Animals. Amy and Jake for Volpi!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  twenty.
    ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

La La Land up to 92 from 11 critics – holding strong

Initial reactions to Arrival seem mixed/positive – currently at an 84 from 7 critics. Most reviews I have read do seem to single out Adams’ performance and the score, though, (plus some mentions for the cinematography) so those seem most likely for nominations if it gets in anywhere but honestly I am still not buying this as Adams Oscar vehicle after so many failed attempts. I think the movie would have had to be much better received on the whole to have a Gravity-like showing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Volcarocka
    Participant
    Topics:

From the reviews, it looks like Adams has a decent shot at a nomination, but likely won’t win with both Negga and Stone getting better reviews and La La Land being more well-recieved in general.

Then again, I’m waiting for Nocturnal Animals before I make the Adams call. If she’s good enough in that, she could be nominated for it with Arrival being the “behind-the-scenes” boost that Ex Machina gave Vikander last year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 87 total)
Reply To: Venice 2016

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.