Home Forums Movies Was Goldie Hawn's win in 1969 a surprise?

Was Goldie Hawn's win in 1969 a surprise?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
  • RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

She’s the only nominee not there.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

She’s the only nominee not there.

She was working. Unsure whether it was a play or a filmed production.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Hawn was filming There’s a Girl in My Soup in the U.K., opposite Peter Sellers.

As for that race, Burns (who should’ve won but was in an unpleasant film nearly no one saw) and Miles had no prayer. York’s film was showered in Oscar nominations but Gig Young really had all the thunder for the picture. So, you had Cannon and Hawn, the audience favorites. Cannon had the critics too, so you’d think she would’ve wound up with the edge, especially since Cactus Flower garnered no other nominations, but alas, it would be Hawn.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: 20 Years of Streep (1999) – Music of the Heart

ReplyCopy URL
    Jrx
    Participant
    Topics:

Wasn’t she kind of lead? Screetime wise…long time since I saw it, but no way did she deserve it Sylvia Miles I thought the best out of the nominees. My personal choice would have been Celia Johnson for ‘The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie’      

ReplyCopy URL
    Milk Money
    Participant
    Topics:

<p><br data-mce-bogus=”1″></p>

Wasn’t she kind of lead? Screetime wise…long time since I saw it, but no way did she deserve it Sylvia Miles I thought the best out of the nominees. My personal choice would have been Celia Johnson for ‘The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie’

You’re right, Goldie was basically a lead, but she did win the supporting Golden Globe. Dyan was the inaugural winner for BSA at the NYFCA for the hit film Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice. She might have edged out Goldie if it wasn’t for the fact that her ex Cary Grant was getting an honorary Oscar that year and so some voters might have felt funny about giving her a competitive win before him. Goldie later admitted that Dyan should have won.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Milk Money.
    • This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Milk Money.
    ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Pamela Franklin was really great in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie too.

Catherine Burns was really great. Funny I only saw it a few years ago but I have almost no memory of Dyan Cannon in Bob and Carol etc.

The Hawn role is big but for some reason it seems to always be classified as supporting. I just looked it up and Brenda Vaccaro originated the role on Broadway and her Tony nomination was for supporting (featured as they say) too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Yup, and Ingrid Bergman garnered a Lead campaign and Lauren Bacall (in the Broadway production) also would’ve been a Lead nominee, given the “above the title” rule.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: 20 Years of Streep (1999) – Music of the Heart

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Goldie won the Golden Globe for it so it was obviously not that big of a surprise. Even though the Golden Globes don’t matter when it comes to Oscar, it does show where the buzz was at the time.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Was Goldie Hawn's win in 1969 a surprise?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.