Home Forums Movies Was Judi Dench the frontrunner for Best Supporting Actress in 1998 or was she an Upset win?

Was Judi Dench the frontrunner for Best Supporting Actress in 1998 or was she an Upset win?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
seabel
Actriz
dude93
  • joesilver
    Participant
    Topics:

Dame Judi won the Oscar in 1998 for Best Supporting Actress. But was she a surprise win considering that Kathy Bates won the SAG and Lynn Redgrave won the Golden Globe?

Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

Make sure to spell her name Judi Dench.

It was a split year, Dench was seen as due from losing the year before in Mrs. Brown, and she was in a Best Picture frontrunner. On top of this, she did win the National Society of Film Critics prize.  

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

Yes she was. She was very well respected, came in 2nd place at NYC, won National Society of Film Critics, and was fresh off a BAFTA win. Not to mention Weinstein really conquered that year. Her win was obvious looking back.

Though god, that supporting lineup that year was absolute garbage. So many great overlooked performances from Lisa Kudrow (Opposite of Sex), Joan Allen (Pleasantville), and Thandie Newton (Beloved), yet they had to nominate Blethlyn and Griffiths for their awful films? God that whole year was a wasted bust.

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t imagine her win was a huge surprise though it seemed like there were valid reasons to predict both Bates and Redgrave.

My personal winner is Bates. And Kudrow and Newton should have been nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

God that whole year was a wasted bust.

Right?

It still pisses me off that the best film of the year by far (The Truman Show) hardly received any recognition.

ReplyCopy URL
    montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a vivid memory of this race.

I remember I was on a huge Kathy Bates kick that year after Titanic.  Primary Colors came out really early in 1998 (March?) and when I saw it I knew Bates was going to be a huge threat to win the Oscar the following year.

Than Redgrave won the Globe in a surprise and it looked like she may have momentum.  Than Bates won the SAG and I thought she would go onto win the Oscar.

But than I remember reading Entertainment Weekly the week before the Oscars and they predicted Dench to win.  I thought it was weird seeing she didn’t win the Globe or SAG and was barely in Shakespeare in love.  But the feeling she was robbed the previous year for Mrs. Brown along with the Weinstein Miramax Shakespeare in Love machine trumped the fact the Globes and SAG passed her over. Bates already having an Oscar also probably made it easy to give it to Dench.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ghost
    Topics:

I’m pretty surprised Jeff Bridges wasn’t nominated for Actor that year, The Dude is his best character to date and it’s a Coen Brothers film. Hell I’m surprised The Big Lebowski didn’t even get into Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

I’d kill to see ‘upsets’ like that nowadays.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Jim Carey was the person who missed the BA nomination that year, shocking everyone since he won the Drama Globe.  In hindsight, with The Big Lebowski’s rise as a cult classic, Bridges might make sense, but certainly not then.

The last acting category “upset” was probably Meryl Streep for Iron Lady.  Almost every one of the Gold Derby experts had Viola Davis.  It might not seem like an upset, but it was a break from SAG and Streep hadn’t won in nearly 30 years. 

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

^ I don’t agree with that. I found it completely absurd that everyone was predicting Davis. But let’s not drag that one up again. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

It seems like the Experts are almost always united for the acting races.  Very very few people break from group think when it comes to predictions…and if they do, it’s rare it’s in the top categories.  If you count them being wrong as an upset, then that race was certainly it.  The overwhelming consensus was Davis, though there were a few voices for Meryl.

ReplyCopy URL
    bondzzz
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it was a split year for that category, just like when Tilda Swinton won. I wouldn’t call it a surprise though, just that it was a very tight race.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Those “experts” were just trying to make it happen.
    It was Meryl’s first Bafta in 30 years, and her first Globe for which she actually faced/beat her main Oscar competitor in 29 years. 

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I remember her as the favorite going into the ceremony.

You have to remember SAG awards were only a few years old and not particularly high profile at the time and Golden Globes were only just beginning their journey back to respectability after years of being only broadcast on TBS. After the close call the year before (and Helen Hunt almost admitting in her speech that Dench deserved her award….Dench seemed due.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pretty surprised Jeff Bridges wasn’t nominated for Actor that year, The Dude is his best character to date and it’s a Coen Brothers film. Hell I’m surprised The Big Lebowski didn’t even get into Screenplay

Bridges wasn’t even nominated for a Globe in the Comedy category.  But it should come as no surprise–that film had absolutely no impact at the time and (like Austin Powers or Office Space) earned most of its following after its theatrical run.  I would’ve gladly see him win over Benigni though *shudder*. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Was Judi Dench the frontrunner for Best Supporting Actress in 1998 or was she an Upset win?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.