Home Forums Movies Was Meg Ryan Oscar-worthy in 1994’s “When a Man Loves a Woman?”

Was Meg Ryan Oscar-worthy in 1994’s “When a Man Loves a Woman?”

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Tariq Khan
    Participant
    Topics:

Please see my recent
    blog item about my early (and obviously very wrong) Oscar prediction for Meg
    Ryan in “When a Man Loves a Woman,” which I had made at this point
    back in 1994.

http://www.goldderby.com/news/7497/meg-ryan-oscars-academy-awards-news-rosamund-pike-gone-girl-movies-entertainment-13579086-story.html

If you’ve seen the
    film, do you think that Ryan deserved a slot that went to one of the following
    Best Actress nominees? (And if so, do you think that Ryan might have deserved
    to win?)

Jodie Foster in
    “Nell”

Jessica Lange in
    “Blue Sky”

Miranda Richardson in
    “Tom and Viv”

Winona Ryder in
    “Little Women”

Susan Sarandon in
    “The Client”

I still can’t believe
    that Ryan was left out while Sarandon made it in. (Nothing against Sarandon, I
    just didn’t think her role in “The Client” was strong enough to
    warrant a nomination.)

Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s the worst lineup in Academy history so whether she deserves it or not she wouldn’t have been out of place.

Sarandon’s nom was just weird.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s a really poor line-up. As usual with poor line-ups it didn’t have to be so weak. Jamie Curtis (True Lies), Kate Winslet (Heavenly Creatures), Linda Fiorentino (The Last Seduction) and Madeleine Stowe (Blink) all stand out to me more than any of the nominees. Ryan however does not. The movie is just too weepy and generic, and Ryan doesn’t rise above the material enough to deserve consideration.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

There have been worse nominations….particularly when looking at this lineup.

She wouldn’t make my personal list but the previously mentioned Kate Winslet, Jamie Lee Curtis, Linda Fiorentino (who I think would’ve made it in if not for the HBO ordeal), Madeline Stowe, along with Jennifer Jason Leigh (Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle) and Sigourney Weaver (Death and the Maiden) would have all been better nominees. I am almost surprised they didn’t name-check Meryl Streep for The River Wild that year.

The Susan Sarandon nomination was easily one of the more baffling in many years. The only way I can justify it is the lack of contenders (or should I say lack of worthy people whom the awards committees seemed to nominate) and her name value and then somewhat overdue status…..but the most baffling thing of all: she WON the BAFTA. I still think that is absolutely insane.

My personal nominee list:

Jamie Lee Curtis, True Lies

Linda Fiorentino, The Last Seduction

Jennifer Lason Leigh, Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Cricle

Miranda Richardson, Tom & Viv

Kate Winslet, Heavenly Creatures

(Curtis could also potentially go Supporting, which I think could have been her mortal flaw since she won the Globe in Lead but was nominated in Supporting in SAG. If I place her in Supporting, then I would debate giving that last slot to Weaver or Stowe)

ReplyCopy URL
    zordon
    Participant
    Topics:

I really liked Ryan’s performance, but I agree that WaMLaW was probably too generic (and little Tina Majorino was the MVP of the movie to me, what a mature performance that was!).
    And I agree that it was one of the worst line-ups in the history, although I loved Sarandon’s performance in “The Client” (strong, smart, maternal lawyer with complicated past, come on!). Richardson also deserved her spot, Foster killed it in Nell, but this movie was just awful (too bad Stowe from another Apted’s movie was completely ignored that season). And IMO Ryder was the most surprising nominee (but she did a good job in “Little Women”).
    Overall, nominees were decent, but there was no standout that year (lucky Jessica Lange who won with her forgettable movie). Too bad that even in such a weak year Academy couldn’t find room for Jennifer Jason Leigh (on fire in the mid 90s), Jamie Lee Curtis (one of the funniest performances I’ve seen, but the movie wasn’t “oscary” at all and there was category confusion) or Irene Jacob (mesmerizing in “Red”).

ReplyCopy URL
    VanHeflin
    Topics:

There was a lot of backlash agaionst Jamie Lee Curtis. People thought the whole dance sequence was degrading and explotive to women. The Adcademy wouldn’t touch the controversy. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Why are we keep bashing Sarandon in “The Client”. She was strong, complex and real in a brilliant movie. Her performance and the movie is soooooo underrated among Oscar fans.

But I agree about Curtis. It’s a shame that she’s not an Oscar nominee for True Lies and Freaky Friday. Maybe for some other movies too.

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree that 1994 is one of the all-time weakest lineups..
    Having said that, MEG RYAN   and her film were both
    very ordinary and TV movie -ish to be worthy of any nominations.
    As a matter of fact, Meg Ryan, IMO, has never been worthy
    of any oscar consideration in any of her films…as a Golden Globe
    comedy perrenial, shes hit her niche…

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I like that lineup but I am not sure about Ryan being Oscar worthy to be honest. It was the role that showed she was more than the rom com queen but she never really capitalizied on that momentum in my opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

As I recall, Susan Sarandon was a serious contender for Best Actress this year, despite her vehicle being a John Grisham-potboiler.

She has done stellar work opposite fellow nominee Ryder in Little Women.

She was considered overdue for the failure to be recognized with an Oscar for Thelma and Louise.

And her performance as Reggie Love was considered particularly outstanding because she was paired with a rookie adolescent from rural Tennessee, the late Brad Renfro. She developed a strong rapport with him that enhanced his work and showcased her acting chops.

I think it was this last consideration that most hurt Meg Ryan’s chances as the alcoholic Alice Green. She has never been a strong dramatic actress (In the Cut – ugh!), but Ryan was simply overwhelmed by the young girl Tina Majorino who played her daughter. Ryan’s inability to establish an equal footing with the child actress only enhanced Sarandon’s achievement in a similar situation.

ReplyCopy URL
    Indonesian
    Topics:

one of the worst lineups in oscar history indeed, and no wonder Jessica Lange won it

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.