Home Forums Movies WGA’s 101 Funniest Screenplays

WGA’s 101 Funniest Screenplays

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • 24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

WGA recently revealed their 101 funniest screenplays — http://www.wga.org/content/default.aspx?id=5949

Great list? What was snubbed?

ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Great list! I do have to wonder about how low those Chaplin entries are. Those are some of the best comedies ever. I know some of my personal favourites, like Thank You For Smoking, Network, A Christmas Story or The Gods Must Be Crazy aren’t on it, but I would hardly consider it a snub, because of everything I’ve seen (at least 80 of them, but didn’t count exactly) I can’t say I disagree with many of their choices. I especially like the top 10, because the only one I feel doesn’t really belong there is Animal House (I know people love it, but it did nothing for me). I’m also used to it being ignored, but with all the Woody Allen love, I wish someone would recognize my favourite of all his movies, The Purple Rose of Cairo. Maybe another time…

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Fine list. Most of these are not funny, though.

ReplyCopy URL
    ConMan
    Participant
    Topics:

…No animated films on the list.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Terrific list! My favorite comedies of all time are on this list….Strangelove, Galaxy Quest, Being There…I’m mentioning Bowfinger. No WGA nod, but one of my favorites….

Kudos to the win for Annie Hall.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Wouldn’t say Annie Hall is the FUNNIEST but it is excellently written, Glad Mel Brooks popped up multiple times and that Mean Girls is in there. Just wish Easy A would be included 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Yeah, totally! Easy A is such a snub! And I do think that Spy should also be included!

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Annie Hall was to quote Stanley Kubrick’s opinion of Spielberg’s1941, “great, but not funny.” Annie Hall was a very interesting film, but not FUNNIER in a general or more historically significant sense than Mean Girls, which I think should have been #1 due to it having been THE #1 FUNNIEST MOVIE EVER WRITTEN! “Is butter a carb?” People still quote it to this day, and it’s satire about hierarchies / the pecking order is universal, and can be used from any number of settings, from politics, to any social environment. Mean Girls is a masterful study of humans and human nature while also coincidently serving as the greatest teen comedy ever made, and as stated above, THE #1 FUNNIEST MOVIE EVER WRITTEN!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

Great list-

But they left off A League of Their Own (1992)- that has to be one of the funniest scripts ever. “No Crying in Baseball” line aside, what about the others like “By the way, I loved you in The Wizard of Oz” and “What would you suggest?”— “A lot of night games”. LOL!

Also missing-

Addams Family Values (1993)
    National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)

Unless I blinked and missed them.

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

If the WGA wasn’t going to go with Mean Girls as the funnies movie ever made, why not Hot Fuzz? It’s easily the best of the “cornetto trilogy” from Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg, and it’s so packed with detail in every frame of it…… I mean Shaun of the Dead was a GOOD movie, but nowhere near as cleverly and unpredictably plotted as Hot Fuzz! 🙁 And no offense to the South Park movie, which was really funny, but was it REALLY FUNNIER than The Simpsons Movie, as far as adaptations of animated TV Shows go? I saw South Park BLUaU once and thought it was nice to see them say the F-word, and make fun of the MPAA’s ridiculous standards on what they think is and isn’t acceptable for audiences. With that said I saw The Simpsons Movie 3 TIMES IN THEATERS and each time I watch it I notice another detail I hadn’t noticed before. Albert Brooks as Russ Cargill, to Green Day playing as if they were on the Titanic at the end of their cameo, to the genuinely heartbreaking stuff dealing w/ Homer and Marge’s relationship and all that she puts up with, to FREAKING SPIDER-PIG, no wait, HARRY PLOPPER!!! The Simpsons Movie is a perfect movie with not a wasted second in it’s 89-minute running time. The Simpsons Movie, Hot Fuzz, and Mean Girls. I think if you asked most people today on a general level, they will agree that those 3 movies are, AT LEAST, “FUNNIER” than Annie Hall, which shouldn’t have won the Best Picture Oscar either! Best Picture should have gone to Star Wars, it was plenty obvious in ’77, and its just as OBVIOUS today.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

…No animated films on the list.

What about the South Park movie?

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Wow! nice info you have shared.. I would tell this to other also.

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

The fact that Bridesmaids is not only higher than Mean Girls, but higher than it by like 60 places is cracked out.  

Bridesmaids had some very, very funny moments, but the structure and plot are a total mess and it felt like many of the scenes were the director turning the camera on, saying, “Do some improv,” and then letting that improv go on for about two minutes too long.  There have been some truly remarkable comedies over the past 15 years, and I can’t believe THAT is that only one of this new century that’s represented in the top 20. 

ReplyCopy URL
    LegendOfMatt
    Participant
    Topics:

Best in Show should be higher. Happy about Groundhog Day though! I’ve always said that’s my favorite comedy.

If this list were made a few years down the road, I could definitely see Trainwreck getting in. That movie was hilarious.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: WGA’s 101 Funniest Screenplays

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.