Home Forums Movies what have we learned from 2017 Oscars?

what have we learned from 2017 Oscars?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
Riley
Moviebuff22
Paul Hardister
  • KaRol
    Participant
    Topics:

are there any statistics we should rethink or take into consideration.

i will definitely know 2 things now:
    1. never underestimate a movie that won MPSE for sound effects and foley & dialogue and ADR.it’s your winner for editing and sound mixing (if nominated);
    2. if there is no clear frontrunner in a category (the main contenders have many cons), always pick the most respected nominee to win.

what else?
    do not underestimate the power of SAG ensemble nom? ISA win for best feature?

PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

1. never underestimate a movie that won MPSE for sound effects and foley & dialogue and ADR.it’s your winner for editing and sound mixing (if nominated)

Uh….Arrival won sound editing and it definitely lost the MPSE and Hacksaw was definitely nominated in Sound Editing as well…..

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

That you can’t have an old person presenting an Oscar with another old person who tinks the first old person is just being old, blind, funny, confused and again, typical old grandpa, taking too long for the last award of the night pressuring him into doing his one job, not letting him get things clear when he’s obviously confused because something is apparently wrong.

We also learned that once a category is announced and checked by the accountants, the other duplicate envelope on the other side of the stage needs to be destroyed, at least ripped a little…or at least get it back in the fucking suitcase and only leave the remaining categories outside on the table.

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

The death of stats that we awards nerds were dependent on. It started with Birdman being able to win w/o an editing nomination and it hasn’t stopped since. It’s a development for the better.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

That if you win SAG only, people will refuse to believe that it’s a fluke until Oscar Night.

Which I don’t get. 5/17 years the last 17 years they guessed all 4/4 acting awards correctly. Yet people were clinging on the fact that Best actor hasn’t been wrong in 12 years and swore up and down Mahershala and Emma were going to win. Look at it collectively and you wouldn’t be surprised.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

This year confirmed for good to not bet against the anointed young hot thing especially when she has GG, SAG and BAFTA.

ReplyCopy URL
    jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

That the industry has unwittingly disgraced Faye Dunaway once again

ReplyCopy URL
    Brennan Merone
    Participant
    Topics:

A SAG Ensemble nom is a must.

ReplyCopy URL
    Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

That win a guy wins literally all the critics awards he’s probably the best performance and going to win.

With the preferential ballot, most best picture winners are going to be “important” from now on ala Spotlight and Moonlight. Films like The Revenant and LLL that are made purely for entertainment won’t win as much when the academy is political and wants to send a message

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m never going to win my Oscar pool despite having the reputation as being the best predictor among my peers. Everyone around me hypes me up because I’m the only one who does any research but I still always lose.

ReplyCopy URL
    KaRol
    Participant
    Topics:

1. never underestimate a movie that won MPSE for sound effects and foley & dialogue and ADR.it’s your winner for editing and sound mixing (if nominated)

Uh….Arrival won sound editing and it definitely lost the MPSE and Hacksaw was definitely nominated in Sound Editing as well…..

i meant sound mixing & editing. not sound editing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

You can’t win Best Picture without an Ensemble nod.

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

Despite people saying a lead actor can’t win both Indie Spirit and the Oscar, they can.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

That SAG ensemble nom is a great deal and people should stop undermining it with lame excuses.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Preference vote = passion vote. Live it, learn it, love it. Expect this to be a deciding factor in BP moving forward.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
Reply To: what have we learned from 2017 Oscars?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.