Home Forums Movies What If The Golden Globes Had Been Televised in 2008?

What If The Golden Globes Had Been Televised in 2008?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I  remember watching the very odd Golden Globes conference  on my old TV 8 years ago. There were some shocking results such as Cotillard beating Page for Best Actress In A Motion Picture Musical Or Comedy and Julian Schnabel winning Best Director over the Coens.  I’m wondering if the race could have been changed in any way if the awards had been televised. I think that if we had seen Cotillard winning the Globe and giving an undoubtedly glowing acceptance speech, people would have seen more of the two way race between her and Christie. Christie still was an easy winner for most people even after  Cotillard’s BAFTA victory.  I think it also could have helped Blanchett a little, I guess, althouugh I don’t think she would have ended up winning.  What do you think?  What did you guys think of the lame conference that year, lol? 

tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d as soon forget that mess happened.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d as soon forget that mess happened.

Okay, lol  

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree Joe- I think Cotillard’s speech and presence would have def made people wake up and realize this was a performance that was competitive, especially given her strong surge earlier with critic awards and word of mouth. 

The director win is even more crazy- I forgot all about that.

Speeches and energy in a room certainly can change the dynamics of a race. Just look at the love Stallone got at the Globes. That signifies true passion, something we might not have understood had we just seen the winners mentioned on a list of paper. 

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, exactly.  Cotillard was largely dismissed due to it being a foreign language performance. 

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I liked the way it worked out. Cotillard got to maker her first big speech on the Oscar telecast. Her enthusiasm and happiness probably gave her career a bigger boost than the actual award. (well sort of) She was just so likable and charismatic. I bet a lot of people wanted to work with her after that.

She has done the best job in film history IMO of learning to act in another language. Most people struggle (see Penelope Cruz) but Cotillard can be totally believable as an American.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t mind  the way it worked out either and I’m glad Cotillard won. What a performance, WOW.  She is really one of the greats.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree Joe- I think Cotillard’s speech and presence would have def made people wake up and realize this was a performance that was competitive, especially given her strong surge earlier with critic awards and word of mouth. 

Speeches and energy in a room certainly can change the dynamics of a race. Just look at the love Stallone got at the Globes. That signifies true passion, something we might not have understood had we just seen the winners mentioned on a list of paper. 

What strong surge with critics’ awards are you talking about??
    Marion Cotllard won five critcs’ awards, one of which was a major one – LAFCA.
    For comparison, Julie Christie nearly swept the critcs with 19 awards. And I don’t count her NBR win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Jason_Travis”]

What strong surge with critics’ awards are you talking about??
    Marion Cotllard won five critcs’ awards, one of which was a major one – LAFCA.
    For comparison, Julie Christie nearly swept the critcs with 19 awards. And I don’t count her NBR win.

[/quote]

This is why I sometimes loathe posting commentary on here. You’re nitpicking what I said. I was praising Cotillard’s win at the Globes. And yes, she also won critic awards. So did Julie Chrisitie. Stop playing teacher and analyzing every little thing I write and blowing it way out of proportion. Seriously, it’s like typing on eggshells with some people lol. 

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Tonbone
    Participant
    Topics:

If it was televised we would have seen:
    Jon Hamm give a speech
    Matt Weiner speak when Mad Men won
    David Duchnovy give a speech for his 2nd globe win
    Tina Fey give her first of two Golden Globes acceptance speeches
    Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant give a speech for EXTRAS which would have been super funny
    Glenn Close give a great speech for Damages
    Jeremy Piven give a Globes speech
    etc etc  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: What If The Golden Globes Had Been Televised in 2008?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.