Home Forums Movies What mainstream/ Sci-Fi films could be 2017 Oscar contenders?

What mainstream/ Sci-Fi films could be 2017 Oscar contenders?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

I listed the 5 mainstream/ scifi films that I hope can get Oscar recognition this year. I might have missed some though.

Jungle book- In my opinion, this is the best movie of the year and I hope it can get more than special effects, and hopefully even a best picture nom

Zootopia- another amazing Disney movie that I hope could be the fourth animated movie to get a best picture nom

10 Cloverfield Lane- maybe not best picture, but performances and screenplay would be great

Passengers- sci Fi, Mortem Tildum, Jennifer Lawrence= at least a contender

Arrivial – the trailer looked good so hopefully it can pull to the Oscars

Anonymous
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    Hubert_K
    Participant
    Topics:

Only Arrival has a chance for BP nod, Passengers could get some tech noms though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually think The Jungle Book will get completely shut out, I honestly don’t even think it will get in for Visual Effects.

Passengers seems likely, and I will reserve judgement on Arrival until I see it, since Denis Villeneuve is so frustratingly hit-and-miss with his movies.

Should John Goodman and Mary Elizabeth Winstead be nominated for 10 Cloverfield Lane? Yes! But will they be snubbed? Once again, sadly YES. 🙁

I think Zootopia will get in for Animated Feature as its only nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I mostly agree with you but I am pretty sure jungle book will at least get a special effects nomination and Zootopia well at least get a best animated picture nomination and the best original song nom for the shakira song

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

None. After the screwjob the Academy dropped on SW: The Force Awakens, no chance for any sci-fi movie as long as the current biased membership is in place.

ReplyCopy URL
    Volcarocka
    Participant
    Topics:

Star Wars was my personal favorite movie of last year but it wasn’t one of the best of last year. (my personal motto is “not every good movie needs an Oscar). That “biased membership” also embraced the likes of Gravity and Mad Max.

Personally, I think Arrival is the only one this year with major awards potential, but Passengers could pull a fast one on me, especially with Jennifer Lawrence in the lead.

ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Morten Tyldum’s last movie got eight Oscar nominations and Passengers looks like a stylish sci-fi romance/adventure starring the two of the most popular actors in the world – not sure why many seem to be dismissing its chances….

To be fair, The Imitation Game played much more strongly to the Academy’s traditional tastes and its not as if its visionary direction was what pushed it over the top but I’m keeping Passengers in my top 10 for now.

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see much in the realm of sci-fi getting into the Oscar race this year other than tech noms. Last year had such a focus on films like Mad Max and Star Wars, that I think the Academy will “take a year off” from giving them such support.

Not sure why there is such Oscar buzz for Arrival, but if a cinematic achievement like Interstellar couldn’t get noms above the line, then I don’t see this film doing such.

As for Passengers, I’ll definitely need to see a preview before I can form an opinion.

I’d support The Jungle Book for any award because it was definitely a well made film and very entertaining.

ReplyCopy URL
    FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Zootopia could be a BP contender if Disney plays up the “It’s an important film” narrative. It does capture the state of prejudice going on in our country today. Also, it has the reviews and the box office to back it up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emil Petrov
    Participant
    Topics:

Arrival just debuted to rave reviews at the Venice Film Festival. If it has momentum it is possible to get the ”Martian” type of nomination.

The Jungle Book has no chance at BP nominations. The movie will be more like Interstellar. Good reviews, Good Boxoffice and 4-5 nominations (Visual Effects – a win and nominations in maybe Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Production Design and Score).

Zootopia is my favorite to win Animated Feature, but it will be very hard to get the BP nomination.

10 Cloverfield Lane – impossible to get any nomination.

Passengers – I must see a trailer before I can give opinion.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Emil Petrov.
    ReplyCopy URL
    kaziz
    Participant
    Topics:

Arrival, for sure, but apart from that the only real contender I see is the oft-overlooked Midnight Special which opened earlier this year to pretty good reviews overall. Probably won’t make it to Best Picture but it’s performances—Kirsten Dunst and Michael Shannon in particular—may very well make be great contenders for their highly-praised performances

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.