Who had the most shocking loss at the Oscars since 2000?

Home // Forums // Movies // Who had the most shocking loss at the Oscars since 2000?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • joesilver
    Participant
    Topics:

IMO it has to be Eddie Murphy for Dreamgirls after winning the GG, SAG and Critics Choice.

FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

I would say Crash winning Best Picture. Even Jack Nicholson was stunned when he opened the envelope.  

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

I contend the honor goes to Marcia Gay Harden, Best Supporting Actress for Pollack. With only one precursor, the NYFCC honor, Harden went to Oscar night perceived as an also ran. Golden girl Kate Hudson was seated with her mother Oscar winner Goldie Hawn. The TV director cut to the two repeatedly. Everything pointed to the mother daughter celebration. Everything but the envelope.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going to go with It’s Hard out here to be a Pimp winning. I can’t believe the academy actually picked it.

ReplyCopy URL
    GraemeONeil
    Participant
    Topics:

I contend the honor goes to Marcia Gay Harden, Best Supporting Actress for Pollack. With only one precursor, the NYFCC honor, Harden went to Oscar night perceived as an also ran. Golden girl Kate Hudson was seated with her mother Oscar winner Goldie Hawn. The TV director cut to the two repeatedly. Everything pointed to the mother daughter celebration. Everything but the envelope.

I actually predicted Marcia Gay Harden would win. I remember I saw Pollock like a night or two before the Oscars, and thinking “THAT’S an Oscar winning performance”. 

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow, I’m gonna go with The Shock of People Not Reading the Title of the Thread.

Kate Hudson certainly qualifies. The build up was just too much. Everything was pointing in that direction. Even the four men who loss to Adrien Brody would say “Kate Hudson”.

For me is not “who” but “what” and that would be still be, after all these years, after all these threads, Transformers losing Best Visual Effects. I don’t even know how that happened. 

Even Kate Hudson and Brokeback losing had to be predicted by someone and both losses make sense, but to me that VFX category just had to go Transformers and nothing else. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Shadi
    Topics:

I would say Fincher losing Best Director to Tom Hooper. I was horrified. 

Ditto at Kate Hudson’s loss, she had all the momentum one could build.  

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, I dont know how “shocking” some of these were but here we go:

Gladiator wins VX over Hollow Man and The Perfect Storm.

Anyone mention Adrien Brody’s win? It makes more sense in retrospect. And then there’s Polanski.

Eminem’s win.  So we have Rap and Hip-Hop as Oscar winners, those times when Oscar appears to have a collectively open mind….

The Polar Express being blanked in both Sound Categories.

Crash winning the Editing Oscar. Once that happened, the rest wasnt such a surprise…..

You could see Arkin building momentum at the 11th hour. He was still a marginal surprise.

The Bourne Ultimatum winning Film Editing, and won both Sound Oscars.  I predicted this that year mostly because of the perceived attitudes towards Transformers. Btw Kevin O’Connell, Scott Farrar and their teams are incredibly good, which made Ultimatum winning even more surprising.

Ok I’ll mention Juno (again) as that Screenplay win solidified the Academy’s “tastes” as sheeple-ee shockingly bad. Jmho; and, “first off”.

Departures winning FLF over The Class, and Waltz With Bashir.

Precious winning the Screenplay Oscar over Up in the Air. Uh-huh.

Nolan’s Director snub for Inception. Easier to understand looking back, but it still pisses me off.

Dogtooth’s inclusion for FLF. Kudos to the Academy once again.

Btw I laughed my head off when King’s Speech won PGA. Laughed long, and laughed hard.

Robert Richardson’s Cinematography win for Hugo was somewhat of a surprise, but deserved.

Argo’s win wasnt so surprising, given it’s very late surge. See, “Juno”

Tom Hank’s egregious omission for Captain Phillips. I know whom I would have dropped to make room for him…

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmys2011
    Participant
    Topics:

^
    I´d say that´s the most baffling, but not surprising, as we already (dreadfully) expected Hoopers win by oscar night, having seen him and The Kings Speech rise up with producers and directors guild wins, as well as sag ensemble (sometimes meant to be their best picture equivalent).

ReplyCopy URL
    Tonbone
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t see the movie and I am pissed they snubbed Tom Hanks, did they really have to nominate all the stars of “American Hustle” insread of a legend? 

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going to go with It’s Hard out here to be a Pimp winning. I can’t believe the academy actually picked it.

It was infectious. And since they embraced the movie in the Best Actor category the victory for Best Original Song was not much of a stretch.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I knew Viola Davis would lose the moment The Iron Lady won for Best Makeup. However I have never seen Meryl Streep win an Oscar in my lifetime. Hence I could not prepare myself for the mixture of emotions I felt when she did at the expensive of Viola Davis and Glenn Close.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree that the most shocking loss in terms of the award clearly not going to the best is Fincher losing Best Director to………Tom Hooper. 

There is no comparison between the direction of those films, Fincher completely outclassed Hooper.

I heard a film journalist a couple of years ago talking about their biggest Oscar upsets in the Best Picture race, and went from Citizen Kane’s loss to The Social Network losing. She said it was time for The Academy to embrace the ‘Citizen Kane for the 21st Century (in terms of the topic of the film, the newspaper business is swapped for the internet). I cannot help but fully agree.

The Academy went for the safe, historical biopic, instead of the modern, slick drama. This is the most shocking loss since 2000, for the sake of the future of film. It’s time The Academy rewarded something fresher, more exciting and different. I hoped this would have been the turning point, boy was I wrong. 

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Crash winning the Editing Oscar. Once that happened, the rest wasnt such a surprise…..

Once Oprah Winfrey devoted the majority of the hour on her show’s “Who I am voting for,” arguing her support of Crash, the BP loss for the much deserving Brokeback Mountain felt inevitable.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”babypook”]

Once Oprah Winfrey devoted the majority of the hour on her show’s “Who I am voting for,” arguing her support of Crash, the BP loss for the much deserving Brokeback Mountain felt inevitable.[/quote]

People have told me that Oprah was the leader of the “Great Unwashed”. I’m not even sure what that truly means, but it sounds about right. Lol.

Then there was the late Ernest Borgnine and Tony Curtis, who took most of the media attention from the mostly silent others they represented.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
Reply To: Who had the most shocking loss at the Oscars since 2000?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.