Who was closer to get a Best Actor nomination in 1994?

Home // Forums // Movies // Who was closer to get a Best Actor nomination in 1994?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • joesilver
    Participant
    Topics:

1994 was a
    great year for movies. The competition was really strong in the Best Actor
    category with many great performances. The 5 nominees were Tom Hanks (Forrest
    Gump), Morgan Freeman (The Shawshank Redemption), Nigel Hawthorne (The Madness
    of King George), Paul Newman (Nobody’s Fool) and John Travolta (Pulp Fiction).

Who do you
    think was closer to get a Best Actor Nomination that year?

Hugh
    Grant, Four Weddings and a Funeral

Brad
    Pitt, Legends of the Fall

Tim
    Robbins, The Shawshank Redemption

Johnny
    Depp, Ed Wood

Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Hugh Grant definitely. It was a shock when he wasn’t nommed. After his Golden Globe win and charming speech he was thought to be safe.

I don’t remember the others being in the conversation.

ReplyCopy URL
    BamaEd
    Participant
    Topics:

Replace Brad Pitt with Ralph Fiennes. Out of those, I’d say Robbins first, followed by Fiennes, Grant, then Depp. The curse of the comedies.

ReplyCopy URL
    drenja
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that it was Robbins and im surprised that he wasnt nominated, he was also snubbed for The Player 2 years earlier.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Two decades later, The Shawshank Redemption director Frank Darabont said the less than enthusiastic review appearing in the influencial LA Times hurt. Its one sentence dismissal of Tim Robbins may be what cost the Oscar winner to be an Oscar nomination, despite a Best Actor nod for Morgan Freeman as well as a Best Picture nomination.

In his review Kenneth Turan summed up his lukewarm response to the lead performance as convicted killer Andy Dufresne, “Though Tim Robbins always seems to be playing a part, he is good at it . . . “

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not convinced the LA Times review had much to do with Robbins missing out. It’s quite easy to see why it happened when you break it down; Hanks, Newman and Travolta were automatically in, Nigel Hawthorne had major passion despite missing a SAG nom, and then Freeman was obviously the stronger of the two Shawshank men.

I suspect either Robbins or Grant were sixth in line for the nom: Robbins had the SAG nom, but Grant had Globe and BAFTA wins. At the nomination stage the former achievement probably carried more weight. I wish Johnny Depp had been more in the conversation at the time though; I don’t think I’ve ever seen him better than as Ed Wood.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Who was closer to get a Best Actor nomination in 1994?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.