Home Forums Movies Who would be nominated at Oscars for Best Voice-Over Performance (2014)?

Who would be nominated at Oscars for Best Voice-Over Performance (2014)?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
Tye-Grr
Tyler The Awe..
ETPhoneHome
  • Marcus Dixon
    Keymaster
    Topics:

If the Oscars had a category for Best Voice-Over Performance — which they tragically don’t — who would be nominated this year? This can be anything from animated voices to narrators. Give us your faves from 2014 below!

Tye-Grr
    Topics:

First of all, great thread idea Marcus!  

There were some definite highlights this year, so assuming that this category would just be an overall ala the Emmys (i.e.- no lead, supporting, or narration vs character voice work), I would nominate the following (so far):

Chris Pratt as Emmet, ‘The Lego Movie’ 
    Will Arnett as Batman, ‘The Lego Movie’
    Will Ferrell as Lord/President Business, ‘The Lego Movie’ 
    Cate Blanchett as Valka, ‘How To Train Your Dragon 2’
    Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon, ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ (winner)

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Andy Serkis would be the reigning king of such a category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kristen Boyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Does this count for motion capture? then Benedict Cumberbatch for The Hobbit and Andy Serkis for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Who I would like see nominated from what I’ve seen.

• Scott Adsit – Big Hero 6
    • Jay Baruchel – How To Train Your Dragon 2
    • Cate Blanchett – How To Train Your Dragon 2
    • Gerard Butler – How To Train Your Dragon 2
    • Benedict Cumberbatch – The Penguins of Madagascar
    • Will Ferrell – The LEGO Movie
    • Morgan Freeman – The LEGO Movie
    • Ben Kingsley – The Boxtrolls 

If there were only five nominees, I would pick…

Baruchel
    Blanchett
    Butler
    Ferrell
    Kingsley 

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

A lot of ones so far are great, but I would also like to add Bill Irwin as TARS in Interstellar. While it doesn’t hold a candle to HAL in 2001, he still brought a good deal of depth to what could have been a throwaway character. Also, if he didn’t appear at the end, I would have absolutely included Michael Fassbender for Frank.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

^You guys do realize that Fassbender doesn’t give a vocal performance but gives a live action one in ‘Frank’, right? That’s him the entire time. Therefore, he shouldn’t even be in the conversation. Ditto Serkis (‘Apes’) and Cumberbatch (‘The Hobbit’) as they give motion-captured performances which is much more than just lending your voice.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

^Thats why I clarified that he wouldn’t be eligible. The trickiest definition of the year has to go to Will Ferell in The Lego Movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that Cate Blanchett would win for How To Train Your Dragon 2. She was easily the best, THE BEST voice-over performer this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Eng
    Participant
    Topics:

Who would be nominated

Cate Blanchett, How to Train Your Dragon 2
    Benedict Cumberbatch, The Penguins of Madagascar
    Will Ferrell, The LEGO Movie
    Morgan Freeman, The LEGO Movie 
    Ben Kingsley, The Boxtrolls 

Winner: Cate Blanchett, How to Train Your Dragon 2 

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

If they had given out that award from the same year they began the Animated Feature category, I think there would have been some interesting showdowns. 

2001: Eddie Murphy in Shrek – BAFTA nominee, fyi!
    2002: Andy Serkis in The Two Towers 
    2003: Ellen DeGeneres in Finding Nemo
    2004: Tom Hanks in The Polar Express (multitudinous characters would beat out iconic Banderas in Shrek 2
    2005: Sasha Baron Cohen in Madagascar would deserve it! But it’d go to Morgan Freeman for March of the Penguins.
    2006: Robin Williams in Happy Feet (tough between him and Paul Newman in Cars, but in this category I think Robin Williams being snubbed in general for Aladdin would make him a favorite)
    2007: Peter O’Toole in Ratatouille (how wonderful would that have been?!)
    2008: Ben Burtt in WALL·E
    2009: Ed Asner in Up
    2010: Might have been the first Carell (Despicable Me) vs. Keaton (Toy Story 3) showdown! I’d give Steve the edge, though. 
    2011:  I’d LIKE to think one of the brilliant Simpsons actors would take this one home. My guess would be Julie Kavner. But it may well have been Andy Serkis for Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
    2012:  Emma Thompson in Brave (beautifully understated work) 
    2013:  Idina Menzel in Frozen. Not my favorite, but certainly iconic and a wonderful reward for a well respected theater actress. 

This year I think Andy Serkis would be the favorite, again, but I think voters would love the opportunity to nominate Chris Pratt and Will Arnett for The LEGO Movie as well. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Ben Kingsley gave the best voice performance this year in The Boxtrolls. I thought he was Timothy Spall for a lot of the movie he did such a wonderful job in that movie. I also thought Kristen Wiig was great in How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Will Arnett in The Lego Movie was great as well. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

^Thats why I clarified that he wouldn’t be eligible. The trickiest definition of the year has to go to Will Ferell in The Lego Movie.

Ah, I see what you are saying. It sounded like you were saying that if Fassbender never showed his face he should’ve been eligible, and if that were the case, again I’d have to disagree with you because that is Fassbender under that mask… He’s not voice acting, he’s physically acting.

As for Ferrell, I totally see your point. He does have that live-action scene at the end, which would be cause for debate. He does strictly voice act his character up to that point, so that would definitely be debatable.   

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

Ben Kingsley gave the best voice performance this year in The Boxtrolls. I thought he was Timothy Spall for a lot of the movie he did such a wonderful job in that movie. I also thought Kristen Wiig was great in How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Will Arnett in The Lego Movie was great as well. 

I’ve heard great things about Kingsley, but I haven’t gotten a chance to see ‘The Boxtrolls’. Hopefully I’ll get to see it soon.  

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Winner: Bradley Cooper in Gardians of the Galaxy.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Who would be nominated at Oscars for Best Voice-Over Performance (2014)?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.