Home Forums Movies Why is Blade Runner 2049 not consider a contender for main categories in Oscar ?

Why is Blade Runner 2049 not consider a contender for main categories in Oscar ?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
I Am The Night
Teridax
sofan
  • I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

It has everything. Critics’ acclaims, fan supports, stunning visual, great and deep plot and complex meaning. Many even consider it to be one of the best Sci-Fi movies ever made. Harrison Ford gave his best performance besides “Witness” and Ryan Gosling was so great (I am actually surprised by his performance because i’ve always thought he’s Ben Aflfeck-esque in acting). But besides technical nods, it has never been considered a contender for Picture, Director, Screenplay,… while Get Out get all the attentions in award season (Get Out is a great movie but i dont think it’s on the same tier with BR2049)

So, my question is that BR 2049 is completely ignored because it’s not good enough or just because it didn’t get enough buzz ? Is it really not as good as Get Out ?

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

It flopped at the Box Office

ReplyCopy URL
    I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

Hugo was terribly flopped, even worse than BR2049, yet it still managed to swept all the nominations for main categories in Oscar and pre-Oscar.

And i thought Box Office was never an important factor in Oscar ? Transformer got more than 1 billion each film yet still considered worst franchise ever.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Hugo was terribly flopped, even worse than BR2049, yet it still managed to swept all the nominations for main categories in Oscar and pre-Oscar.

And i thought Box Office was never an important factor in Oscar ? Transformer got more than 1 billion each film yet still considered worst franchise ever.

Also people have been calling Blade Runner 2049 sexist. This is from Sara Stewart, a film critic. Feel free to agree or disagree, of course.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/guest-column-a-feminist-film-critic-age-weinstein-1048017

This is her key quote on BR 2049:

“Here is what I wish I could say: At least I work in a supportive community of critics who get that misogyny and rape culture pervades the mainstream film industry and regularly say so. Here is what I can say: When I saw the overwhelmingly positive reviews of Blade Runner 2049 last week, calling it “brainy” and “philosophical” and “breathtaking,” I scanned them, in vain, for at least a mention that its female characters are insultingly two-dimensional, all sex toys and sexist cliches, sliced and diced with gory aplomb.

This is part of the problem. It’s not as immediate a concern as rapists holding high-powered jobs in the industry, but it’s a contributing factor. If critics fail to notice when women are not being depicted as human beings rather than sexy props, then “Weinstein culture” wins.”

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

It isn’t very good. Saw it opening weekend.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

It flopped. It wasn’t an Oscar film at all, so it needed to be a hit to make itself noticeable and believeable as an Oscar vehicle.

Also Hugo flopped in a year without many options and it probably ended up in the top 3 everywhere. Plus, it was seen as a huge achievement. Blade Runner flopped in a very good year where 10 nominees would be very justified. Maybe more than 10. It opened way too early and its flop status became very real, talked about and then forgotten. All in the first 2-3 weeks of october.

I loved the film, I hope Deakins gets his extremely deserved Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

It flopped. It wasn’t an Oscar film at all, so it needed to be a hit to make itself noticeable and believeable as an Oscar vehicle. Also Hugo flopped in a year without many options and it probably ended up in the top 3 everywhere. Plus, it was seen as a huge achievement. Blade Runner flopped in a very good year where 10 nominees would be very justified. Maybe more than 10. It opened way too early and its flop status became very real, talked about and then forgotten. All in the first 2-3 weeks of october. I loved the film, I hope Deakins gets his extremely deserved Oscar.

Get Out was never an Oscar film. Yet it still gets all the attention.

ReplyCopy URL
    TheMasterWoMan
    Participant
    Topics:

Because it was a trash movie

ReplyCopy URL
    AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

It is a contender for all categories.

Whether it will get the votes is another story. I have to agree with the others. Blade Runner 2049 just isn’t an Oscar film. Or to put it in more pleasant way, it’s not the kind of film that will draw massive passion from Oscar voters. The runtime is obviously a problem, and it’s not your run of the mill big budget blockbuster.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

It flopped. It wasn’t an Oscar film at all, so it needed to be a hit to make itself noticeable and believeable as an Oscar vehicle. Also Hugo flopped in a year without many options and it probably ended up in the top 3 everywhere. Plus, it was seen as a huge achievement. Blade Runner flopped in a very good year where 10 nominees would be very justified. Maybe more than 10. It opened way too early and its flop status became very real, talked about and then forgotten. All in the first 2-3 weeks of october. I loved the film, I hope Deakins gets his extremely deserved Oscar.

Get Out was never an Oscar film. Yet it still gets all the attention.

Get Out was more universally acclaimed and is still I believe, the single most profitable film of 2017, though it wouldn’t surprise me if The Last Jedi managed to knock it down to #2 already. My point is that Get Out’s social satire and commentary was so ridiculously on-point and biting, the dialogue so quotable, and ALL of the performances so perfect that to deny it any of the recognition is has been deservedly receiving would be ridiculous. Get Out was a box office phenomenon that people are still discussing, debating, analyzing, and being entertained by almost a year later. The lasting power of the Peele film is amazing. Blade Runner 2049 was a box office disappointment (I dare say bomb) and even though I admired its technical aspects and even some of the performances, I understand that it isn’t very accessible to that many people, being the decades-in-the-waiting sequel to a cult film that still is generally love it or hate it. Also, it really didn’t need to be almost 3 hours long.

ReplyCopy URL
    SN
    Participant
    Topics:

I am current predicting BR 2049 in Adapted Screenplay. The 5th slot of this category is VERY hard to predict. There are almost no possible options.

ReplyCopy URL
    DameAudrey
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe because it is an unclassy mediocre piece of boring shit.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Why is Blade Runner 2049 not consider a contender for main categories in Oscar ?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.