Home Forums Movies Why was Dennis Hopper nominated for Hoosiers, but not Blue Velvet in 1986?

Why was Dennis Hopper nominated for Hoosiers, but not Blue Velvet in 1986?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
BamaEd
Anthony
babypook
  • Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

In 1987, Dennis Hooper got his second Oscar nomination (he recieved his first for co-writing Easy Rider) for his role in Hoosiers. But, earlier in the year, he created perhaps one of the scariest villans to grace the screen in Blue Velvet. He played Frank Booth, a sadistic, mentally ill gangster. He was nominated for a Golden Globe, but not an Oscar for this role. Why? What do you guys think?

BamaEd
    Participant
    Topics:

I think in today’s Oscar world, he would have gotten the nod for Blue Velvet, because Oscar would have paid more attention to it. A little villainy and evil is fine, but a creepy drug gas sniffing type like in Blue Velvet wasn’t going to fly in the 80s. Also, in Hoosiers, he plays an alchoholic who gets a happy ending in a feel good movie. It’s more of a “feel good” role.

But, like I said, I think in today’s Oscar world, Blue Velvet would have gotten him the nod.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

It is definitely true that Frank Booth was too bizarre a character to get the Academy’s notice back then, which is a shame because he should have WON for Blue Velvet. Hoosiers was almost like a huge saving grace because it was a way to nominate thim without going for his work in Blue Velvet…and his work in Hoosiers was definitely good and I keep hearing how he was still highly favored to win but I do think he was easily deserving to win for BLUE VELVET.

BLUE VELVET obviously was very polarizing as it didn’t really get a lot of notice from the Academy, but it should have gotten nominate for at least Picture, Screenplay, Score, Cinematography, and MAYBE even a nod for Isabella Rosselini….and it would have contended highly with Hannah and Her Sisters for my personal vote in many categories. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Blue Velvet: unconventional, really good, and SEX.
    Hoosiers: Entertaining, safe, sports film.

So, in conclusion….

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Why was Dennis Hopper nominated for Hoosiers, but not Blue Velvet in 1986?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.