Home Forums Movies Xavier Dolan’s “Mommy” (2014)

Xavier Dolan’s “Mommy” (2014)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a feeling this thread was already created but after an extensive search I couldn’t find it anywhere so here it goes anyways.

Why aren’t we talking about this movie? In my opinion it was by far one of the best movies I’ve seen in a long time and 2014’s best (tied with Whiplash).

Everything in Mommy worked. Xavier Dolan wrote such a witty sharp script and put it to life with such brilliance and detail that I couldn’t help but feel overwhelmed with such a dramatic force of nature of a film. The performances were absolutely terrific. The three actors deserved Oscar nominations for their incredible work: I would have bumped Felicity Jones for Anne Dorval, Benedict Cumberbatch for Antoine Olivier Pilon (after bumping Bradley Cooper for Jake Gyllenhaal but that’s another story) and Meryl Streep for Suzanne Clément (after bumping Keira Knightley for Jessica Chastain). They were all extraordinary. Anne Dorval managed to sweep me off my feet. I would have voted for her even above Rosamund Pike, that’s how amazing she was.

Dolan’s direction was phenomenal. The 1:1 ratio aspect worked wonders with the film and the moments when that structure changed were very powerful and crucial to the narrative. Another thing that I must cite (and praise) was the choices made regarding the soundtrack. Those late 90’s/early 00’s pop anthems such as White Flag, On Ne Change Pas and Wonderwall gave me LIFE. And of course that moment when Ludovico Einaudi’s Experience plays in one of the best montages of the decade… Goosepumps all over! Xavier Dolan really did create something special. I hope this movie becomes a cult classic.

But enough about me. What did you think of Mommy? 

manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s absolutely my favorite movie of last year, and I agree that the three principle actors should absolutely have gotten more recognition than they did. I understand how someone might find the whole thing a bit too cute or something with its soundtrack and its construct, and I do wish the more dystopian elements of the film felt less tacked on, but I think every construct basically works to maximum melodramatic results and the whole experience is such a stunner. 

I’ve been following Dolan’s career from the start, having seen him introduce I Killed My Mother in a 2010 screening. I think Heartbeats is his only real misstep — I love I Killed My Mother, Laurence Anyways, and Tom at the Farm for different reasons but Mommy is definitely the first sign of him coming into his own as a world class filmmaker.  

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t seen Tom at the Farm yet but I agree that Heartbeats holds a candle to the rest of his filmography. It’s not a bad film by any means but it’s not great either. I Killed My Mother and Laurence Anyways are modern masterpieces. That (too) intense café scene in Laurence Anyways with Suzanne Clement’s character arguing with the waitress is better than the entirety of half of last year’s Best Picture nominees. Xavier Dolan is a “little” genius.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Mommy was terrific. It should have gotten three acting nominations, and I have no problem slotting Pilon into a Supporting. There’s precedent for it, and it wouldn’t really be too fraudulent given the structure of his screentime. The moment for me that sealed this as one of my favourites in a while was the change in aspect ratio. The moment when I realized that I’d actually felt trapped until that point, and then when it came back, I actually felt slightly claustrophobic. I recommend anyone who hasn’t seen it to watch it on a big screen and get immersed. As a Canadian, I support ashy Candaian success, and this is hands down my favourite Canadian film since Incendies.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Tom his next movie has Chastain, Sarandon, and Bates, do you believe he’ll bring something special out of them?

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Tom his next movie has Chastain, Sarandon, and Bates, do you believe he’ll bring something special out of them?

Definitely. He’s great at working with actresses so I’m expecting the movie to be great. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

A masterpiece, the best movie of 2014 alongside with Boyhood. A MAJOR step in Dolan’s career, with three amazing performances (especially the ladies) with many perfect scenes. The ”experience” scene is perfection.

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

A masterpiece, the best movie of 2014 alongside with Boyhood. A MAJOR step in Dolan’s career, with three amazing performances (especially the ladies) with many perfect scenes. The ”experience” scene is perfection.

The experience scene had everyone around me in tears. It’s such a powerful heartbreaking moment. A very beautiful way to show what is inside of a mother’s head and everything they wish for their sons and daughters. Devastating. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

Who knew it would take three months to convince fellow students in post-secondary to watch “Mommy”.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Caught this on DVD the other day and loved it! Wish it got nominated for Foreign Film 

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Mommy was the absolute best film last year (yes even better than Whiplash in my books). It should’ve got easy nods for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Best Foreign Film but they fell for American Sniper instead. What annoys me the most is the fact they had an empty tenth slot in Best Picture, Robert Duvall and Meryl Streep in the Supporting acting categories because of name recognition and Felicity Jones in Best Actress because she rode Redmayne’s coattails. Ugh.

Oscar nominations aside, it’s one of the best movies ever. The Experience/Faux Ending scene changed my perception of cinema.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Xavier Dolan’s “Mommy” (2014)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.