Home Forums Movies Your pick for Most Disappointing Film of 2015

Your pick for Most Disappointing Film of 2015

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Tom O’Neil
    Keymaster
    Topics:

What movie really let you down this year when you went into the theater with optimistic expectations? “By the Sea” is near the top of my list.

jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

I hated the new Avengers movie. But for an Oscar film, so far, it would probably be Bridge of Spies. Love Spielberg and Hanks, but just wasnt intrested in the plot

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Tomorrowland
    Suffragette
    True Story
    Aloha
    Southpaw
    Sleeping With Other People
    Serena
    The Intern
    Digging for Fire

ReplyCopy URL
    Cheshire
    Participant
    Topics:

Either Pan, Avengers: Age of Ultron or Chappie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tom O’Neil
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Suffragette should’ve been better, yes. It was too paint by numbers. I didn’t bother seeing Southpaw — not interested at all in the story

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Glad I’m not the only one who thought Southpaw was a HUGE misfire for Jake Gyllenhaal.

Also, even though I thought Inside Out was pretty nice, I think it doesn’t light a candle to Pixar at its best, being slightly superior to the similarly pleasantly entertaining Monsters University. Inside Out was a really good movie, don’t get me wrong. It’s just that when people say it’s at the same level as Toy Story, The Incredibles, or Finding Nemo even, that’s when I start to get annoyed by the hype.

Age of Ultron mostly sucked, in spite of James Spader’s scene-stealing work as the title villian, and Andy Serkis’ killer cameo. Can’t wait to see him as the main villian in Black Panther!

The Martian was IMO, very much like Inside Out, a good movie that’s been way overhyped. Sure it was entertaining, but BEST FREAKING PICTURE?!?! Are you people nuts?!! I get less bothered by The Martian hype then Inside Out hype though, simply because I was more entertained by the former.

ReplyCopy URL
    DamianWayne
    Participant
    Topics:

Southpaw
    Age of Ultron
    Fantastic Four
    Everest
    Spy 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I also enjoyed Everest for what it was but disappointed it wasn’t better. Still solid. Same thing with Ricki and the Flash. I wanted a lot more from that but still enjoyed the movie overall 

ReplyCopy URL
    Zayner
    Participant
    Topics:

Truth. Very average in my opinion

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Steve Jobs was the biggest one for me, since I basically like everybody involved in that. Interesting man, just not an interesting enough story no matter how much you try to reshape it to be narratively convenient. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

“The Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Grace of Monaco,” & most disappointing, “Spectre”

ReplyCopy URL
    Teproc
    Participant
    Topics:

“Spectre” and “Irrational Man” are the biggest ones for me so far.

ReplyCopy URL
    FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Avengers: Age of Ultron. Bar. None.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

I tend to trust my friends on GoldDerby and pride myself on missing a lot of losers.

Of course, sometimes I just rush out to the first advance screening on a Thursday night, so excited for the film.

I love Meryl Streep. I was thrilled to see her reunited with Sophie’s Choice costar Kevin Kline. The opportunity to act opposite her eldest daughter Mamie Gummer in a film written by Oscar winner Diablo Cody and directed by Oscar winner Jonathan Demme. Oh, boy!

Ricki and the Flash was a stunning misfire. Meryl did her best with a story that floundered. Did anyone believe that lame ending? Kevin walked through the film at best. Mamie was better in a small role in her other 2015 film, The End of the Tour.

ReplyCopy URL
    benutty
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The two films I think are being wildly overpraised are two of the films I was most excited to see this year: Room and The Martian.

I’m a huge fan of Brie Larson and A24, but Room is such a misfire by no fault of their own. Instead the direction and writing is just not up to snuff. The film never capitalizes on the natural tension, fear and tragedy of what the characters endure, and the final act fails to bring any depth or meaning to their experience.

I have been a staunch advocate of sci-fi, IMAX, 3D films getting Academy love and I adored the book, so The Martian was very high on my list, but that, too. failed to reach expectations. Everything about it could have been better. Scott clearly played it safe, making the least offensive, least ballsy film of the year. That’s fine and probably why everyone is loving it–indeed it’s a film impossible to hate. But isn’t that inherently a PROBLEM? For f*ck’s sake. Shouldn’t a film challenge you? Shouldn’t the story of a man stranded on Mars be terrifying? Shouldn’t the visuals be awe-inspiring? Shouldn’t there be more tension on Earth in the attempt to save him? Shouldn’t NASA astronauts have a harder time making the decision to mutiny? A tale this epic should not be wrapped up so nicely.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
Reply To: Your pick for Most Disappointing Film of 2015

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.