1997: Who Came in Second Place?

Home // Forums // Music // 1997: Who Came in Second Place?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Briana Breeze
    Participant
    Topics:

After focusing on the 1990 and 1988 Grammy ceremonys, I am focusing on the 1997 Grammys. Who do you think was second place in the general field? Winners are in Bold

Album of the Year
    Bob Dylan-Time Out of Mind
    Babyface-The Day
    Paula Cole-This Fire
    Paul McCartney-Flaming Pie
    Radiohead-OK Computer

Record of the Year
    Shawn Colvin-Sunny Came Home
    Paula Cole-Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?
    Sheryl Crow-Everyday is a Winding Road
    Hanson-MMMBop
    R. Kelly-I Believe I Can Fly

Song of the Year
    Shawn Colvin-Sunny Came Home
    Paula Cole-Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?
    R. Kelly-I Believe I Can Fly
    No Doubt-Don’t Speak
    Leann Rimes & Trisha Yearwood-How Do I Live

Best New Artist
    Paula Cole
    Fiona Apple
    Erykah Badu
    Hanson
    Puff Daddy

Album of the Year: Babyface, he won in this category producing The Bodyguard Soundtrack, in addition to multiple wins in the Producer of the Year category and that alone showed he had support among voters, He was nominated for Best R&B Album, so that helped his chances.

Record of the Year: Sheryl Crow, she was the only artist to be nominated in this category prior and winning with “All I Wanna Do”, she was also fresh off two wins for her second album so there was some support for her.

Song of the Year: How Do I Live vs. Where Have All the Cowboys Gone? Rimes’ version was a big crossover pop hit with one of the longest chart runs in Billboard history that could have helped, in addition both her version and Yearwood’s version were nominated for Best Female Country Vocal Performance with the latter winning
    -I’m going with Paula Cole, the Grammys are often left field and offbeat with their choices in this category, sometimes a ballad wins, sometimes a song that is left field wins and Cole’s song fits the latter.

Best New Artist: Erykah Badu, she fits the mold of the female singer-songwriters who the Grammys have awarded and embraced in this category and she also had a lot of support for her in the R&B field winning in performance and album and that helped her chances.
    -Apple, she won a Grammy for “Criminal” and was nominated for Rock Song and had a lot of critical acclaim, however, some voters might have felt divisive towards her especially towards her speech at the MTV VMAs 
    -It’s rare for teen pop acts and hip hop acts to win in this category so Hanson and Puff Daddy were automically out

Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Record of the Year: R. Kelly, “I Believe I Can Fly”
    Album of the Year: Babyface, The Day
    Song of the Year: “I Believe I Can Fly”
    Best New Artist: Erykah Badu 

ReplyCopy URL
    james14
    Participant
    Topics:

ROTY – R. Kelly – I Believe I Can Fly
    AOTY – Radiohead, OK Computer
    SOTY – “How Do I Live” (but a tough choice – could have seen “I Believe I Can Fly” winning too)
    BNA – Erykah Badu

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: 1997: Who Came in Second Place?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.