Home Forums Music 2012 in Music

2012 in Music

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Pieman1994
    Participant
    Topics:

Now that we’re rounding down, how do we feel about the music of 2012? Was it a good year? Was it a bad year? Is there anything that stuck out to anyone? 

Personally, this was kind of a boring year. With the exception of a few select records, there weren’t too many albums that really stuck out. There were only a handful of albums that could be classified as mediocre. Most of what was released was still quite good, but ultimately underwhelming. 

Thoughts? 

Mrs. Doolittle
    Participant
    Topics:

With the exception of Taylor Swift, music these days is really going down the drain each passing year.

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

^ “With the exception of Taylor Swift”? You mean “including”…

2012 was alright, nothing too special happened.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Only a couple of exceptional albums and not much exciting in the pop world. But a good bunch of pretty good albums. I’m pro-Swift btw.

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

To me, the best thing about 2012 was the song “No Hurry” from the Zac Brown Band because it was co-written by my most favorite singer, James Otto. (smiles)

God bless you and him and the ZBB always!!!

Holly

Go here to check out my most favorite singer James Otto!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiU81KIRZ_Q

ReplyCopy URL
    simali
    Topics:

The first 2 quarters started out GREAT,  but these last 2 quarters have been pretty blah, save for
    gangnam style there isn’t too much excitement or anything to get excited for esp going into January 2013, and i know lady gaga is cooking up something but i’m very hesitant

I do like that because “veteran” artists have been releasing subpar material though it’s given a lot of these
    new acts an opportunity to shine

ReplyCopy URL
    JustGuy89
    Participant
    Topics:

I was very content with the music of 2012.

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

Wait no, I’d like to add that Christina Aguilera’s Lotus is the best album of 2012. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Hieu Vo
    Participant
    Topics:

I use to listen to country music and kind of faded off from it because I was cornered by a bunch of people in my school with their love for pop mainstream radio music. So for that kind of genre, it’s been a very lackluster year. 

But I recently have gone back to country music this past couple of months,and I have to say that for country music, it’s been a fantastic year. I am a born again Country fan and have realized that country music is consistent and never fails to produce good music.  

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^ In my opinion, most of the credit should go to those who write the songs because if it wasn’t for them, there wouldn’t be any “messages” for the singers to deliver. (smiles)

God bless you and my most favorite writer always!!!

Holly (a fan for 30+ years and still counting)

Go here to check out my most favorite singer James Otto!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiU81KIRZ_Q

ReplyCopy URL
    DrJustice
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d like to shout out R&B for not altogether sucking.  Frank Ocean, Miguel, Luke James, thank you for making me pay attention to R&B again.

ReplyCopy URL
    AroundU
    Topics:

It hasn’t been a terrible year. To find good music you just have to look for it, you cannot rely on mainstream radio who mostly blast out commercial generic songs written by a team of 5 people.

Who i’ve loved/discovered this year…

Austra
    Grimes
    Ben Howard
    Jessie Ware
    Lianne La Havas
    Alt-J
    Of Monsters and Men
    First Aid Kit
    Delilah
    HAIM
    Polica
    Azealia Banks
    Clean Bandit

Plus great second albums by Ellie Goulding, Marina + the Diamonds and Mumford & Sons

ReplyCopy URL
    nlly9116
    Participant
    Topics:

The first half was much better than the second, that’s for sure. Overall I think music is moving in a good direction though. Who would have thought two years ago that songs like STIUTK, Ho Hey, and I Will Wait would be playing on pop radio? I like that alternative and indie music is becoming more mainstream and accepted by the overall music-buying public.

ReplyCopy URL
    james14
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d like to shout out R&B for not altogether sucking.  Frank Ocean, Miguel, Luke James, thank you for making me pay attention to R&B again.

Agreed – between records by Miguel, Usher, Frank Ocean, Solange, The Weeknd, and THEESatisfaction, this has been the best year I’ve heard of R&B.  Also, the list of my overall top ten albums this year (see below) competes with most other years in recent memory.  Sure, pop radio has been off, but that’s nothing new.  The overall quality of music in general this year was great.

Top Ten Albums – 2012
    1. Frank Ocean, Channel Orange
    2. Burial, Kindred
    3. Kendrick Lamar, good kid, m.A.A.d. city
    4. Death Grips, The Money Store
    5. Grimes, Visions
    6. Japandroids, Celebration Rock
    7. Liars, WIXIW
    8. Perfume Genius, Put Your Back N 2 It
    9. Miguel, Kaleidoscope Dream
    10. Tame Impala, Lonerism

Close Calls (just outside the top ten): Dan Deacon, Passion Pit, Swans, Lotus Plaza, Bat for Lashes, Godspeed You! Black Emperor!, Twin Shadow, Jessie Ware, Purity Ring, Mount Eerie.             

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.