Home Forums Music 2014 4th quarter releases

2014 4th quarter releases

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
st_jimmy
Final2
outsider
  • st_jimmy
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve been thinking what a weak year for music its been. All the break out acts seem really light compared to recent years. All the big names that have released so far have been just okay. Then I look down the list and see who is scheduled to release before the end of the year/rumored to be releasing and realizing this year, more so than recent previous years, everyone seems to be waiting until the end.

Who are you looking forward to? Who might pull a Beyonce? Do you agree that this 4th quarter seems a little more jam packed or am I making stuff up???

October 7
    Jason Aldean–Old Boots, New Dirt

October 14
    Florida Georgia Line–Anything Goes
    U2–Songs of Innocence

October 21
    Neil Diamond–Melody Road

October 27
    Taylor Swift–1989
    Lil Wayne–Tha Carter V

November 4

November 10
    Foo Fighters–Sonice Highways
    Garth Brooks

November 17
    One Direction–Four

November 24
    Eminem/D12/Shady Records–Shady XV
    Nicki Minaj–The Pink Print

December 2
    Mary J Blige–The London Sessions
    AC/DC–Rock or Bust

December 9
    Carrie Underwood–Greatest Hits: Decade 1

Possible releases:
    Gwen Stefani
    Usher
    Kanye West
    Fergie
    Rihanna

Anyone big I’m missing? I’ll update and make corrections as needed.  

st_jimmy
    Participant
    Topics:

And I know I’m a big premature since it’s still August but there has been discussion of a couple of these names dropping albums in September (U2 and Kanye)

ReplyCopy URL
    Final2
    Participant
    Topics:

I know Fergie is planning a late 2014 release the last time I looked.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re missing Rihanna and Madonna 

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

I don’t think this year is shaping up to be more crowded than usual. 4th quarter is always an extremely busy period.

ReplyCopy URL
    st_jimmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Nov 28
    Eminem–Shady XV

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a feeling Gwen Stefani may drop something by the end of the year. She’s been hinting at a solo comeback for some time now. 

ReplyCopy URL
    st_jimmy
    Participant
    Topics:

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/6229269/which-fall-releases-have-blockbuster-retail-potential

Which Fall Releases Have Blockbuster Retail Potential?

By Ed Christman | August 25, 2014 

With streaming curtailing downloads and the holiday shopping season suffering sales erosion in five of the last seven years, retailers can feel buoyed by how the fourth-quarter release schedule is shaping up.

One music retailer says that October alone could be the strongest in years, although some of the releases he cited may be pushed to later in the quarter. But, so as long as those anticipated releases stay in the fourth quarter, then the retail sector won’t be able to point any fingers at a weak release schedule over disappointing numbers.

So far this year, digital album sales are down 11.3%, digital track sales are down 12.8%, and overall album sales are down 14.4%. Retailers, unsurprisingly, say these stats translate into a discouraging trend. Last year’s final quarter was the weakest since the advent of SoundScan, accounting for 29.1% of the year’s total album sales, down from 30.9% of annual sales in each the prior two years, falling from 33.2% of annual sales in 2007.

Four titles are coming that could be juggernaut sales blockbusters, including Taylor Swift, who hit a million units in the debut week on her last album, Red, which went onto sell over 4 million units; and Jason Aldean, whose last album Night Train, released in 2012, scanned over 409,000 units in its debut week.

The street dates for two other artists — One Direction and Lil’ Wayne — once expected to be released in October, are still scheduled for the holiday season. The last time Lil’ Wayne released a new iteration of Tha Carter, it almost hit 1 million units — 964,0000 to be exact — in its debut week ending Sept. 4, 2011. One Direction’s Midnight Memories scanned 546,000 units in the week ending Dec. 1, 2013.

The releases of Taylor Swift and Lil’ Wayne beg the question of whether or not either still has a shot at moving a million during debut week — the ultimate prize among label executives — in a market where streaming appears to be cannibalizing download sales. Executives point to Swift as the artist more likely to reach that particular height of heights.

Those four titles aren’t the only ones that merchants are pinning their fourth quarter hopes on, however. The overall schedule also includes titles from Ne-YoFoo FightersMaroon 5Bob SegerIdina MenzellAnnie LennoxRaekwon, Colbie CaillatKanye West, and Usher

Add to that a strong slate of country releases including Florida Georgia LineDarius RuckerBlake Shelton, Lady Antebellum, andLittle Big Town

Last but not ever least, there will be a Beatles vinyl box set containing all of the group’s original mono albums, which will also be made available individually. Universal Music Enterprises has pressed 1 million discs for the box set and the various individual titles. The company is expected to ship 35,000 of the 14-disc box set and an estimated 400,000-450,000 combined of the individual titles.

“I am encouraged by the release schedule; its a diverse release schedule that can satisfy all of our customers,” Laura Provenzano, vp of purchasing for Alliance Entertainment, the second-largest U.S. music wholesaler, tells Billboard. “If the stars align and everything comes out, it could be a really good October,” which, she adds, could make for a strong holiday season overall, since the releases would be available through the end of the year instead of being jammed into the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

One retail executive tells Billboard he is so optimistic about the fourth quarter that he is upping his music sales projections.

There are a lot of “long-term projects that will keep giving [sales] into the first quarter [of 2015],” says Provenzano.

ReplyCopy URL
    kingofrapmusic17
    Participant
    Topics:

Nov 28
    Eminem–Shady XV

I wouldn’t really call it an Eminem record. It’s basically an album by Shady Records (Em, D12, Yelawolf, Slaughterhouse).

ReplyCopy URL
    st_jimmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Added One Direction to the confirmed list. 

Can this year’s fourth quarter releases help make up a portion of the year-to-year sales decline? Aside from streaming services taking over, it’s been a weak year for releases.  

ReplyCopy URL
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

Nicki Minaj – The Pink Print in November

ReplyCopy URL
    st_jimmy
    Participant
    Topics:

I added U2, even though sales will be noticably lower since everyone already has the album lol.

Wasn’t Garth confirmed a while ago to release on Black Friday? I’m finding conflicting info.

Adele needs to surprise drop a lead single and then do promo for the album. Not sure why she would wait until 2015.

There’s three possible million week openers (Adele, Taylor Swift, Lil Wayne), when is the last time this happened in such a short time. Early 2000s?  

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Taylor doing a million the first week again? I don’t see it. But then again never underestimate teenage girls who love bubble gum trash.

ReplyCopy URL
    st_jimmy
    Participant
    Topics:

I also think her sales will decrease this time, but since the potential is there based off of her past two albums I think it’s open for discussion. If she maintains 83% of what she opened with last time she’s at 1 million. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Final2
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a gut feeling shes gonna be just under a million but it depends on her promo singles if she sells then maybe but its a pop album and her pop songs sell. People apparently like grammy nominated trash.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
Reply To: 2014 4th quarter releases

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.