2016 Eurovision Song Contest

Home // Forums // Music // 2016 Eurovision Song Contest

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • JonL916
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know how too many in North America deal with it but I know it will be big in Europe and there will be a lot of people making predictions. For those wanting to make predictions, go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest_2016

vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I have some friendsin England and they are huge Nicky Byrne fans and I’ve been told he is representing Ireland so that could be fun.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

The last 2-3 years had stronger bunch of entries, I think, although there are few interesting ones. Nick Byrne’s song is one of my least favorites.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t listend to it yet so I’l take your word for it lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

^^No, you should listen to all the songs. All 43 of them are avalaible on YouTube and each one, according to the rules, isn’t longer than 3 minutes.

Countries prequalified to the Final (May 14th): Sweden (host), UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy (members of Big 5, the biggest financial contributors to the EBU). They will be joined by 20 qualifiers from semi-finals (10 each).

Running order of SF1 (May 10th): Finland, Greece, Moldova, Hungary, Croatia, Netherlands, Armenia, San Marino, Russia, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Austria, Estonia, Azerbaijan, Montenegro, Iceland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Malta.

Running order of SF2 (May 12th): Latvia, Poland, Switzerland, Israel, Belarus, Serbia, Ireland, FYR Macedonia, Lithuania, Australia, Slovenia, Romania, Bulgaria, Denmark, Ukraine, Norway, Georgia, Albania, Belgium.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

^^No, you should listen to all the songs. All 43 of them are avalaible on YouTube and each one, according to the rules, isn’t longer than 3 minutes.

Countries prequalified to the Final (May 14th): Sweden (host), UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy (members of Big 5, the biggest financial contributors to the EBU). They will be joined by 20 qualifiers from semi-finals (10 each).

Running order of SF1 (May 10th): Finland, Greece, Moldova, Hungary, Croatia, Netherlands, Armenia, San Marino, Russia, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Austria, Estonia, Azerbaijan, Montenegro, Iceland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Malta.

Running order of SF2 (May 12th): Latvia, Poland, Switzerland, Israel, Belarus, Serbia, Ireland, FYR Macedonia, Lithuania, Australia, Slovenia, Romania, Bulgaria, Denmark, Ukraine, Norway, Georgia, Albania, Belgium.

I’ll check them out this week. out of the SF1 and SF2 ones, how many go through? My friends told me 10 but they weren’t sure and odds are drunk.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andro Putranto
    Participant
    Topics:

My Top 43 for this year’s Eurovision:

1  France
    Amir
    J’ai cherché
    2  Latvia
    Justs
    Heartbeat
    3  Australia
    Dami Im
    Sound of Silence
    4  Spain
    Barei
    Say Yay!
    5  Iceland
    Greta Salóme
    Hear Them Calling
    6  Malta
    Ira Losco
    Walk on Water
    7  Croatia
    Nina Kraljić
    Lighthouse
    8  Bulgaria
    Poli Genova
    If Love Was A Crime
    9  Armenia
    Iveta Mukuchyan
    LoveWave
    10  Italy
    Francesca Michielin
    No Degree of Separation
    11  Switzerland
    Rykka
    The Last of Our Kind
    12  Norway
    Agnete
    Icebreaker
    13  Lithuania
    Donny Montell
    I’ve Been Waiting for This Night
    14  Hungary
    Freddie
    Pioneer
    15  Estonia
    Jüri Pootsmann
    Play
    16  Czech Republic
    Gabriela GunÄíková
    I Stand
    17  Azerbaijan
    Samra
    Miracle
    18  Israel
    Hovi Star
    Made of Stars
    19  Russia
    Sergey Lazarev
    You Are the Only One
    20  Sweden
    Frans 
    If I Were Sorry
    21  Cyprus
    Minus One
    Alter Ego
    22  Ireland
    NIcky Byrne
    Sunlight
    23  Serbia
    ZAA Sanja VuÄić
    Goodbye (Shelter)
    24  Finland
    Sandhja
    Sing It Away
    25  Belgium
    Laura Tesoro
    What’s the Pressure
    26  United Kingdom
    Joe & Jake
    You’re Not Alone
    27  Germany
    Jamie-Lee Kriewitz
    Ghost
    28  Denmark
    Lighthouse X
    Soldiers of Love
    29  Moldova
    Lidia Isac
    Falling Stars
    30  Ukraine
    Jamala
    31  Netherlands
    Douwe Bob
    Slow Down
    32  Poland
    Michał Szpak
    Color of Your Life
    33  Austria
    Zoë
    Loin d’ici
    34  Greece
    Argo
    Utopian Land
    35  Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Dalal & Deen 
    feat. Ana Rucner and Jala
    Ljubav je
    36  FYR Macedonia
    Kaliopi
    Dona
    37  Belarus
    Ivan
    Help You Fly
    38  Slovenia
    ManuElla
    Blue and Red
    39  Romania
    Ovidiu Anton
    Moment of Silence
    40  Albania
    Eneda Tarifa
    Fairytale Love
    41  Montenegro
    Highway
    The Real Thing
    42  Georgia
    Nika Kocharov & 
    Young Georgian Lolitaz
    Midnight Gold
    43  San Marino
    Serhat
    I Didn’t Know

ReplyCopy URL
    YoungSoo1313
    Blocked
    Topics:

Cool! I thought I was gobing to be the first one to open this topic but it’s nice to know the discussion is already happening.

My personal favourite is Georgia but I know they are not going anywhere. I hope France wins because I don’t want to see Russia winning 🙂

If you’d like to read my thoughts on all the 43 entries, click the following link: http://thegramophonereporter.wordpress.com/2016/04/10/eurovision-2016-thoughts-on-all-43-entrants-part-1/

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I am going to update this one as I listen to more and more of them. I am also rating them out of 10. The Italisized ones are the ones that I think will go through and the ones that already are and bold is who I think will win.

Sweeden – “If I Were Sorry” is a solid song. I liked it a lot. 8.5/10

France – Can’t remember the name but this one is my fav of the bunch thus far. 10/10

German – “Ghost” could be a hit anywhere. Definately a contender. 8.5/10

Italy – “No Degree of Seperation” is pretty good. 8/10

Spain – “Say Yay” is fun. That’s all I got to say on this one. 7.5/10

England – “You’re not Alone” is good. Forgettable though. 6.5/10

Finland – “Sing It Away” made me laugh hysterically the first time I listened to it and every time I tried to listen to it after that. Don’t know why. Anyways, after the tenth attempt I got through the whole song. 5/10

Greece – “Utopian Lands” is a interesting song. Didn’t love it didnt hate it. 6/10

Moldova – “Falling Stars” is great! 9/10

Hungary – “Pioneer” is a solid song but I wasn’t wowed by it either. 7/10

Croatia – “Lighthouse” is kinda perfect in my opinion. 10/10

Netherlands – “Slow Down” annoyed me. Not a fan. 4/10

Aremenia – “LoveWave” annoyed me too. Something about it just irks me. 4/10

San Marino – Where the heck is this place? Because I loved this song. 10/10

Russia – “You Are the Only One” just was ok. 7/10

Czech Republic – “I Stand” is super catchy. 9.5/10

Cyprus – “Alter Ego” is kinda awesome in my opinion. 9/10

Austria – “Loin d’ici” is a interesting song. I didnt’ love it but it was kinda catchy. 8.5/10

Estonia – “Play” made me want to hit skip. 4/10

Azerbaijan – “Miracle” is really catchy and kinda cliche. Overall, fun. 8.5/10

Montnegero – Can’t remember the name and I didn’t write it down but this song was ok. 7/10

Iceland – “Hear Them Calling” was good. 8/10

Bosnia – Another one I just really hated. 3/10

Malta: “Walk on Water” isn’t bad. It isn’t good either. 5/10

Latvia – “Heartbeat” is a great song. 9/10

Poland – “Color of Your Life” isn’t great. 6/10

Switzerland – “The Last of Our Kind” is very blah to me but I think people will like it. 6/10

Isreal – “Made of Stars” was alright. Not great though. 7/10

Belarus – “Help You Fly” was pretty good. 8.5/10

Serbia: Ok this song is the worst of the bunch. 2/10

Ireland – “Sunlight” is kinda catchy. 8.5/10

Macedonia – No idea what they were saying but I liked it. 8/10

Lithuania – “I’ve Been Waiting for this Night’ is pretty impressive. 10/10

Australia – “The Sound of Silence” is perfect. 10/10

Slovenia – “Blue and Red” is very catchy. Very Very catchy. 9/10

Romania – Not bad. 7/10

Bulgaria – “If Love Was a Crime” wasn’t that good but not bad either. 6/10

Denmark – “Soilders of Love” is extremely catchy. 9.5/10

Ukraine – Not a fan of this one. 5/10

Norway – “Icebreaker” was pretty fun. 8/10

Georgia – “Midnight Gold” was kinda blah. 6/10

Albania – “FairyTale” was just ok. 7/10

Belgium – Meh. 7/10

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

Alphabetical ranking order

Top 10
    Australia – Dami Im – Sound of Silence (although I don’t think Australia should participate)
    Bulgaria – Poli Genova – If Love Was a Crime
    France – Amir – J’ai cherche
    Iceland – Greta Salome – Hear Them Calling
    Italy – Francesca Michelin – No Degree of Separation
    Latvia – Justs – Heartbeat
    Malta – Ira Losco – Walk on Water
    Poland – Michal Szpak – Color of Your Life
    Spain – Barei – Say Yay
    Ukraine – Jamala – 1944 

Bottom 10
    Albania – Eneda Tarifa – Fairytale
    Armenia – Iveta Mukuchyan – Love Wave
    Belarus – Ivan – Help You Fly
    Bosnia & Herzegovina – Dalal/Deen/Ana Rucner/Jala – Ljubav je
    Greece – Argo – Utopian Land
    Ireland – Nicky Byrne – Sunlight
    Montenegro – Highway – The Real Thing
    Romania – Ovidiu Anton – Moment of Silence
    San Marino – Serhat – I Didn’t Know
    Serbia – Sanja Vucic ZAA – Shelter

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Jake”]

I’ll check them out this week. out of the SF1 and SF2 ones, how many go through? My friends told me 10 but they weren’t sure and odds are drunk.

[/quote]

I wrote it already – 10 from each one. Share your thoughts when you’re gonna discover these songs. 

Important change in the voting process which gets lifting for the first time since 1975! This year we’re gonna have 2 sets of points from every country – one from professional juries and one from televoting. They were combined into one score since 2009 but this proved to be controversial when one song could place 1st in televoting and last for juries and thus get no point. This system allows all points to be added to the score which is for the better because at least money spent by people on voting will translate into points. On the other hand I was a traditionalist and I’m disappointed that the system changes because that way we won’t be able to compare this year with the previous ones. Winning song might get even around 700 points. 

ReplyCopy URL
    YoungSoo1313
    Blocked
    Topics:

I wrote it already – 10 from each one. Share your thoughts when you’re gonna discover these songs. 

Important change in the voting process which gets lifting for the first time since 1975! This year we’re gonna have 2 sets of points from every country – one from professional juries and one from televoting. They were combined into one score since 2009 but this proved to be controversial when one song could place 1st in televoting and last for juries and thus get no point. This system allows all points to be added to the score which is for the better because at least money spent by people on voting will translate into points. On the other hand I was a traditionalist and I’m disappointed that the system changes because that way we won’t be able to compare this year with the previous ones. Winning song might get even around 700 points. 

You can compare it by percentage.

It is actually unfair to say Norway’s “Fairytale” is the biggest winner of all-time. True, he has received the most points: 387. But 387 points out of the possible 492 of 2009 represents 79% of the voting. But if you look at Luxembourg’s 1973 “Tu te reconnaitrais”, it won with 129 out of 160 and that is 80.62% of the vote. Technically, you can say Luxembourg has had the highest amount of points in the festival.

This year there’ll be more than 1,000 points. Therefore for a song to break Luxembourg’s and Norway’s record, it might need to get 800+ points.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, it’s true that I can compare it by percentage but still it gets fishy sometimes. ABBA, which will be hard to top as the most deserving winner, won in 1974 only with 18% of the votes, higher only than 4 tied winners on 1969 (15%). This kind of low percentage was all possible with that voting system when every country had 10 juries who were giving 1 point each. It’s lower than lower-placed songs of 1971-1973.

Maybe it will be still comparable to modern system introduced in 1975.

Rehearsals started today and I can’t wait for the next week.

I only regret the fact that Romania was disqualified from taking part due to large amount of debts from their broadcaster. I’m not against this kind of measures but the timing of EBU making this decision 3 weeks before the competition is very questionable. While I clearly wasn’t a big fan of “Moment of Silence”, I feel bad for Ovidiu Anton, the singer.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

1st semifinal today.

Justin Timberlake was announced as interval act on Saturday Grand Final.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andro Putranto
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m definitely disappointed that Iceland didn’t qualify, and also worried if Malta would qualify or not, they have a great song, but the performance? meh. I expected something big from Malta, fortunately they qualified.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: 2016 Eurovision Song Contest

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.