2017 Music In Memoriam Thread (Chester Bennington, Glen Campbell, Walter Becker)

Home // Forums // Music // 2017 Music In Memoriam Thread (Chester Bennington, Glen Campbell, Walter Becker)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
  • James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve never been a watcher of The Voice, but I read about what happened to that girl. To me what makes it all worse is the fact that the shooter did himself in after taking her out. In my opinion, because he took her choice to live or die away from her, his choice to live or die should have been taken from him too. In other words, if her fate was going to be decided by another person, his fate should have then been decided by someone else too.

God bless you and the girl’s family always!!!

Holly

P.S. I wonder what kind of punishment he would have gotten if he had gone before a judge.

Go here to check out my most favorite singer James Otto!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiU81KIRZ_Q

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^ (shaking my head)

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

The newest singer in country music to go forward is 80’s female singer Holly Dunn best known for her song named “Daddy’s Hands”. “Love Someone Like Me”, “Only When I Love”, and “Are You Ever Going To Love Me” are my most favorite songs from her. She was only 59.

God bless you and her family always!!!

Holly

P.S. Ovarian cancer is what took her. (shaking my head)

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordell Martin
    Participant
    Topics:

Sharon Jones 🙁

Sharon Jones, Soul Singer With Dap-Kings, Dead at 60
    Singer dies following “heroic battle against pancreatic cancer”

Sharon Jones, the fiery soul singer who spent decades in obscurity before becoming the singer of the Dap-Kings, died on Friday of pancreatic cancer. Jesse Dittmar/Redux
    By Jason Newman
    1 hour ago
    More News
    Watch Sharon Jones Talk Post-Cancer Hopes, Fears in New Doc Clip
    Sharon Jones Reveals Cancer Return, Will ‘Keep Fighting’
    Watch the Inspiring ‘Miss Sharon Jones!’ Trailer
    All Stories
    Sharon Jones, the fiery soul singer who spent decades in obscurity before becoming a Grammy-nominated soul and funk vocalist with her longtime backing band the Dap-Kings, died on Friday of pancreatic cancer. She was 60.
    RELATED

Sharon Jones Fights On: ‘I Have Cancer; Cancer Don’t Have Me’
    Soul and funk veteran describes recent medical struggles and why she agreed to the brutally candid new documentary, ‘Miss Sharon Jones!’

“We are deeply saddened to announce that Sharon Jones has passed away after a heroic battle against pancreatic cancer,” the singer’s rep wrote in a statement. “She was surrounded by her loved ones, including the Dap-Kings.”
    Doctors diagnosed Jones with stage two pancreatic cancer in 2013 and removed the singer’s gallbladder, the head of her pancreas and 18 inches of her small intestine. She went into remission nine months later, but announced that the cancer had returned at the premiere of Miss Sharon Jones!, a documentary detailing Jones’ life and career. The cancer would be elevated to stage four, with tumors spreading to her lung, liver and lymph nodes.

Jones recorded seven albums with the Dap-Kings, but it was her exhilarating live shows, which functioned as equal parts Baptist church revival, Saturday night juke joint and raucous 1970s Las Vegas revue, that showcased the singer’s unparalleled energy. In venues filled with people half her age, Jones was the most dynamic person in the room, bolting onstage and commanding the crowd like her idol James Brown. It was homage without mimicry; respecting the soul and funk elders that defined the genres while displaying seemingly boundless vitality. Jones’ power was the ability to straddle the line between thankful humility, born out of late-in-life success, and boastful performer.
    “I’m not trying to ride anybody’s coattails,” the singer said in 2008. “I’m just doing my thing and people are coming to us.”

Sharon Lafaye Jones was born May 4th, 1956 in Augusta, GA. The youngest of six kids, she discovered her love for the stage as a child. Her mother moved the family from North Augusta to Brooklyn to escape her abusive husband, and it was there that Jones began singing in church with her sister Willa.

She started numerous funk groups in the 1970s, earning extra money by performing in wedding bands and singing gospel music. But for decades, she had trouble breaking in to the industry.

“I wasn’t what they was looking for,” she told Rolling Stone earlier this year. “They just looked at me and they didn’t like what they saw: a short, black woman.”

As documented in Miss Sharon Jones!, a record producer told the singer in the 1990s that she was “too fat, too black, too short and too old.” “I looked at myself and saw ugliness,” she said in the film.
    She retreated from music for a few years, taking various jobs that included two years as a corrections officer at Rikers Island prison. The job was a harbinger of her onstage persona: Commanding, fierce and demanding respect.
    In 1996, Gabriel Roth, current Dap-Kings bandleader and head of now-defunct funk label Desco Records, needed a back-up singer for various Desco artists. Jones would record “Damn It’s Hot,” her first song as a frontwoman, and continue to record as a back-up singer for the label.
    After the dissolution of Desco, Roth, alongside saxophonist Neal Sugarman, recruited Jones and the Dap-Kings to record their debut album Dap Dippin’ With Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings on what would become Daptone Records. They recorded in a Williamsburg basement, selling copies out of Sugarman’s kitchen in Brooklyn. (Jones would help Roth build the label’s permanent studio-cum-headquarters in 2002, handling the electrical wiring herself.)
    Jones and the Dap-Kings released a series of increasingly popular, horn-anchored soul and funk albums. The group continued to record and tour constantly, watching their crowds grow as Jones’ roaring voice, frenetic energy and gregarious personality surpassed the initial “female James Brown” comparisons.
    In 2012, the group began recording their sixth album, Give the People What They Want, which would eventually earn Jones her first Grammy nomination for Best R&B Album. The next year, she entered a hospital in Augusta, Georgia with yellow eyes, severe itching and chalky stool. The cancer diagnosis was swift and unimaginable. “I just started crying,” Jones told Rolling Stone. “All kinds of thoughts went through my head because I figured that I was going to die.”

Jones continued to perform when possible, using the stage as therapy. “When I walk out [onstage], whatever pain is gone,” Jones said. “You forget about everything. There is no cancer. There is no sickness. You’re just floating, looking in their faces and hearing them scream. That’s all that is to me.”
    The group’s last album, It’s a Holiday Soul Party, was released in 2015. Speaking to Rolling Stone earlier this year, Jones expressed interest in recording a gospel album with the Dap-Kings, repeating her mantra, “I have cancer; cancer don’t have me.”

Jones’ rep wrote in a statement that donations may be made to The Lustgarten Foundation, James Brown Family Foundation and Little Kids Rock.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Terrible year for losing lauded musicians.

RIP George Michael 🙁

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38432862

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^ Six more days and another year begins.

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

P.S. I am not a fan of his, but if there is a song from him that I don’t mind, its “I’m Never Going To Dance Again”. I was a little kid when that song was popular.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^ Six more days and another year begins.

WHAT

RIP Michael. Will be truly missed.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by  EmmyWinner.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

Terrible year for losing lauded musicians.

RIP George Michael ????

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38432862

This one hits me close to home. I am devastated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

I was just listening to “Last Christmas” today. How incredibly eerie and tragic. 🙁

ReplyCopy URL
    kingofrapmusic17
    Participant
    Topics:

Before the news broke out, I was just watching the 1989 American Music Awards on YouTube where George Michael was the man of the night winning 3 awards for his “Faith” album. Few hours later, I read that he’s dead. What are the odds? The same thing happened with Prince. I was listening to “Glam Slam” on my laptop and then I turn on AMP radio around 8am western time and the announcer said that Prince had died. We live in a strange world. God rest all of the souls we lost. And last but not least……FUCK 2016!

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

R.I.P. George Michael. 🙁

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Too young, extremely talented. Will be missed. RIP

ReplyCopy URL
    JB
    Participant
    Topics:

So devastated to hear of George Michael’s passing. He was my favorite male singer of all time. His music was gorgeous, fun, inspirational, challenging, sexy and legendary. He is an icon for a reason and he will be missed indeed.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
Reply To: 2017 Music In Memoriam Thread (Chester Bennington, Glen Campbell, Walter Becker)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.