Home Forums Music 2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
  • Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Predictions on who will be inducted?

The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2017 are in, and the list includes Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Depeche Mode, Electric Light Orchestra, Jane’s Addiction, Janet Jackson, Journey, the Cars, the Zombies and Yes. The rest of this year’s hopefuls are Bad Brains, Chaka Khan, Chic, J. Geils Band, Joan Baez, Joe Tex, Kraftwerk, MC5 and Steppenwolf. The top vote-getters will be announced in December and inducted next April at a ceremony at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. HBO will broadcast the ceremony later in the year.

For the fifth consecutive year, the public will have the opportunity to vote alongside the more than 800 artists, historians and music industry insiders of the Rock Hall voting body. The top five acts will comprise a “fan’s ballot” that will count as one of the ballots that determine the class of 2016.

To be eligible for this year’s ballot, each nominee’s first single or album had to be released in 1991 or earlier. Some of the nominees have appeared on previous ballots, but this is the first appearance for Bad Brains, Depeche Mode, Electric Light Orchestra, Jane’s Addiction, Joan Baez, Journey, Pearl Jam, Steppenwolf, and Tupac Shakur. It’s Pearl Jam and Shakur’s first year of eligibility, while Chic earned a Hall of Fame record with 11 ballot appearances. It’s the fifth for Joe Tex, the fourth for the J. Geils Bands and Kraftwerk and the third for Yes.

In a change of tradition, the Hall of Fame has announced the individual members of each band that will be honored. Pearl Jam have had five drummers, but only current drummer Matt Cameron and founding member Dave Krusen will be inducted should they make it in. Electric Light Orchestra has had many musicians come and go over the years, but just Jeff Lynne, Roy Wood, Bev Bevan and Richard Tandy made the cut. The classic Steve Perry lineup of Journey is listed along with founding keyboardist/singer Gregg Rolie. As far as Yes, original singer Jon Anderson is on the ballot along with drummers Bill Bruford and Alan White, keyboardists Tony Kaye and Rick Wakeman, guitarists Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin and bassist Chris Squire. Keyboardist Vince Clarke left Depeche Mode after their first album Speak & Spell, but he is listed along with the rest of the band.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is often the one place where estranged bands reunite for a single evening. The most notable potential reunions possible from this class include Journey with Steve Perry, Yes with Anderson, Bruford, Rabin, Kaye and Wakeman, ELO with Bevan and Wood, the 1970s lineup of Kraftwerk, Jane’s Addiction with original bassist Eric Avery, J. Geils Band with guitarist John Geils and drummer Stephen Jo Bladd and Depeche Mode with Clarke and keyboardist Alan Wilder.

Last year’s Hall of Fame class included N.W.A, Steve Miller, Cheap Trick, Chicago and Deep Purple.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: HORROR at the Oscars! Chapter III (1980-1998)

Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Lots of first-timers in the roster. Pearl Jam and Tupac look like locks. Maybe Depeche Mode, Janet, Journey, and Jane’s Addiction to fill out the inductees?

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Janet Jackson and 2Pac better get inducted.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Pearl Jam, Journey, and 2pac should get inducted, although is Yes STILL not in there?! I feel like they’re just so iconic of a classic rock-and-roll band, I’m surprised they haven’t been inducted already by this point.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I just hope Chic, after more than a decade of nominations with no induction, at last makes the cut.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: HORROR at the Oscars! Chapter III (1980-1998)

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

Joan Baez is my number one choice for induction this year. She was a performer at the original Woodstock festival, she has been touring for years and still is, she stood up for her political beliefs whether it was unpopular or popular, she has amassed a fantastic catalogue of music, and I could go on and on.

ReplyCopy URL
    Red Duke Mata
    Participant
    Topics:

Pearl Jam and Tupac are locks for induction. I hope my fave Janet gets in this time since women are so underrepresented in this thing. The other two slots are up in the air. Depeche Mode and Yes seem like a good thing..but who knows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Just noticed that Tupac and Janet Jackson could make the final list in the same year. “Poetic Justice” realness!

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Guys, I have no idea whether they will be even nominated or not, but Kratfwerk are some of the greatests in the history of music. Their place belong right next to people like Bach and Miles Davis. That said, they’re not “rock and roll” musicians.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Guys, I have no idea whether they will be even nominated or not, but Kratfwerk are some of the greatests in the history of music. Their place belong right next to people like Bach and Miles Davis. That said, they’re not “rock and roll” musicians.

The Hall of Fame doesn’t have much in the way of genre bias.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

If I had to guss who is going to make it in this go around, it would be:
    1) Chic (They have been on that ballot long enough….put them in already!)
    2) Yes (They should be in there already. 3rd time should be the charm)
    3) Janet Jackson (should have been in on the first nom.)
    4) The Cars (Second time should be the charm for them hopefully)
    5) Joan Baez (She should get on her first shot).

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Pearl Jam needs to get in. Enough said.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bychance
    Participant
    Topics:

Janet Jackson needs to be inducted.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh My God!!! You are so right about the Poetic Justice realness.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

I really want Janet Jackson to get in, but i have a bad feeling she’ll have to wait a few more times to get in.

I also have a question about someone else: Mariah Carey is technically eligible to be inducted at this point, do you guys think she’ll ever get nominated?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
Reply To: 2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.