Home Forums Music 2018 Grammy Award Discussion (Continued)

2018 Grammy Award Discussion (Continued)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 1,446 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • BreakerofChains
    Participant
    Topics:

October predictions: General Field RECORD OF THE YEAR Luis Fonzi & Daddy Yankee feat. Justin Bieber, “Despacito” Kendrick Lamar, “HUMBLE.” Bruno Mars, “That’s What I Like” Portugal. The Man, Feel It Still Ed Sheeran, “Shape of You” ALBUM OF THE YEAR Kendrick Lamar, DAMN. Metallica, Hardwired… to Self-Destruct Ed Sheeran, Divide A Tribe Called Quest, We Got It from Here… Thank You 4 Your Service Shania Twain, Now  

What?? You’re usually one of the best at GF predictions, partially because you have no real bias (since you hate everyone equally lol) so I’m surprised that you are including Shania Twain in AOTY. As someone mentioned, it was panned critically, and will drop like a rock on the charts despite beating out her poor competition. She will have no hit singles. Her songs don’t even do that well on country radio. I don’t even think she makes the top 20.

ReplyCopy URL
    darrenc95
    Participant
    Topics:

IDK about the R&B committee allowing DJ Khaled to be nominated for R&B Vocal Performance… I can see the song being nominated in R&B Song or even Rap/Sung Collaboration, but not R&B Vocal (as big as the song was).

Speaking of which… random thought… no one is currently predicting DJ Khaled in the General Field. He has a LOT of good will in the music industry and a lot of love. Anyone think he might surprise this year and get a Record of the Year nomination (or SOTY) for “Wild Thoughts”??? Or gasp… would they even go as far as to nominate him in Album of the Year???????

Just throwing that out there.

I don’t see DJ Khaled in the general field. There’s bigger (and better) hits to choose from than Wild Thoughts and I’m the One.

I don’t even think he’ll be nominated for Rap Album now that there’s a review committee for rap, and especially given the amount of strong contenders this year: Kendrick, Drake, Jay, Migos, A Tribe Called Quest, Big Sean, Logic, and Macklemore, just to name a few.

I’m expecting 2-4 nominations for him: R&B Performance for Wild Thoughts, Rap/Sung Performance and possibly Rap Song for I’m the One, and possibly a second Rap/Sung nomination for Shining.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

With that being said, just to remind you, Taylor Swift is the first female artist to win AOTY twice. So I wouldn’t talk trash about her chances at the grammys. If anything, she’s always more likely to win at the grammy’s than Beyoncé, Rihanna etc…

Now I kinda wished Lemonade and Anti were competing in the same year as 1989 (and not 25). Beyonce and Rihanna would have thrashed the hell out of Taylor Swift. You can talk about Adele winning AOTY twice, but pls don’t mention Taylor Swift’s 2 AOTY wins. Taylor’s wins were pretty disgraceful and particularly hated by a majority of the posters in this forum.

Again, what’s different between me and you guys is that I’m not biased. I don’t like Taylor Swift, but I’m not going to trash talk her chances just because I don’t like her, in spite of the facts that support the opposite.

Taylor, at 19, with a country, already beat Beyoncé, and Gaga at her peak (in 2010). So let’s not wish it would’ve happened since it already did. Rihanna’s ANTI didn’t come anywhere close to AOTY. Not sure how it would’ve beaten Taylor’s 1989.

I like Beyoncé and Rihanna, but as per the facts, they wouldn’t have beaten TS. Sorry…

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

With that being said, just to remind you, Taylor Swift is the first female artist to win AOTY twice. So I wouldn’t talk trash about her chances at the grammys. If anything, she’s always more likely to win at the grammy’s than Beyoncé, Rihanna etc…

Now I kinda wished Lemonade and Anti were competing in the same year as 1989 (and not 25). Beyonce and Rihanna would have thrashed the hell out of Taylor Swift. You can talk about Adele winning AOTY twice, but pls don’t mention Taylor Swift’s 2 AOTY wins. Taylor’s wins were pretty disgraceful and particularly hated by a majority of the posters in this forum.

Again, what’s different between me and you guys is that I’m not biased. I don’t like Taylor Swift, but I’m not going to trash talk her chances just because I don’t like her, in spite of the facts that support the opposite.

Taylor, at 19, with a country album, already beat Beyoncé, and Gaga at her peak (in 2010). So let’s not wish it would’ve happened since it already did. Rihanna’s ANTI didn’t come anywhere close to AOTY. Not sure how it would’ve beaten Taylor’s 1989.

I like Beyoncé and Rihanna, but as per the facts, they wouldn’t have beaten TS. Sorry…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Why are some of you putting You want it darker by Leonard Cohen in Pop Album? It clearly doesn’t belong there.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Marco B..
    ReplyCopy URL
    darrenc95
    Participant
    Topics:

Predictions in all the other main album categories:

BEST ROCK ALBUM
    Leonard Cohen – You Want It Darker
    Foo Fighters – Concrete and Gold
    Green Day – Revolution Radio
    Imagine Dragons – Evolve
    Metallica – Hardwired… To Self-Destruct

BEST URBAN CONTEMPORARY ALBUM
    Childish Gambino – “Awaken, My Love!”
    Kehlani – SweetSexySavage
    Khalid – American Teen
    SZA – Ctrl
    The Weeknd – Starboy

BEST RAP ALBUM
    Drake – More Life
    Jay-Z – 4:44
    Kendrick Lamar – DAMN.
    Migos – Culture
    A Tribe Called Quest – We Got It from Here… Thank You 4 Your Service

BEST COUNTRY ALBUM
    Lady Antebellum – Heart Break
    Miranda Lambert – The Weight of These Wings
    Little Big Town – The Breaker
    Thomas Rhett – Life Changes
    Chris Stapleton – From A Room: Volume 1

ReplyCopy URL
    darrenc95
    Participant
    Topics:

Why are some of you putting You want it darker by Leonard Cohen in Pop Album? It clearly doesn’t belong there.

It’s very common for softer rock albums to end up in Pop. We’ll see when the submissions come out.

ReplyCopy URL
    BreakerofChains
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t like Taylor Swift either but 1989 would have destroyed ANTI (and Anti was probably in my top 5 albums of last year). It probably would have beat Lemonade as well since voters favor musicians/songwriters/melodies/etc though it would have been close.

ReplyCopy URL
    Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

Girl…so because Rihanna has never won an AOTY award that means her 8 GRAMMYS, yes 8, are less credible? Would you say the same thing about JAY-Z, Kanye West, or Aretha Franklin? Each received 20+ awards but never won in the General Field. All of them garnered most of their trophies in Genre categories. Are we to diminish their musical legacy because they didn’t happen to win a “prestigious” award? GTFOH! The logic by some of you on these forums are ridiculous.

Uhm, that’s not what I said. My main point was that Rihanna has two solo wins with no other name attached to help secure the win. If you just take away Jay-Z and Kanye West her amount of Grammy wins would already fall back to 4.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Robinladen.
    ReplyCopy URL
    darrenc95
    Participant
    Topics:

Lemonade v. 1989 would probably still have ended in a Beyoncé loss, although it would have been closer. 1989 was a very popular album and Taylor had votes from pop and country circles.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s very common for softer rock albums to end up in Pop. We’ll see when the submissions come out.

Fine enough. I just think it doesn’t sound like a “pop” album at all. Alternative Album is its right place, also considering the history of that category and its previous nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

As for Lady Gaga, same thing, her album Joanne (even though still the best selling female album in this eligibility period) is almost one year old. And she hasn’t released a single since October 2016. So if Million Reasons make it, it would be a miracle to be honest. With that being said, just to remind you, Taylor Swift is the first female artist to win AOTY twice. So I wouldn’t talk trash about her chances at the grammys. If anything, she’s always more likely to win at the grammy’s than Beyoncé, Rihanna etc… I feel these forums, instead of being a venue for predictions, are becoming a venue for throwing shade at other artists just because of different taste in music… You may dislike other artists, it’s fine. But belittling them just because they’re probably doing better than your favorite artists, is a little bit misguided.

What’s your problem? She gave her opinion, I don’t understand why you overreacted. Taylor came back with 2 fucking terrible songs, she will be nominated? WILL, it’s fair? HELL NO, there’s other songs that would be far more deserved to be. I can totally see Swift with a nom for ROTY, for Best Song Written For Visual Media and the country song she wrote.

Actually, Gaga has chances, she’s always singing that the Grammys, she’s on the media, her album was okay. When you talked about Gaga you gave your opinion, put your personal feeling on it, every does! If you not enjoying the thread just get the fuck out of here, is so simple!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

What’s your problem? She gave her opinion, I don’t understand why you overreacted. Taylor came back with 2 fucking terrible songs, she will be nominated? WILL, it’s fair? HELL NO, there’s other songs that would be far more deserved to be. I can totally see Swift with a nom for ROTY, for Best Song Written For Visual Media and the country song she wrote.

Actually, Gaga has chances, she’s always singing that the Grammys, she’s on the media, her album was okay. When you talked about Gaga you gave your opinion, put your personal feeling on it, every does! If you not enjoying the thread just get the fuck out of here, is so simple!!!

This M user made an entire thread about predicting Gaga where he was defending her chances lol. I’m not into personal attacks, but I actually find him rather bad at making his point.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sister mary eunice
    Participant
    Topics:

Pop Vocal Album
    Bruno Mars – 24K Magic
    Ed Sheeran – Divide
    Lady Gaga – Joanne
    Kesha – Rainbow
    Demi Lovato – Tell Me You Love Me

BEST POP SOLO PERFORMANCE
    24K Magic – Bruno Mars
    Look What You Made Me Do – Taylor Swift
    Love So Soft – Kelly Clarkson
    Million Reasons – Lady Gaga
    Praying – Kesha

ReplyCopy URL
    nick4bty
    Participant
    Topics:

I remember a few years back when people thought Fiona Apple’s Idler Wheel would get an AOTY nom because it had like a 90 on Metacritic, but it only ended up with an Alternative nom.   Same thing will happen to Lorde. No way in hell is she touching AOTY

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 1,446 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.