Home Forums Music 2018 Grammy Award Discussion (Part 3: NewCat Submissions Edition)

2018 Grammy Award Discussion (Part 3: NewCat Submissions Edition)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 1,414 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
darrenc95
JB_BelieberBoy_
M
  • wilfredpickles
    Participant
    Topics:

How was Single Ladies an unusual winner? It was undoubtedly one of the most impactful songs of the decade and one of the most well known of all time

It was an unusual winner for a writing award, and was a more obvious choice for a record or performance category, given how the songwriting awards tend to skew towards the more conservative picks (even by Grammy standards). I think it should’ve won ROTY, and would’ve swept both if possible, but like I said in the original post and people have pointed out previously, Beyonce split her submissions that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    alex00g2
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s turn it the other way around. Let’s see what albums scored more than 90 and charted top 5 on the BB 200 and got nominated? We’ll get Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar & Kanye West. If you think these guys got nominated thanks to critical acclaim rather than success, you’re clearly mistaken. The albums they got nominated for were VERY successful, and some are the peak of their careers. These are some of the BIGGEST names in the music industry. Lorde isn’t.

You asked for correlation…

Zero correlation, really… I’d like to see some pattern between critical acclaim and grammy nominations

Then given correlation, you want to talk about BIGGEST names. Good Kid MADD City was not a huge seller from day one and at that stage Kendrick was NOT one of the BIGGEST names. I’m not sure if we can call Channel Orange a VERY successful album either, other than the acclaim and influence on other artists.

From wikipedia:  Channel Orange debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 (2012) and sold 131,000 copies in its first week… as of September 2016, it has sold 686,000 copies in United States … certified Gold.

I’m certainly not suggesting that Lorde is a lock or favourite for an AOTY nomination, but if she received 0 nominations (as some have suggested) it would be a controversial snub. The same can not be said for a lot of others that have been mentioned as potential nominees.

Edit – forget to mention Kanye – despite being one of the biggest names in the music industry, his was the 90+ album that got snubbed for AOTY nomination. No Kanye West album since then has been nominated for AOTY either.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Gavin
    Participant
    Topics:

Not sure if it’s been answered in here already but has Tamar Braxton submitted at all? Would be ridiculous if not because her album was definitely good enough to be nominated..

ReplyCopy URL
    alex00g2
    Participant
    Topics:

Not sure if it’s been answered in here already but has Tamar Braxton submitted at all? Would be ridiculous if not because her album was definitely good enough to be nominated..

Try a search for Tamar Braxton on page 1 of the R&B Field Contenders thread:
    http://www.goldderby.com/forum/music/rb-field-contenders-submissions-needed/

She appears to have submitted to several categories including R&B Album.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

My final predictions:

– Added Imagine Dragons, and removed Taylor Swift. I just think this year has been great for Rock genre overall, and Imagine Dragons more specifically. It’s hard to ignore. Especially when they were nominated for RoTY already with a hit that has similar success to Thunder.

– Replaced The Weight of these Wings with Evolve. I do think they’ll go with a rock album this year. Evolve is such a good album.

– Added Sam Smith to SoTY and removed Sam Hunt. I think Sam Smith is more likely to be in SoTY than Sam Hunt (unfortunately).

Album Of The Year:

1. Ed Sheeran – Divide

2. Kendrick Lamar – D.A.M.N

3. Bruno Mars – 24K Magic

4. Lady Gaga Joanne

5. Imagine Dragons – Evolve

Record Of The Year:

1. Ed Sheeran – Shape Of You

2. Kendrick Lamar – Humble

3. Sam Hunt – Body Like a Back Road

4. Bruno Mars – 24K Magic

5. Imagine Dragons – Thunder

Song Of The Year:

1. Lady Gaga – Million Reasons

2. Bruno Mars – That’s What I Like

3. Ed Sheeran – Shape Of You

4. Kendrick Lamar – Humble

5. Sam Smith – Too Good at Goodbyes

ReplyCopy URL
    Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s be real, rock hasn’t had a good year since the nineties and Imagine Dragons’ hits are just as pop as current Taylor Swift. Having them in AOTY would mean nothing for rock music or rock fans.

If the rock experts want to push something, they will go for the Foo Fighters or Metallica. Not saying Imagine Dragons can’t get in but it won’t be because they want to reward rock for having a good year.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

One more reason to hope 1-800 will be snubbed:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/dance/8038267/chainsmokers-drew-taggart-co-wrote-logic-1-800-273-8255

According to Billboard, chainsmokers were the ghost writers for 1-800. No wonder why it’s lyrically weak lol. I don’t appreciate how Logic claims he’s the one who came up with the lyrics.

On top of that, Logic claims his song is the first song to tackle insecurities? How disrespectful! Did he not know about Sia “Breathe Me” which she wrote while fighting depression, or Pink’s “Fucking Perfect”, or Beyoncé’s “Pretty Hurts”, or Gaga’s “Born This Way” (which was even more successful than his, #1 for 6 weeks).

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

One more reason to hope 1-800 will be snubbed: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/dance/8038267/chainsmokers-drew-taggart-co-wrote-logic-1-800-273-8255 According to Billboard, chainsmokers were the ghost writers for 1-800. No wonder why it’s lyrically weak lol. I don’t appreciate how Logic claims he’s the one who came up with the lyrics. On top of that, Logic claims his song is the first song to tackle insecurities? How disrespectful! Did he not know about Sia “Breathe Me” which she wrote while fighting depression, or Pink’s “Fucking Perfect”, or Beyoncé’s “Pretty Hurts”, or Gaga’s “Born This Way” (which was even more successful than his, #1 for 6 weeks).

I disagree it’s lyrically weak, it’s actually above average, and not because of its topic alone, but also the way it was written. It’s not in your face, but it’s not extremely vague either, it’s a nice song lyrically wise.

And the Grammys already awarded THREE songs on the GF in recent history that had legal issues, credit issues, etc. It won’t be snubbed because of that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard Aniston
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you think Kesha will be nominated in SOTY? Because I feel that she won’t make it.

I think she will get nominated. I’m predicting her for SOTY and Pop Solo.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s turn it the other way around. Let’s see what albums scored more than 90 and charted top 5 on the BB 200 and got nominated?

We’ll get Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar & Kanye West. If you think these guys got nominated thanks to critical acclaim rather than success, you’re clearly mistaken. The albums they got nominated for were VERY successful, and some are the peak of their careers. These are some of the BIGGEST names in the music industry. Lorde isn’t.

Kendrick’s “first” album definitely got in on mainly critical and industry buzz. There were bigger rap albums that year and it was even less successful than Justin’s and Bruno’s albums, so no. Kanye also got in due to a lot of critical success. 50 Cent’s The Massacre was much bigger than Late Registration. Those artists had a perfect mix of commercial and critical success, and I’m sure this was discussed in the BRP meetings.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

@PoweR

Let’s not compare Kendrick’s debut album to Melodrama. First he debuted with 240k (double of melodrama first week sales). Secondly, he reached 1m in pure sales that same year, before the Academy started voting, whereas Melodrama is still stuck at 200k or so. He also had the highest debut sales of all Hip Hop albums in his release year. And after all, he was a new artist, so he is held to more lenient standards, unlike Lorde, which is why I said I don’t think neither will be nominated, but SZA is more likely to be in AoTY than Lorde, just because she had more success despite being a newer artist.

ReplyCopy URL
    JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s be real, rock hasn’t had a good year since the nineties and Imagine Dragons’ hits are just as pop as current Taylor Swift. Having them in AOTY would mean nothing for rock music or rock fans. If the rock experts want to push something, they will go for the Foo Fighters or Metallica. Not saying Imagine Dragons can’t get in but it won’t be because they want to reward rock for having a good year.

Evolve is indeed more pop than rock but that doesn’t make it ‘nothing’ for rock music. I adore Imagine Dragons and is a fact that they were able to release very good songs in every album, and they are a rock band, is undeniable. They deserve all recognition, and ‘Believer’ is rock and it is a hit so of course it means something for rock.

And what make Foo Fighters better than Imagine Dragons this year? Foo Fighters did a very normal album, they released much better stuff on previous albums, no incredible single, so I don’t think they’re that relevant this year. About Metallica you may have an argument, though I still think Imagine Dragons are more universal.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oscar Rodriguez
    Participant
    Topics:

Omg, some people think that an album with 2 number one singles, both x6 platinum, is less likely to be nominated than Ctrl and Melodrama…

Come Tuesday!

Are you talking about 24k Magic? Because it has 1 number one single (that stayed at the top for 1 week) and only That’s What I Like is 6x Platiinum

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s be real, rock hasn’t had a good year since the nineties and Imagine Dragons’ hits are just as pop as current Taylor Swift. Having them in AOTY would mean nothing for rock music or rock fans. If the rock experts want to push something, they will go for the Foo Fighters or Metallica. Not saying Imagine Dragons can’t get in but it won’t be because they want to reward rock for having a good year.

Evolve is indeed more pop than rock but that doesn’t make it ‘nothing’ for rock music. I adore Imagine Dragons and is a fact that they were able to release very good songs in every album, and they are a rock band, is undeniable. They deserve all recognition, and ‘Believer’ is rock and it is a hit so of course it means something for rock. And what make Foo Fighters better than Imagine Dragons this year? Foo Fighters did a very normal album, they released much better stuff on previous albums, no incredible single, so I don’t think they’re that relevant this year. About Metallica you may have an argument, though I still think Imagine Dragons are more universal.

He/she meant that Imagine Dragons aren’t relevant to the rock scene. They’re not taken seriously as a rock band. Too mainstream for that.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Like Xtina would say, HONEY GET REAL! Imagine Dragons aren’t new to RoTY. They were nominated there before. We already know how the Grammy’s feel about them.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 1,414 total)
Reply To: 2018 Grammy Award Discussion (Part 3: NewCat Submissions Edition)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.