Home Forums Music 2018 Grammy Award Discussion

2018 Grammy Award Discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 2,131 through 2,145 (of 2,309 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +18 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

It is also a committee that placed “Rich Girl” in Rap/Sung…

A song with DJ Khaled, Quavo, Chance The Rapper and Lil Wayne would definitely look too much like an outlier in Pop. However, those names would not look out of place in Rap, even with Bieber attached to it.

And to be fair, “Blurred Lines” and “Fancy” aren’t really as rap-heavy in the same way “I’m The One” is, and as crude as it may sound, the lead artists were white…. Not really the same.

“Hotline Bling” ended up in Rap, and there was no rap and could have been easily placed in the Pop field, but because Drake is seen as a rapper, it was placed in Rap. Do not underestimate what the committee feels is “Hip Hop” or “Rap” and what they feel is “Pop.” If “I’m The One” is pop, then so is “1-800,” but that’s being predicted for Rap/Sung.

“I’m The One” will not be anywhere near the pop field.

Also, more than one DJ Khaled song can be considered in the rap field. There’s really no rule that says that only one song can be considered, especially since DJ Khaled songs feature different artists.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  PoweR.
    ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Well for one, “Rich Girl” was placed in the Rap/Sung category YEARS before the rule changes. So that’s not a fair example.

“Fancy” can definitely be identified as a Rap song with a Pop hook. Iggy Azalea isn’t singing on that song. The same could be said for “I’m the One”. Just because a song features five rappers doesn’t mean that song can’t be categorized as Pop. The chorus and bridge of that song are as a poppy as any single released by most Top 40 artists.

“The Monster” won Rap/Sung Performance with a WHITE lead artist. Macklemore swept the Rap Field. So clearly they have no problem rewarding Caucasians in those categories.

And to be fair, that Logic song could go either way as well. Rap/Sung is weak this year hence why people are predicting it.

So if we aren’t to underestimate their placement, then why be so definitive about the song not going Pop? That’s a contradiction of opinion.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  circa 1993.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

It can be categorized as pop, but it won’t be. The Grammys will see all of those rappers’ names and nominated them in Rap. That’s my point.

I don’t believe “I’m The One” will go Pop and I believe it will be placed in Rap for the same reason “Hotline Bling” was placed in Rap and not Pop. I used that example in my post and I said why “Fancy” and “Blurred Lines” were placed in Pop, so it’s not really a contradiction. And compare Iggy, who didn’t have as much credibility in the rap community, to Eminem, who is undeniably a rap favorite. Macklemore submitted the poppier smash “Can’t Hold Us” to Pop Group. Iggy lacked the credibility for “Fancy” to be considered anything other than Pop. A course you will have examples of white artists in recent history going Rap instead of Pop, but those artists still had more credibility outside of Pop radio to be considered there, and I would say it’s easier for white American male rappers to be recognize in Rap than a White Australian female rapper.

And why exactly would Khaled’s label risk “I’m The One” not being nominated by going Pop anyway? “I’m The One” would be a helluva lot more competitive in Rap than it would be in Pop, and definitely more competitive than “Shining.” Just because Beyoncé’s and Jay-Z’s names are attached doesn’t mean they are contenders for the actual award. “I’m The One” was actually a big hit. “Shining” was not.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

If the GRAMMYs were that obsessed with placing BLACK rappers in their own field, then why would they nominate “See You Again” in Pop? That was led by Wiz Khalifa. Who we all know is NOT White or a singer. It’s because the hook of that song is POP. It was sung by Charlie Puth. “I’m the One” is in the same predicament (A popular Rap song with a Pop chorus sung by a Top 40 artist).

It’s also not inconceivable to believe that DJ Khaled submits to various genres in order to extend his nominations. Most Urban artists with Pop success tend to do so.

We will have to wait until GRAMMY submissions are leaked to be so sure that it isn’t going Pop. But until then we should keep an open mind and not be dismissive of its chances in both Fields. Because it can go either way.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, “Fancy” was a HUGE crossover record. Iggy even performed it on the BET Awards. So in what world was that song “not credible” enough to be considered Rap? Especially when her album, “The New Classic” was nominated in that same Field? It doesn’t add up bro.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, the Wiz Khalifa example was much better than the Iggy example you gave. So, I’ll give you that. But many people predicted “See You Again” in Pop.

Still, I find it hard to believe that “I’m The One” would be placed in Pop over Rap, and I also find it hard to believe DJ Khaled would risk an easy nomination in Rap just to maximize nominations he may not even get.

We’ll see come October/November. I like to keep an open mind, but after “Hotline Bling” being placed in the rap field, I think “I’m The One” will be placed there as well, if not it will be moved to rap.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, “Fancy” was a HUGE crossover record. Iggy even performed it on the BET Awards. So in what world was that song “not credible” enough to be considered Rap? Especially when her album, “The New Classic” was nominated in that same Field? It doesn’t add up bro.

It adds up perfectly because Iggy got a lot of backlash from the black community, despite those factors you brought up, and most of those factors were early in the song’s run anyway. It wasn’t that long ago.

And that album had nowhere else to go but Rap album (which she also got a backlash because she was seen as a threat to win there due to fairly weak competition outside of Eminem) Pop Album wouldn’t have fit no matter what. Still, not a good example.

ReplyCopy URL
    appleseedjohnny
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t say that they don’t have competition. I think “I’m The One” will be placed in Best Rap/Sung Performance, so that poses competition. Like I said, it depends on whether or not the committee goes crazy for Kendrick Lamar, which looks likely to be the case. He will definitely lead the nominations. Here’s what I predict for nominations: Album of the Year – DAMN. Record of the Year – “Humble.” Song of the Year – “Humble.” Best Rap Album – DAMN. Best Rap Song – “Humble.” Best Rap/Sung – “Loyalty.” feat. Rihanna Best Rap Performance – “Humble.” Best Music Video Video – “Humble”

He will easily win 5/6 of these.

Best Rap Performance

Best Rap Song

Best Music Video

Best Rap Album

Best Rap Sung (1-800 is still the dark horse for me.)

and, I’m still predicting him to win “album of the year.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Korbel Clinton
    Participant
    Topics:

I still wanna know why closer was nominated for pop duo ….. like I get they wanted to get more nominations by putting don’t let me down in dance recording (closer would have won as well)but I feel like closer would have been more of a rightfully earned win for dance recording than that horrible other song

ReplyCopy URL
    Korbel Clinton
    Participant
    Topics:

Since hotline bling was nominated and won rap/sung performance last year anything is possible lmao

ReplyCopy URL
    Rinolo Twenty-two
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, considering the new name and definition for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration, I think all rap/pop performances will be placed there, in order to make Best Pop Duo/Group Performance less crowded.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oscar Rodriguez
    Participant
    Topics:

DJ Khaled’s I’m the One will be placed in Rap. Lil Wayne, Chance the Rapper, and DJ Khaled have both been nominated in th field before, and the song has 3 rappers, which is enough to gain credibility.

Fancy had Iggy, and she didn’t have the support of the black community.
    See You Again was a soundtrack song and Wiz Khalifa has never been considered a legit critically acclaimed rappr (Chano and Lil Wayne).

Wild Thoughts will most likely be nomiinated in Pop.

ReplyCopy URL
    classicalandpop
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t comment on other fields besides pop. But I predict Bruno Mars will be the winner in the pop categories for album and “Thats what I like” for pop vocal performance, and a top contender in the general fields. Ed Sheeran I believe only had two singles which will be enough to get him a pop album nomination, but I’m doubting he will get an Album of the year nomination. If lady gaga submits “the cure”, I’m sure she will get a pop vocal performance nomination, but once again she didn’t have enough high charting singles to get a pop vocal album. Neither did Lorde, but she may get one pop vocal album. Katy Perry I believe will get a pop vocal album nomination. Doesn’t seem like there is much competition or excitement this year, atleast in the pop fields. Taylor swift may get a music video nomination or pop vocal who knows, it’s the grammys.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, who cares? DJ Khalid won’t be winning any Grammys.

ReplyCopy URL
    whiskywinehouse
    Participant
    Topics:

Will a song with a rapper as lead/featured artist be entered into Pop Duo/Group or Rap/Sung?

1. Is the lead artist a rapper? (If yes, prima facie Rap/Sung and if not, proceed directly to Qn 5)
    2. Has the rapper been an established artist who has been consistently nominated in Rap categories? (e.g. Jay-Z, Kanye West) (If yes, Rap/Sung)
    3. If the rapper has no or few previous nominations in Rap categories, is the featured singer an established urban artist who has many collabs with rappers (e.g. Beyonce, Rihanna, Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown) (If yes, Rap/Sung)
    4. If the featured singer is a non-urban artist, is the featured singer’s part a substantial part of the song (or highlight) which materially contributed to the song’s prominence and popularity? (If yes, Pop Duo/Group – See You Again and Fancy and If not, Rap/Sung)
    5. Is the lead artist a non-urban artist (e.g. Taylor Swift)? (If yes, Pop Duo/Group)
    6. Is the lead artist an established urban artist? (e.g. Beyonce, Rihanna, Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown) (If yes, prima facie Rap/Sung)
    7. Is the featured rapper’s part substantial part of the song (or highlight) which materially contributed to the song’s prominence and popularity? (If yes, Rap/Sung – e.g. Freedom; If no, Pop Duo/Group – e.g. Suit & Tie, Work, Blurred Lines)

So applying these rules to the DJ Khaled songs,

DJ Khaled should be considered a rap artist since he has only been nominated in rap categories. (Though he practically does nothing except shouting his name and “We the best” at the start of every fucking song)

Wild Thoughts: Rihanna and Bryson Tiller are urban artists, so the song should go to Rap/Sung

I’m The One: Justin Bieber (the featured singer) is undeniably pop and his poppy hook is the highlight of the song, so the song should go to Pop (We can ignore the non-substantial and forgettable verses by Quavo, Chance and Lil Wayne)

That being said, I hope that both his songs will NOT get nominated bcos they are dreadful. And he’s certainly NOT going to win either side any way lol.

In any case, he has a higher chance with Wild Thoughts in Rap/Sung since Pop Duo/Group has been very crowded this year (with all the dance-pop collaborations like I Feel It Coming, Stay, Something Just Like This). Rap/Sung has been pretty weak, with few contenders like Loyalty, Unforgettable, etc.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 2,131 through 2,145 (of 2,309 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.