2018 Grammy Award Discussion

Home // Forums // Music // 2018 Grammy Award Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 1,240 total)
Created
Profile photo of Luis Vtale
7 months ago
Last Reply
2 hours ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
Profile photo of Lotus
Profile photo of Bud
  • Profile photo of sandysandy
    Participant
    Topics:

These artists are nominated for grammy award 2018
    Bruno Mars
    Lady Gaga
    The Weeknd
    Ed Sheeran

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of Larry AbuliakDjoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m perfectly aware of the bias against urban acts. I’m also aware that lauryn hill and outkast have both won aoty. For some reason people are speaking as if that never happened or like it can’t happen again. We aren’t talking about some random rapper, we are talking about kendrick lamar. He is highly respected. He has performed at the grammys twice already. I don’t think lauryn hill or outkast could say that for the years they won. He has already been nominated for aoty twice. I don’t think that was the case for lauryn hill or outkast. We are only halfway through the year so i understand that there are more albums to be released but for now i still believe he is most deserving at this point. For the person that said he was going to lose to some white girl, which white girl has released a great album since october? lol

I think the primary difference is that Lauryn Hill and Outkast’s music was more accessible to the general public. Kendrick Lamar is more well-known with younger skewing audiences, and his music is not played on Top 40 radio. If the theory that the Grammy voters are primarily older is true, then I could easily see how Kendrick Lamar would be overlooked for a different artist. This is purely in regard to urban acts, because let’s not forget recent wins for Daft Punk and Arcade Fire having most of the general public saying “who?” I’m not saying that Lamar isn’t worthy (haven’t listened to the album yet) but I’m just looking at past history.

I was going to say the same thing. Lauryn Hill and OutKast had major mainstream pop radio hits. They appealed to a wide spectrum. Kendrick Lamar’s appeal is too narrow. He needs hits as big as Black Beatles and Bad and Boujee to have a chance at AOTY.

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

Billboard has an interesting article about Lady Gaga forgoing the terrible (my adjective) Joanne by releasing a new single that goes back to her dance roots:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7767610/lady-gaga-the-cure-joanne-career-correction

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of Dee JayPoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I was going to say the same thing. Lauryn Hill and OutKast had major mainstream pop radio hits. They appealed to a wide spectrum. Kendrick Lamar’s appeal is too narrow. He needs hits as big as Black Beatles and Bad and Boujee to have a chance at AOTY.

Well, he’s just in luck because “Humble.” is predicted to top the Billboard Hot 100 next week.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of LotusXtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Kendrick Lamar will get the most nominations like all the urban acts do. Voters will feel at ease relegating all of K-Dot’s wins to the Rap field like last time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of JasonLannisterJasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

I do think Kendrick could win, because the competition is so tame. Sheeran is not winning. Even if Stapleton delivers, I just don’t see the excitement building around him. I also think people see Kendrick as a true artist and the actual mastermind behind his own music, unlike Beyonce. At this point, he IS overdue. His sales are also significant (certainly better than Beck’s). It would feel like a political statement. The U2 collab may appeal to the rock branch.

They don’t care. Beyonce would have to make a bigger and better I Am Sasha Fierce (her worst album) to win and right now, she doesn’t care about making pop music. Lemonade wasn’t even one type of genre and they still didn’t give a fuck. They’ll give Kendrick a whole bunch of nominations and then rob him for the third time.

I think is just not right to compare Kendrick to Beyonce. I need to remind you that Beyonce is just Beyonce because of Sasha Fierce, Bey without Single Ladies? Helo? If I Were a Boy? All singers need the hits. Lemonade is a visual album, most of the songs require a video. In addition, the samples everywhere, do u know why it there, don’t u? When a song is just not good enough and the writers can’t find something, then..? They put a sample. Moreover, the quantity of writers. Kendrick came again with quality, and if he doens’t win AOTY it will be because rap is not universal, not exactly because of the album.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of soulladysoullady
    Participant
    Topics:

Ok it seems that everybody is basically saying kendrick isn’t big enough. So how big do you belleve an urban artist has to be to truly be in the running for aoty? Kendrick is on track to have the biggest sales week of the year, #1 album(his third), possibly a #1 song(his first), he is closing out coachella, best reviewed album this year, and he has been nominated before so the academy knows very well who he is lol at this point I think his biggest problem would be if another rap/r&b album gets nominated because that would obviously split his vote. Bruno would be the only other artist i think could do that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of Eric CloseEric Close
    Participant
    Topics:

I think is just not right to compare Kendrick to Beyonce. I need to remind you that Beyonce is just Beyonce because of Sasha Fierce, Bey without Single Ladies? Halo? If I Were a Boy? All singers need the hits. Lemonade is a visual album, most of the songs require a video. In addition, the samples everywhere, do u know why it there, don’t u? When a song is just not good enough and the writers can’t find something, then..? They put a sample. Moreover, the quantity of writers. Kendrick came again with quality, and if he doens’t win AOTY it will be because rap is not universal, not exactly because of the album.

You do realize Kanye is notorious for his use of samples, right? And as much of a scumbag as he is in person, no one would deny his artistic brilliance. Kendrick is no different when it comes to his music. He has producers doing his beats for him and most of them use samples acquired from other songs. “LOYALTY.” even uses a sample from “24K Magic”, a very recent and very well-known song. Directors like Tarantino, Chris Nolan, even Scorese or Coppola also get inspiration from other people’s works. What counts is the quality of their artistic vision, which both Kendrick and Beyoncé excelled in on their last albums, which are easily to compare since they represent two amazing artists at the top of their games.

And how do you label a music video a crutch? Lemonade and Beyoncé were visual albums because she created them that way, and I’ve seen maybe two videos total between the two of them, so I can tell you firsthand that they stand on their own without the visual element.

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, he’s just in luck because “Humble.” is predicted to top the Billboard Hot 100 next week.

To top the billboard charts these days you don’t need a big radio hit, which you needed back in the day. I listen to all of the pop radio stations here in NYC and haven’t heard Humble. once. It needs to be get to the level of The Shape of You’s popularity, which is all over radio, for him to have a chance at AOTY.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of Graeme O'NeilGraemeONeil
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree that Kendrick’s music doesn’t have a wide appeal, but he’s got a lot of factors in his favour. “Humble” is his biggest hit on the Hot 100 ever. His album sales are HUGE (maybe the biggest opening of the year so far), and I also think there is going to be a bit of a “Moonlight” mentality at the Grammys next year. I think they are going to want to award an “urban” album after the Beyonce backlash and so many people, including Adele, calling them out on it. Kendrick is set to benefit from that. Not that he doesn’t deserve to win, but that’ll all help.

In this week’s releases…John Mayer kinda clouded things by releasing it in parts, but his “The Search Of Everything” is stellar. It’s his best (and most pop-friendly) album since Continuum. He’s a strong candidate for Pop Vocal Album.

On the other side of things, Sheryl Crow has made some of the best albums of the last quarter century…which makes “Be Myself” underwhelming. I mean it’s alright, but she’s capable of way more. No Grammy love for this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of Dee JayPoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

To top the billboard charts these days you don’t need a big radio hit, which you needed back in the day. I listen to all of the pop radio stations here in NYC and haven’t heard Humble. once. It needs to be get to the level of The Shape of You’s popularity, which is all over radio, for him to have a chance at AOTY.

Yeah, but if it becomes a big hit without being played on pop radio, it might entice radio programmers to spin the record.

Regardless of that, Kendrick’s chances this season are much better than they were before for the following reasons:

Big single
    Big album sales
    Backlash from Beyoncé losing this year
    Critical acclaim
    Third consecutive nomination

His urban following hurts him here, but I think you are shortchanging him the same way you did Chance The Rapper in Best New Artist.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by Profile photo of Dee Jay PoweR.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m only going by Grammy history. If the Grammys honor an urban album in AOTY that only has urban appeal then I will change my way of thinking in the future, but until then I only go by the years and years of Grammy voting. You also can’t give Moonlight as an example because of the way Best Picture is voted on. If the Grammys had the same voting rules then it would be a totally different story.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of Rinolo Twenty-twoRinolo Twenty-two
    Participant
    Topics:

Kendrick is getting at least three grammy for now: Rap Album/Perf/Song.
    “Humble” will definitely be at the VMA’s, I can see it nominated for Music Video at the grammys. If this year keeps weak until the deadline, it could sneak into ROTY and SOTY. Kendrick will top nominations again.

I don’t see “DAMN” winning a AOTY at all, the album sounds flatter than his previous works, and also it has a lot of producers, featured artists and sampled music.

DAMN – Kendrick Lamar
    Featured artists: Rihanna, Zacari & U2
    Producers: Anthony “Top Dawg” Tiffith, Dr. Dre, 9th Wonder, The Alchemist, Bēkon, BadBadNotGood, Cardo, DJ Dahi, Greg Kurstin, James Blake, Mike Will Made It, Ricci Riera, Sounwave, Steve Lacy, Terrace Martin, Tae Beast & Teddy Walton
    Engineers: 9th Wonder, Brock Korsan, James Hunt, Sounwave & Mike Bozzi

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of LotusXtina
    Participant
    Topics:

I can totally see “HUMBLE.” getting ROTY, SOTY and Music Video nominations. Of course, Kendrick Lamar won’t win in the General field.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of Chriscirca 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

All of the Urban albums that have won AOTY had at least one huge #1 single. I think “Humble” topping the charts proves that Kendrick does have a wide appeal. I would not be surprised if he wins.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 1,240 total)
Reply To: 2018 Grammy Award Discussion

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.