Home Forums Music 2018 Grammy Award Discussion

2018 Grammy Award Discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 2,309 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +18 hidden )
replies
views
users
Xtina
Oscar Rodriguez
PoweR
  • Radiomon
    Participant
    Topics:

Btw, will be hard for Despacito even get a nod. Just look at Gangnam Style, Hips Don’t Lie, Macarena etc

ReplyCopy URL
    wehan6
    Participant
    Topics:

Btw, will be hard for Despacito even get a nod. Just look at Gangnam Style, Hips Don’t Lie, Macarena etc

MTE. despacito won’t be nominated

ReplyCopy URL
    wehan6
    Participant
    Topics:

will something just like this be submitted to pop duo/group or dance recording?

ReplyCopy URL
    Bizz SC
    Participant
    Topics:

I can see Ed Sheeran winning Best Pop Solo Performance, Best Pop Vocal Album and Record of the Year. I’m not sure about clean sweeping like Adele.

I cannot see two Brits dominating the Grammys back-to-back like that, and I just don’t feel Divide is that dominant outside of “Shape of You.”

If Sam Smith release his album before the deadline, then Pop Vocal Album will be a really though war between Sam Smith, Lorde, and Ed Sheeran. Unless, Lorde team submit Melodrama to Alternative Album, then Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith will have to split votes. This happened at the 2015 Grammy. Then, Lorde/Kendrick can easily win AOTY. I still think Kendrick is going to win AOTY. But in ROTY, It will be a little weak this year. There is not much of hits single this year. And even Despacito/I Don’t Wanna Live Forever could be in the ROTY nomination. Bu i hope Despacito won’t get ROTY nomination. Because, last year closer didn’t get that nomination. So hopefully, the generic song couldn’t win/get a nomination in the General Field this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard Aniston
    Participant
    Topics:

I think That’s What I Like is the current front runner for Record of the Year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rinolo Twenty-two
    Participant
    Topics:

Until now, “That’s What I Like” seems like the proper and expected choice for Record of The Year, and if it win, it will win Best Pop Solo Performance too, but there is still music to be released in the next few months. I forget about Sam Smith, the academy would vote for him over Sheeran any day, I’m not sure if he’s still relevant to top the charts. Otherwise, Sheeran has BPVA in the bag.

“Despacito”, the remix version is a mess, it doesn’t deserve to be nominated anywhere, but it could sneak into Pop Duo/Group Perf. I’m considering the original will have its success at the Latin Grammys, that should be enough.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought that “Gangnam Style” was ineligible because it was an online release and was never a single.

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

Looking back at the last 8 years of Album of the Year winners…

2017: Adele – 25
    Over 10 million copies sold (Biggest selling album of the year)
    Previous AOTY award winner
    #1 Billboard Hot 100 hit with “Hello”

2016: Taylor Swift – 1989
    6 million in sales (Best selling album of the year)
    Previous AOTY award winner
    3 #1 Billboard Hot 100 hits: “Shake It Off”, “Blank Space”, “Bad Blood”

2015: Beck – Morning Phase
    300,000 copies sold (Lowest selling album of nominees that year)
    Previous AOTY award nominee (for 2 previous albums, making this his 3rd)
    No Billboard Hot 100 hits
    Considered the veteran nominee in the category

2014: Daft Punk – Random Access Memories
    Just under 1 million in sales (First career #1 album, but either 3rd or 4th in highest sales amongst the nominees)
    Previous Grammy Winner, but not a previous AOTY nominee
    #2 Billboard Hot 100 hit “Get Lucky”
    Considered the veteran nominee in the category

2013: Mumford & Sons – Babel
    3.7 million in sales (Best selling album of the nominees)
    Previous Grammy nominee in General Field (but not AOTY)
    #12 Billboard Hot 100 hit “I Will Wait”
    Won against 3 new artists (Frank Ocean, The Black Keys, Fun) and the veteran of the category (Jack White)

2012: Adele – 21
    More than 10 million in sales (Biggest selling album of the year)
    Previous Grammy winner for Best New Artist (But no previous AOTY nomination)
    3 #1 Billboard Hot 100 hits “Rolling in the Deep”, “Someone Like You” and “Set Fire to the Rain”
    Won against 3 contemporary artists (Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars) and the veteran nominee (Foo Fighters)

2011: Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
    Apx 500,000 copies sold (lowest selling album of the nominees)
    Previous Grammy nominee (but not in AOTY)
    No hit singles
    Won against 2 pop artists (Katy Perry, Lady Gaga), a country artist (Lady Antebellum) and one hip-hop (Eminem… considered the veteran nominee).

2010: Taylor Swift – Fearless
    7 million copies sold
    Previous Grammy nominee in Best New Artist (but not AOTY)
    #4 Billboard Hot 100 – “Love Story”
    #2 Billboard Hot 100 – “You Belong With Me”
    Won against 3 pop artist (Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga) and the Dave Matthews Band (the veteran of the nominees).

5 times the award went to the biggest selling nominee. 2 times the award went to the veteran of the category (Beck, Daft Punk). And only 1 time, did AOTY go to “arguably” the album with highest critical acclaim (Arcade Fire).

Seeing as how the last 2 years, the award has gone to the highest selling album, I’m thinking this year NARAS might award a critical darling or vet instead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rinolo Twenty-two
    Participant
    Topics:

2011: Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
    Apx 500,000 copies sold (lowest selling album of the nominees)
    Previous Grammy nominee (but not in AOTY)
    No hit singles
    Won against 2 pop artists (Katy Perry, Lady Gaga), a country artist (Lady Antebellum) and one hip-hop (Eminem… considered the veteran nominee).

That was a sweet victory, it’s sad that we talk about sales to be necessary to win AOTY, when the grammys can pull upsets like that one, the best album won!

ReplyCopy URL
    JonCan
    Participant
    Topics:

MELODRAMA IS THE BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR DONT @ ME

ReplyCopy URL
    JakeOfAllTrades
    Participant
    Topics:

I want to derail the conversation slightly, just because I like the people talking here and want to know more about their opinions, so I’ll ask: What’s everyone’s personal AOTY so far? 

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

Ed Sheeran’s Divide is my PERSONAL AOTY so far this cycle. He’s a great storyteller and I appreciate lyrics the most regarding the aspects of music, so his album is my choice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

If you mean, AOTY in this Grammy cicle, then I’d pick – as I think I’ve already made clear enough – We Got It from Here… Thank You 4 Your Service by A Tribe Called Quest. It’s the only album I’ve given a 9/10 to in 2016 and 2017 so far.

If you mean, best album of the year so far… I’ve given 8.5/10 to Process by SAMPHA, A Thousand Skies by Clap! Clap!, Arca by Arca and to Crack-Up by Fleet Foxes. I’d probably pick A Thousand Skies (apparently we have some great music here in Italy too) or Crack-Up.

ReplyCopy URL
    LOVC
    Participant
    Topics:

Melodrama is my AOTY, I just can’t stop listening to it.

ReplyCopy URL
    JohnnyAppleSeed
    Participant
    Topics:

The rap categories will be interesting. With Jay Z’s album dropping I wonder what they will award him with?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 2,309 total)
Reply To: 2018 Grammy Award Discussion

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.