Home Forums Music 2018 Grammy Award Discussion

2018 Grammy Award Discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 2,309 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +18 hidden )
replies
views
users
Xtina
Oscar Rodriguez
PoweR
  • circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Kendrick is a lock to win in the Rap Categories. Jay-Z feels like old news. The GRAMMYs have moved on.

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard Aniston
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, I see Kendrick sweeping the Rap field again. Rap/Sung Performance is the only one that I can maybe see him losing.

ReplyCopy URL
    LOVC
    Participant
    Topics:

If he could win with “These Walls” he will probably do it again with “LOYALTY.” Rihanna has won that category four times.

ReplyCopy URL
    JohnnyAppleSeed
    Participant
    Topics:

If he could win with “These Walls” he will probably do it again with “LOYALTY.” Rihanna has won that category four times.

If it becomes a hit I see it being a contender. Rihanna’s hits usually win this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

5 times the award went to the biggest selling nominee. 2 times the award went to the veteran of the category (Beck, Daft Punk). And only 1 time, did AOTY go to “arguably” the album with highest critical acclaim (Arcade Fire).

Seeing as how the last 2 years, the award has gone to the highest selling album, I’m thinking this year NARAS might award a critical darling or vet instead.

Just to point, sometimes the biggest selling nominee is indeed the best album of the nominations. Like ’21’, for me a deserved win, the first time I heard it I was spechless. Also I agree completely with Babel victory.

ReplyCopy URL
    Final2
    Participant
    Topics:

MELODRAMA IS THE BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR DONT @ ME

I’ve been singing “Supercut” all day. The album is a rare one for me the only song I don’t like is “Liability (reprise)”. It’s like jam after jam.

ReplyCopy URL
    MovieManiac405
    Participant
    Topics:

No favorite album this year yet, but holding out hope for Arcade Fire, The Killers, Lana Del Rey…

My favorite songs released this year so far are…
    1. Radiohead “I Promise”
    2. Lana Del Rey “Love”
    3. Arcade Fire “Everything Now”
    4. Kendrick Lamar “Humble.”
    5. Lorde “Supercut”
    6. The Killers “The Man”
    7. Ed Sheeran “Shape of You”
    8. Harry Styles “Sign of the Times”
    9. Kendrick Lamar f/ U2 “XXX.”
    10. Lady Gaga “The Cure”
    11. Selena Gomez “Bad Liar”
    12. Miley Cyrus “Malibu”
    13. Lana Del Rey f/ The Weeknd “Lust for Life”
    14. Imagine Dragons “Whatever It Takes”
    15. Harry Styles “Ever Since New York”

ReplyCopy URL
    soullady
    Participant
    Topics:

Yea loyalty is being sent to radio already and they shot a video but i was kind of hoping that he would submit love for rap/sung performance but rihanna clearly has history of winning in this category

ReplyCopy URL
    Eric Close
    Participant
    Topics:

Kendrick is a lock to win in the Rap Categories. Jay-Z feels like old news. The GRAMMYs have moved on.

I agree. He had a decent hit with “Empire State of Mind”, but he’s way past his prime. All his wins this decade came from a collaboration with a good singer or Kanye. He could make a tremendous comeback, but like MMP2, I don’t see it picking up momentum toward February.

Yea loyalty is being sent to radio already and they shot a video but i was kind of hoping that he would submit love for rap/sung performance but rihanna clearly has history of winning in this category

Are submissions song for song? I assumed the album gets submitted and the voters decide what songs go for what nominations.

Either way, I wouldn’t count “LOVE.” out just cause “LOYALTY.” is getting the single treatment first. It had the higher peak, but “LOVE.” has had better staying power on the charts, not to mention better acclaim.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Jay-Z will get his usual Rap nominations. However, he won’t be a factor. Kendrick Lamar is the “it” thing right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oscar Rodriguez
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s get two things straight people.
    First, I can see Melodrama winning Pop Vocal. It will most likely be her first number 1, it’s being massively praised, it had a top 20 single (that flopped but still top 20), plus the Grammy’s really don’t like Ed Sheeran. If Ed Sheeran lost to fucking Sam Smith, I can see him losing to a previous Grammy winner, and a previous nominee in this category. I still think she should send the album as Alternative, but she can beat Ed Sheeran.
    And second, I love Kendrick Lamar so much but I won’t be surprised if we loses AOTY again. DAMN. is just not doing it for me. Sure it has a lot of sales and a #1 single but if Arcade Fire won over Eminem and Katy Perry, both of whom had #1 hits, way more sales, and were the public’s favorite, I can see DAMN. losing to ATCQ, Lorde and (God forbid) Ed Sheeran. DAMN. is just not as powerful as it should be.
    He still will sweep the rap field.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oscar Rodriguez
    Participant
    Topics:

Also worth noting, I don’t know if anyone had thought of this, but isn’t it weird that since 2011 only 1 AOTY had featured artists?

ReplyCopy URL
    Rinolo Twenty-two
    Participant
    Topics:

Apart from multiple producers, samples and songwriters, it’s well known grammy voters doesn’t like albums with multiple featured artists, unless they are respected ones, Daft Punk had a good selection of those for RAM and also Daft Punk are not well known for their vocals.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Lorde is not winning any AOTY trophy. WTF? Kendrick is definitely ahead of that girl. Let’s stop the fallacies.

How does one come to the conclusion that Ed Sheeran isn’t well-liked by NARAS or that Lorde is more of a favorite than he is?

As far as I recall, they both have the same amount of Grammys, in the same categories, and both have lost Pop Vocal Album at least once, but it’s Ed Sheeran who has more nominations overall.

But then again, I’m debating someone who thought Ariana Grande had a win on lock in the pop field and that Adele was either going home emptyhanded or with one award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Get real! Some of you posters need to stop sipping on henny. Unless Lorde sells like Adele, she is NOT winning AOTY and/or Best Pop Vocal Album.

You must have cataracts if you can’t see that Ed Sheeran is adored by the academy. He has six General field nominations (and one win) in four years. Sheeran makes me want to hurl, but facts are facts. Sam Smith had a #2 hit single and a platinum album to back up his wins.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 2,309 total)
Reply To: 2018 Grammy Award Discussion

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.